Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

empardopo
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

1943 cheat or not?

Post by empardopo »

Hi friends,

I've just seen this inp of the 1943. In it ABE get the score of 3,188,080,ok?
I think he use a special combinations of keys at the start of each round and gets special weapons for 60 seconds. Can it be considered a cheat or is legal?
He starts the game having shot gun for 64 seconds...

In this link, I can read the cheat definition
"Cheat Codes" redirects here. For the gaming website, see CheatCodes.com. For the American electronic dance music group, see Cheat Codes (DJs).

Cheating in video games involves a video game player using non-standard methods to create an advantage or disadvantage beyond normal gameplay, in order to make the game easier or harder. Cheats may be activated from within the game itself (a cheat code implemented by the original game developers), or created by third-party software (a game trainer) or hardware (a cheat cartridge). They can also be realized by exploiting software bugs; this may or may not be considered cheating based on whether the bug is considered common knowledge. Software bugs are very often considered software features and as long as they are common knowledge, it is questionable whether it is cheating.
special attentions to blue text. I don't know if in MARP that is considered as cheat.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings.
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re: 1943 cheat or not?

Post by Kale »

It depends, if getting EXACT frame by frame input combination then it's a macro, which is banned in MARP as for rule 2c:
c) At Marp, it is not permitted to use more than one key or button in MAME for the same arcade machine button simultaneously.

Example 1: While playing Hypersports, you map keys Q,W,E,R,T,Y to running button 1 and smash them simultaneously, to get unhuman button pushing speed -- NOT OK
Example 2: While playing Hypersports, you map 2 buttons and the joystick to running buttons...you use joystick at all events, except at skeets you use buttons (you don't use joystick and buttons same time) -- ok
Example 3: While playing Tron you use analog joystick for movement, but at lightcycles you use a keyboard -- ok
Example 4: While playing Fighter, you use button macros of joystick -- NOT OK
If otherwise the game permits that trick and there's no proof of macro usage then it's legal I think? Unless you want to debate exactly that, which is something a poll should eventually resolve if necessary.

PS: to launch WolfMAME with a basic input logger append -iv 1 to the command line launcher.
empardopo
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by empardopo »

I don't say that he is using a macro but he is using a keys/buttons combination at the start of each round getting advantages like shot gun, laset, ect.

You can see in the inp or in this video.

Please, anybody could see that inp or this. Both of them are using this keys/buttons combinatios.

Thanks in advance.

Note: I don't know how can I do a poll. Is it possible?
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

In general, codes you can use on the arcade are okay for MARP, so long as they don't make the game stupidly easy (ie: invincibility or lots of lives, etc...)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by GHEMANT »

Cheat = mame cheat (invincibility, infinite energy, infinite lives, save state etc.).

In 1943 the programmers have entered a special command code for each stage to increase effectiveness of the weapons. All players use from the beginning, you can use this in the real machine.
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

If it's kind of power-up like for bublbobl, it is ok
saulonpb2
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by saulonpb2 »

some one know what is the key combination of this game??
The Expert keyboard
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

To see combination - replay inp http://replay.marpirc.net/inp/a/b/0/vis ... olf155.zip with command line:
PS: to launch WolfMAME with a basic input logger append -iv 1 to the command line launcher.