tv-roms sets

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re: tv-roms sets

Post by simpsons99 »

PP are you for real ? Come on really.. Will you now cut the craps? Or you try to be some Simpsons99 clone?
If you have a FB Account I'm Brian Allen
On KLOV and other sites I'm Simpsons99
Arcade Game Scores
DKJR 1,073,800 Level F Kill screen !
DK3 TG MED Skill Level 1,365,000 Level 80?
PP.
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by PP. »

simpsons99 wrote:PP are you for real ? Come on really.. Will you now cut the craps? Or you try to be some Simpsons99 clone?
Upload an inp for bmclubmx and we' ll continue this "discussion" there :D
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

PP. wrote:
simpsons99 wrote:PP are you for real ? Come on really.. Will you now cut the craps? Or you try to be some Simpsons99 clone?
Upload an inp for bmclubmx and we' ll continue this "discussion" there :D
nope you said my name there .
If you have a FB Account I'm Brian Allen
On KLOV and other sites I'm Simpsons99
Arcade Game Scores
DKJR 1,073,800 Level F Kill screen !
DK3 TG MED Skill Level 1,365,000 Level 80?
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

And another thread that goes to la-la-land :|
kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by kranser »

So, as the Tourvision sets are now software lists, but still technically arcade games, does that mean that Parasol Stars has a chance to be listed in MARP along with the other tourvision games?
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze »

I'd say in their current state of emulation they're technically just console games, because none of the timer / automated game start logic that was unique to the arcade system is actually emulated, it's literally the same thing as running them in the PCE driver right now. Even if the timer logic was emulated, it would just automatically do the key inputs to start a game (bypassing the ability to change the game options) and then reset the machine if you ran out of time on your credit.

if anything they should probably just be delisted from MARP, or MARP should just expand to accept replays on anything MAME emulates that has a softlist entry, arcade, console or otherwise. These aren't 'real' arcade games, never have been, it's just home cartridges packed in epoxy and sold as arcade games by an unlicensed distributor.
Cicca
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Cicca »

Haze wrote:......or MARP should just expand to accept replays on anything MAME emulates that has a softlist entry, arcade, console or otherwise.....
This could bring to a major discussion....and eventually to the appearance of a MARP-SL branch of the site....although I strongly doubt, since MARP is so tight to arcade only gaming.....and so am I... ;-)
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

Haze wrote:I'd say in their current state of emulation they're technically just console games, because none of the timer / automated game start logic that was unique to the arcade system is actually emulated, it's literally the same thing as running them in the PCE driver right now. Even if the timer logic was emulated, it would just automatically do the key inputs to start a game (bypassing the ability to change the game options) and then reset the machine if you ran out of time on your credit.

if anything they should probably just be delisted from MARP, or MARP should just expand to accept replays on anything MAME emulates that has a softlist entry, arcade, console or otherwise. These aren't 'real' arcade games, never have been, it's just home cartridges packed in epoxy and sold as arcade games by an unlicensed distributor.
Never thought of this aspect, after reading the thread I'm eventually in agreement with you on delisting from MARP. As you said, if we keep those rankings, to be fair we would have to keep a ranking for any other console title emulated and that's too much to cope with.
Not that it matters too much for me but this seems like the most logical option imo.
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

Cicca wrote:
Haze wrote:......or MARP should just expand to accept replays on anything MAME emulates that has a softlist entry, arcade, console or otherwise.....
This could bring to a major discussion....and eventually to the appearance of a MARP-SL branch of the site....although I strongly doubt, since MARP is so tight to arcade only gaming.....and so am I... ;-)
http://www.homeactionreplay.org/
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Noooo, why are you sissies and doggies running after my scores! You did not run after them when other people uploaded on them! Cut the craps!!!

....I'm just kidding. It's console stuff so I'm not against seeing them archived/removed.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Not sure what's the problem here?

Aren't Tourvision games just like adding some clones, or perhaps comparable to Playchoice 10...
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Yes, Tourvision is just like Playchoice 10 or Megatech (but not Vs. or Megaplay, those games are modified for arcade use), they are essentially console games on a timer.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze »

right, although PC10 and Megatech were at least legal products created by the original manufacturers, Tourvision was just imported games shoved into custom cases without a license.

but yes, in all cases you're just playing console games, not arcade games. the ROM data for the bit you're playing is identical to the console game and they're running exactly as they would on a home system, they are unaware that they're being used in an arcade cabinet. In no case are you playing a real arcade game, or one that has been in any way modified or rebalanced for arcade use.

since 'HARP' looks essentially dead it might just be worth having a place on MARP where people can request things they'd like to compete in, and if enough people agree, allow it, but personally I'd say it was probably easier to just archive these 'not arcade game' titles if MARP does want to stick strictly to arcades rather than MAME as a whole.
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

HARP is dead because nobody is submitting stuff, but the infrastructure is still working I believe (and much better than MARP for so many reasons).

Reinventing the wheel is bad, and not going to happen anyway. Just play & submit stuff @ HARP if you bother so much :P .

As for MARP, banning console games here is only natural, might come up with a list if the general consensus is to do so.