Gyruss: Vote

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Should Gyruss (gyruss) be changed to a 5-live only track?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:07 pm

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 16

BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: Gyruss: Vote

Post by BeeJay »

Success. I managed to get Aspie's to playback now as well:

Code: Select all

Aspie
Life  Score    Stage
1st   061,950  06
2nd   205,750  17
3rd   242,000  21
4th   247,150  21
5th   247,750  21
Unless I've missed one in the list somewhere, that should be all the existing Gyruss scores now adjusted for 5 lives.

Cheers,
BeeJay.
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

All existing scores on Gyruss have been adjusted and confirmed to reflect the new 5-lives only rule.

Can one of the editors (or web maintainers) please add a Special Rule to Gyruss (parent romset only) stating that this is now a 5-lives only track? Unfortunately there is no way to set the dip switches to only give 5 lives, so players and confirmers will need to count lives if the score is over 150K.

Thanks,
George
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

KIG666 wrote:Here is the score for Griphin, will try to get the others to work later today.

Griphin
Life Score
1st 181,100
2nd 350,150
3rd 410,650
4th 413,150
5th 420,900
KIG666 wrote:I posted Griphin's adjusted score above, here is the one from Aspie.

Aspie
Life Score
1st 61,950
2nd 205.900
3rd 242.000
4th 247,150
5th 247,750
Well that's annoying. I was checking to see if there were any updates on the thread, but for some reason it wasn't showing either of your entries when I put my subsequent ones in about successfully playing back these recordings. Never mind, at least we concurred on the points for 5 lives, although interestingly we were slightly different for some of the earlier life losses?!? :)

Cheers,
BeeJay.
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

A Special Rule has been added for Gyruss indicating score is after 5-lives only. Thanks mahlemiut!
KIG666
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by KIG666 »

BeeJay wrote:Never mind, at least we concurred on the points for 5 lives, although interestingly we were slightly different for some of the earlier life losses?!? :)
Guess mine are a bit different cause I haven't clicked pause right after the death haha

Oh well I did it for the 5th ship and that was good enough for me :lol:

Great now we have at least a 5 man track. Maybe it would be a good idea to write down the settings in the rule box as well. I noticed some people played on easier settings than default cause the first neptune enemies haven't fired.

It should be at least default or level 6 imo to make sure that all is fair.
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

KIG666 wrote:
BeeJay wrote:Great now we have at least a 5 man track. Maybe it would be a good idea to write down the settings in the rule box as well. I noticed some people played on easier settings than default cause the first neptune enemies haven't fired.

Standard MARP rules are already that games require no easier than default settings. There is no need for a special rule stating that. If somebody is using easier than default difficulty the replay should have its score zeroed.

Do you remember which replays seemed to be on easier settings? It is possible that MAMEdev changed the defaults at some point and an older version of MAME had easier defaults. If so that is usually allowed and the older replays are grandfathered in.

-George
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

KIG666 wrote:Great now we have at least a 5 man track. Maybe it would be a good idea to write down the settings in the rule box as well. I noticed some people played on easier settings than default cause the first neptune enemies haven't fired.

I'm starting to get back into this game now that we have a 5 man track available and I have deliberately set my recordings to level 6 to even the playing field.... not that I expect to come close to your WR score anytime soon if ever. :wink:

You could always start another vote regarding having this clone also set to minimum of difficulty level 6 as well as the current 5 lives limit, but that does make it harder for people to compete if they're using the default record.bat files supplied with WolfMame as that deliberately renames the .cfg file as part of the recording process to ensure default settings, and adds another step for confirmers to check that the difficulty dipswitch was correctly adjusted etc.

Cheers,
BeeJay.
KIG666
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by KIG666 »

Zhorik wrote:Standard MARP rules are already that games require no easier than default settings. There is no need for a special rule stating that. If somebody is using easier than default difficulty the replay should have its score zeroed.

Do you remember which replays seemed to be on easier settings? It is possible that MAMEdev changed the defaults at some point and an older version of MAME had easier defaults. If so that is usually allowed and the older replays are grandfathered in.
Yeah that's what I was thinking as well.
Guess thats the problem mame defaults changed quite some times until they got it right. I always wondered why the default settings in mame changed so often for some games.

Haven't checked what the default was on the old recordings I watched I just checked them for the scores and not for the dip settings.

BeeJay wrote: I'm starting to get back into this game now that we have a 5 man track available and I have deliberately set my recordings to level 6 to even the playing field.... not that I expect to come close to your WR score anytime soon if ever. :wink:

You could always start another vote regarding having this clone also set to minimum of difficulty level 6 as well as the current 5 lives limit, but that does make it harder for people to compete if they're using the default record.bat files supplied with WolfMame as that deliberately renames the .cfg file as part of the recording process to ensure default settings, and adds another step for confirmers to check that the difficulty dipswitch was correctly adjusted etc.
I deleted the gyruss cfg file and default is easiest on the older mame versions like wolf 103 for example so guess that explains why it is on easiest on the France vs Italy challenge.

I checked on the newer version for example wolfmame-0143 and after deleting the cfg file konami default is level 5 and centuri 6 like on the original pcb's.

I like how easy you can change back to default by simply pressing enter in the dip switch menu. Just highlight what you want change back and one click on enter.
That's how it should be imo. Easiest isnt right for a game like Gyruss :lol:

Would love to have a 1 ship track on hardest settings but guess that woud not get enough votes to get it implented here.

Great to hear that you plan to play it again, lets hope more ppl will join and give it another try with the new track 8)