Elevator Action leeching

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

User avatar
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2002 9:19 am

Re: Elevator Action leeching

Post by Phil Lamat » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:46 pm

I will write tomorrow a special rule to ban the "elevator blocked" technic.
Can someone check how many points exactly are to be substracted ?

User avatar
Chad
Tournament Coordinator
Posts: 4463
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2002 3:15 pm
Location: calif

Re: Elevator Action leeching

Post by Chad » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:04 pm

I estimated 48k, The elevator is frozen at 25k and then he gets out of the safe spot at 73k.
-skito

User avatar
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2002 9:19 am

Re: Elevator Action leeching

Post by Phil Lamat » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:01 pm

Ok, safe spot reached at 25300, and left at exactly 73000, which gives 47700 pts of leeching.
Score edited, and rules updated.

Almighty Dread
Button Masher
Button Masher
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:53 pm

Re: Elevator Action leeching

Post by Almighty Dread » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:59 am

Thanks for activating my account, George. I have no objection to your banning elevator jamming, as it makes the game easier. As you may now observe, I need no jammed elevators to help me kill a thousand men

User avatar
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists
Posts: 579
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2002 12:49 am
Location: Brasília, Brasil
Contact:

Re: Elevator Action leeching

Post by INNUENDO » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:26 pm

Could I suggest a rule for this game? Don´t do any kind of leeching being stopped in 7th floor.
Long life to good games

User avatar
BBH
Editor
Posts: 1564
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2002 7:06 am
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Elevator Action leeching

Post by BBH » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:03 am

Almighty Dread wrote:Thanks for activating my account, George. I have no objection to your banning elevator jamming, as it makes the game easier. As you may now observe, I need no jammed elevators to help me kill a thousand men
While your new recording doesn't use the elevator jamming trick, it still consists of sitting on floor 7 and killing enemies without making further progress in the level. I respect your ability to not get bored to death doing the most inane mind-numbing shit over and over, but trying to see who can stay awake the longest doesn't make for interesting competition. I agree with CKF's previous post that when the hurry-up music starts, it should be an indicator that you need to make progress and finish the level NOW - not stay in the center of floor 7 for an extended period of time.

Almighty Dread
Button Masher
Button Masher
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:53 pm

Re: Elevator Action leeching

Post by Almighty Dread » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:56 am

BBH wrote:While your new recording doesn't use the elevator jamming trick, it still consists of sitting on floor 7 and killing enemies without making further progress in the level. I respect your ability to not get bored to death doing the most inane mind-numbing shit over and over, but trying to see who can stay awake the longest doesn't make for interesting competition. I agree with CKF's previous post that when the hurry-up music starts, it should be an indicator that you need to make progress and finish the level NOW - not stay in the center of floor 7 for an extended period of time.
Your pathetically uninformed opinion doesn't concern me in the slightest. When you tell the Ms Pac Man players that they can't go around the maze dozens of times to ensure that they get the highest possible score because it isn't entertaining enough, you won't be a hypocrite for singling out my gameplay, but you'll still sound like the Jon Snow of gaming. When someone starts telling me what I can and can't do, that's when problems start. So, I've come up with a little principle, which I call 'the principle of non interference'. This principle states that no one should be told how to play a game, unless there is a compelling reason.

Compelling reasons include:-

1. Gameplay includes a point accumulation method which any muppet could execute.
2. Gameplay produces high score, but does not demonstrate high level expertise.
3. Gameplay exploits major bugs in the game's programming.

Compelling reasons do not include:-

1. Some mendicant's saying he didn't like the gameplay.
2. Demonstrably incompetent gameplay assessment.
3. Inappropriate application of gaming regulations.

Even with a compelling reason, telling people how they should play games should be a last resort measure. Persons who call for a ban on a gaming method without first having thoroughly examined said method are control freaks, and ought not to have any say in matters of intervention.

I am the inventor (and, possibly, sole practitioner) of the floor 7 point accumulation method. If you wish to learn a few facts about it, you will listen to what I have to say, and ignore the uninformed and simplistic opinions of those who have merely observed my method in action.

Firstly, defending a floor 7 position is not easy. Perhaps it looks easy when I do it, but anyone with a brain knows that something which seems simple in the hands of a master may actually be very complex. On floor 7, it's all about tracking your opponents, maintaining your shot accuracy, and not getting lulled into a false sense of security. Playing floor 7 is just like playing the rest of the game: most of the time, your opponents blunder into your bullets, and their shots are easy to avoid; but, every so often, there comes a critical moment, when one decision will see you survive, and another will see you dead. Anyone who can learn my method with little time and effort is entitled to dismiss it as “point leeching”. As of now, I have seen no evidence that anyone has earned said entitlement.

Since I've demonstrated a high level of expertise at the game, and have not exploited any bugs in order to attain my score, I see no compelling reason for anyone to interfere with the way I choose to play it. I did not play the game in this way to entertain anyone, I did it to make a score higher than anyone else's.

Since your powers of observation seem to be inadequate, I shall explain a couple of things. Firstly, I do not choose the amount of time I spend on floor 7. What I choose is to make as many points as possible, while the elevators are uncontrollable, a period which lasts approximately 70 minutes. Thus, if I wanted to spend only 30 minutes making points, I would have to commit virtual suicide by trying to complete the level using unresponsive elevators. Secondly, when elevator control is restored, I complete the level, therefore my gameplay is ultimately progressive. I have seen multiple replays on this website which display nonprogressive gameplay, and these have drawn no comment whatsoever. Unless you wish to garner a reputation for blatant double standards, I suggest you work on your arbitration skills.

