Nato Defense

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

CrazyKongFan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Nato Defense

Post by CrazyKongFan »

Was playing around with this game, and noticed the ROM's were swapped around at one point. The original natodef at some point was renamed natodefa (alternate maze) and another set named natodef. Don't know which version it changed though, how do you figure that out? I do know the top score for natodef done in m37b7 is the same version as the top score for natodefa in mame60. It looks like both versions use the same ROM's, but swapping a couple of the ROM's changes the mazes and makes the game more difficult (this was supposedly a built in option)
***PL***
Editor

Re: Nato Defense

Post by ***PL*** »

This is going way, way back! However, it appears as though it is not really confusing. There was never a swap of ROMsets. natodef was added in m37b7 and then two versions later, natodefa was added in m37b9. If you've noticed that an INP was submitted to the incorrect ROMset then it is simple a matter of moving just that INP. The regulation coordinator should verify and approve this move, not a confirmer.
CrazyKongFan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by CrazyKongFan »

If nothing was swapped, why do they have different mazes between mame060b (1st pic) and m37b7 (2nd pic). Both were run using "mame natodef". If I run "mame natodefa" on mame060b, I get the maze from m37b7 natodef. Incidentally, the default top score has the initials "PL"...Did you secretly work on this game? :mrgreen:
Attachments
mame060b natodef screenshot
mame060b natodef screenshot
NATODEF.PNG (2.26 KiB) Viewed 7550 times
m37b7 natodef screenshot
m37b7 natodef screenshot
NATODEF.PNG (2.73 KiB) Viewed 7550 times
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

CrazyKongFan wrote:If nothing was swapped, why do they have different mazes between mame060b (1st pic) and m37b7 (2nd pic). Both were run using "mame natodef". If I run "mame natodefa" on mame060b, I get the maze from m37b7 natodef. Incidentally, the default top score has the initials "PL"...Did you secretly work on this game? :mrgreen:
I wish! It looks pretty cool. Well, MAME WIP shows no ROM changes after m37b9, but this is not always 100% accurate, say more like 98%! :lol:

MARP also shows no changes since natodefa was added in m37b9. If you are certain the mazes were changed (or swapped) at m60, we could move INPs that used m60 or later, but I would think all of these INPs would have be checked individually.

If you want to check all m60+ INPs, I can move them to the other ROMset if you think this would correct the problem.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

No mention of any switching of ROMs...
- 0.37b9: Added clone NATO Defense (alternate mazes). Fixed gfx1 rom loading.

- 0.37b7: Phil Stroffolino added NATO Defense (Pacific Novelty 1982). GFX ROMs may be hooked up wrong (see screenshots from flyers). Do we need to emulate the TMS9927 VTAC ? The video controller registers effect screen size (currently hard-coded on a per-game basis).
If only I could go back through time for the actual diff to see exactly what was changed... I don't think the MAME SVN goes back that far.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
CrazyKongFan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by CrazyKongFan »

I have no idea when they switched, that's why I was asking if there was a way to tell ;) I just noticed it because I'd downloaded a replay from m37b7 and another from mame60. I haven't went thru and downloaded all of them, but I can I guess. Still doesn't help to know when they actually switched though, unless I download every MAME revision between the two.
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

For MARP, it doesn't matter which exact MAME version of when the switch occurred. What is important is the earliest INP (MAME version used) where the mazes are different. Then all later INPs, including that one, need to be moved to the other ROMset.