5 Man Asteroids

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: 5 Man Asteroids

Post by The TJT »

So how long does it take to score 333 330 at Asteroids?
How often do you get an extra ship?

Marp top scores at other clones go over a million, best being over three. I don't know if they used saucer hunting or not but it certainly appears that the game is easily marathonable... so yes, 5 ships would probably be the best way to go.

But for parent romset only or for all romsets? If the rule is added to parent rom - what if the parent rom changes later to one of the clones?

Some games you can marathon but it's still a challenge doing so, since the game can end at any point... for example Tron, Track&Field, Star Wars etc. Of course it depends what you consider a marathon.

But I don't see much point in marathoning a game where you're never close to ending the game... having 20 ships in store etc. Asteroids is one of these, no?
CrazyKongFan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by CrazyKongFan »

The TJT wrote: If the rule is added to parent rom - what if the parent rom changes later to one of the clones?
The scores stay with that particular romset, no matter whether it's the parent, a clone, gets renamed, etc.
dickmoreland
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by dickmoreland »

The TJT wrote:So how long does it take to score 333 330 at Asteroids?
How often do you get an extra ship?

Marp top scores at other clones go over a million, best being over three. I don't know if they used saucer hunting or not but it certainly appears that the game is easily marathonable... so yes, 5 ships would probably be the best way to go.

But for parent romset only or for all romsets? If the rule is added to parent rom - what if the parent rom changes later to one of the clones?

Some games you can marathon but it's still a challenge doing so, since the game can end at any point... for example Tron, Track&Field, Star Wars etc. Of course it depends what you consider a marathon.

But I don't see much point in marathoning a game where you're never close to ending the game... having 20 ships in store etc. Asteroids is one of these, no?
I'm guessing it took about 50 minutes to get that score. People's scoring rate varies but an easy number to remember is that it takes right about 15 minutes to get 100k. You get an extra ship every 10k so it's pretty easy to build ships up. My 3.5M game took about 8 hours but I spent a lot of time screwing around. Playing while I was talking on the phone, eating and going to the restroom.

I'd actually prefer a one ship track as that's the most fun way to play the game IMO. To get a good 5 ship score, it will still take around a half hour of play and someone like McAllister can probably play for an hour on 5 ships. TG had a 1 ship track that got a lot of attention and it's a lot easier on the confirmers to check a one ship game vs a 5 ship game.

Anyways, the only arguments I see against are the same as what's in the Gyruss thread so maybe we can move this along?
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

dickmoreland wrote:Anyways, the only arguments I see against are the same as what's in the Gyruss thread so maybe we can move this along?
I'll start a poll to vote on this proposed rule change once this discussion thread has been up for a full 7 days (so tomorrow).