What to do with old Tutankham scores

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

What to do with old Tutankham scores

Post by BeeJay »

Now that Barry has patched the source for Tutanhkam to make the left/right firing controls a joystick, which will prevent simultaneous left/right firing, what will we do with the scores on the older versions of Mame which may now not be possible for those players to achieve without the advantage of near simultaneous firing of the left/right lasers?

Do we add a special rule advising that you must use version 0.153 or greater, once 0.153 inclusive of Barry's patch has been released, and archive the previous scores that were achieved with an incorrect emulation of the left/right firing controls?

Do we just leave the existing scores, but put in a note that they were achieved on a version of Mame that had incorrect emulation of the left/right firing controls?

My feeling is that this is effectively fixing a bug in the emulation and the previous scores should probably be archived, but that's the purist in me speaking so I'd be interested in what other people think.

Here's some quotes from the discussions on the incorrect emulation of the firing controls: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15273#p58969
xelnia wrote:I think there is an issue with the emulation of Tutankham that needs to addressed. The arcade version of Tutankham is equipped with two joysticks, and one of those joysticks is a 2-way used for firing the laser either left or right. This means that a player can only fire in one direction at a time. However, in MAME, it is possible to fire in both directions simultaneously. The default mapping for the firing controls are Ctrl for left and Alt for right, so pressing Ctrl+Alt will result in a simultaneous left+right firing of the laser. This can provide an advantage for a player who is in a very rough spot. I'm not sure if this kind of situation is covered by the MARP rules, since the default controls allow this.
mahlemiut wrote:Clearly, the driver isn't set up as a dual joystick, as MAME does not allow opposing directions of a joystick to be pressed simultaneously.
Cheers,
BeeJay.
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re: What to do with old Tutankham scores

Post by simpsons99 »

huh ? 153 is not out yet?

How does this patch work? I have a TUT Machine .. I love the game but hate it in mame .. 2 buttons to fire is just wrong
If you have a FB Account I'm Brian Allen
On KLOV and other sites I'm Simpsons99
Arcade Game Scores
DKJR 1,073,800 Level F Kill screen !
DK3 TG MED Skill Level 1,365,000 Level 80?
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I didn't produce the patch, hap did. http://git.redump.net/mame/commit/src/m ... 7940a72a6b

It simply modifies the port definitions for firing to be a second 2-way joystick (like other dual-stick games) instead of independent buttons. MAME does not allow opposing directions on a joystick to be active simultaneously.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

simpsons99 wrote:huh ? 153 is not out yet?
What part of "once 0.153 ... has been released" did you fail to comprehend, as per the following text from my original posting?
BeeJay wrote:Do we add a special rule advising that you must use version 0.153 or greater, once 0.153 inclusive of Barry's(sic) patch has been released
simpsons99 wrote:How does this patch work? I have a TUT Machine .. I love the game but hate it in mame .. 2 buttons to fire is just wrong
The patch will make absolutely no difference to the physical controls you're using for playing the game on Mame, obviously, but will mean that Mame ignores one of the buttons if you try to press both of them at the same time as per the reply from Barry. There's absolutely nothing stopping you from using a controller with two physical joysticks and mapping those fire buttons to the left and right of the 2nd joystick with current Mame versions.
mahlemiut wrote:I didn't produce the patch, hap did. http://git.redump.net/mame/commit/src/m ... 7940a72a6b
My bad. I assumed, incorrectly, that you'd actually made the change to the source.

Cheers,
BeeJay.