Definition of terms used
Muppet: someone whose thought lacks originality and who is incapable of deep comprehension
Mendicant: someone who displays ignorance of common tools, such as the 'Esc' and 'F10' buttons
Last edited by Almighty Dread on Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

xelnia
MARP Serf
MARP Serf
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:42 am

Re: Elevator Action leeching

Post by xelnia » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:13 am

Almighty Dread wrote:Your pathetically uninformed opinion doesn't concern me in the slightest.
And then you go on to write 644 more words defending your gameplay...

Nobody's impressed with the condescending verbosity, man. You found a way to essentially break the game and make competition for the highest score an exercise in avoiding boredom...congrats. Any skilled EA player (of which there are many) can do what you've done on Floor 7. So, print yourself a nice little certificate for being the first to "Floor 7" yourself to the top of the leaderboards.

Almighty Dread
Button Masher
Button Masher
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:53 pm

Re: Elevator Action leeching

Post by Almighty Dread » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:32 am

xelnia wrote:Nobody's impressed with the condescending verbosity, man.
You don't speak for everybody, so this observation is invalid.
xelnia wrote:You found a way to essentially break the game and make competition for the highest score an exercise in avoiding boredom...congrats.
The opinion that execution of the floor 7 method is boring has not yet been proven to exist. Since no one has yet produced any evidence that they have successfully executed the method, no one is entitled to say that doing so is boring.
xelnia wrote:Any skilled EA player (of which there are many) can do what you've done on Floor 7.
Since this has not yet been proven, your comment is presumptuous, and so is worthless. I use a lot of words, but they all have a purpose. You, on the other hand, spout useless gibberish.

User avatar
BBH
Editor
Posts: 1564
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2002 7:06 am
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Elevator Action leeching

Post by BBH » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:35 am

Almighty Dread wrote:words
You're not making a very strong case for your argument by being an asshole. Just saying.

Almighty Dread
Button Masher
Button Masher
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:53 pm

Re: Elevator Action leeching

Post by Almighty Dread » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:38 am

BBH wrote:You're not making a very strong case for your argument by being an asshole. Just saying.
Whether or not I am an "asshole" is irrelevant, therefore your post is utterly useless.

User avatar
Barra
MARP Serf
MARP Serf
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:57 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Elevator Action leeching

Post by Barra » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:49 am

Almighty Dread wrote:
xelnia wrote:Nobody's impressed with the condescending verbosity, man.
You don't speak for everybody, so this observation is invalid.
I'm one person he speaks for. I'm sure there are many others

You're fast-tracking yourself on the way to becoming a Rudy. I strongly advise against this.
Andrew Barrow

Almighty Dread
Button Masher
Button Masher
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:53 pm

Re: Elevator Action leeching

Post by Almighty Dread » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:01 am

Barra wrote:I'm one person he speaks for.
Indeed, "one" person who shares an insignificant opinion. This, of course, does not make you special.
Barra wrote:I'm sure there are many others
Although you may be right, you have no way of being "sure", so this comment is garbage.
Barra wrote:You're fast-tracking yourself on the way to becoming a Rudy. I strongly advise against this.
Even if your reference weren't meaningless to me, your advice would still be useless. I am not participating in a popularity contest, I am not in the entertainment business, and I am not afraid to call people out for their hypocrisy.

User avatar
Barra
MARP Serf
MARP Serf
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:57 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Elevator Action leeching

Post by Barra » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:12 am

Almighty Dread wrote: Indeed, "one" person who shares an insignificant opinion
Does this therefore make your opinion insignificant? Or is it only those who disagree with you? Hardly seems impartial
Almighty Dread wrote: Although you may be right, you have no way of being "sure", so this comment is garbage.
I'll be sure when they have chimed in. Give it time.
Almighty Dread wrote: Even if your reference weren't meaningless to me, your advice would still be useless. I am not participating in a popularity contest, I am not in the entertainment business, and I am not afraid to call people out for their hypocrisy.
Popularity contest? No. High score chasing community? Yes. You should do right by those who possess the power to adjudicate your game play (which by the way, if you're wondering, is the whole community)
Andrew Barrow

Almighty Dread
Button Masher
Button Masher
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:53 pm

Re: Elevator Action leeching

Post by Almighty Dread » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:25 am

Barra wrote:Does this therefore make your opinion insignificant? Or is it only those who disagree with you? Hardly seems impartial
I did not express an opinion. I stated the fact that your opinion does not make you special. When you learn the difference between opinion and fact, your comments may attain some value.
Barra wrote:I'll be sure when they have chimed in. Give it time.
As you have no way of knowing that everyone who holds a view on the subject would express it in this forum, you will not "be sure". Your presumptions of certainty display complete ignorance of its definition.
Barra wrote:Popularity contest? No. High score chasing community? Yes. You should do right by those who possess the power to adjudicate your game play (which by the way, if you're wondering, is the whole community)
I was not "wondering". Anyone who wishes to "adjudicate" my gameplay may feel free to do so. I welcome the opinions of players who are open minded enough to try learning a new gameplay method. The rambling of talkers holds no interest for me.

Post Reply