Outzone romsets renamed

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Outzone romsets renamed

Post by RAX »

Hi, there has been some rename in Outzone romset. According to the MAME reports, these are the versions where name movements occoured:
- 0.149u1: Alex Jackson reorganized Outzone sets and improved descriptions. Fixed dipswitches and inputs (after verification of the M68000 and Z80 code) in outzone and clones. Tagged Out Zone (oldest set) Z80 ROM as BAD_DUMP and the set itself as GAME_IMPERFECT_SOUND after discovering that this clone's M68000 and Z80 ROMs are almost certainly mismatched, causing wrong sound effects. Added 'Test Switch' dipswitch. Changed clone (set 4) to parent 'Out Zone' and 'Out Zone (set 1)' to clone (harder), (set 2) to 'Out Zone (old set)', (set 5) to 'Out Zone (older set)', (set 3, prototype?) to 'Out Zone (oldest set)'. Renamed (outzone) to (outzoneh), (outzonec) to (outzone), (outzoneb) to (outzonec) and (outzoned) to (outzoneb).

- 0.104u5: Tormod Tjaberg added Out Zone (set 1). Changed 'Out Zone (set 1)' to clone 'Out Zone (set 2)' and clones 'Out Zone (set 2, prototype?)' to 'Out Zone (set 3, prototype?)' and 'Out Zone (set 3)' to 'Out Zone (set 4)'. Renamed (outzoneb) to (outzonec), (outzonea) to (outzoneb) and (outzone) to (outzonea).

- 9th December 2005: Corrado Tomaselli dumped Out Zone (set 4). This dump comes from a totally dead board with no original stickers. They aren't very different from the set 1 , so they can be hacked or a little corrupted. I swapped the roms on my working board and they seem to be good but maybe it crashes on later levels. In my opinion set 2 has to be renamed to "protoype" or "early version". There are less music/sfx there isn't an ending sequence. I dumped 4 outzones and they were all set 1.

- 0.97u5: Aaron Giles swapped Out Zone (set 1) with (set 2) - the other set was a newer revision with more secret bonuses, refined sound effects and a real ending instead of a few text lines. Renamed (outzone) to (outzonea) and (outzonea) to (outzone).

- 0.37b13: Changed description to 'Out Zone (set 1)' and clone '(bootleg)' to '(set 2)'. Renamed (outzonep) to (outzonea).

If I correctly understand, there have been three major swaps, which have taken effect in MAME98-MAME105-MAME150
the versions seem to have evolved with this pattern:

Code: Select all

previous -> MAME98   -> MAME105  -> MAME150

outzone  -> outzonea -> outzoneb -> outzonec
outzonea -> outzone  -> outzonea -> outzonea
         -> outzoneb -> outzonec -> outzone
                        outzoned -> outzoneb
                        outzone  -> outzoneh
According to this table many old recordings should be moved to different romsets, for example:
Sawys' 1,244,010 outzone@wolf83 should go to actual outzonec.
Ace13's 3,190,700 outzone@wolf106 should go to actual outzoneh
and so on. Is it correct?
***PL***
Editor

Re: Outzone romsets renamed

Post by ***PL*** »

Ugh! This is a bit of a mess right now. But thank you for pointing it out!

One small issue is that outzoneb was first released in m103, not m98 and is not listed at all, but that shouldn't make much difference.

What you describe may have happened, but I think we would need to also check the dates of the INPs.

For example, if a player submitted a m106 INP after m150 was released it would be in the correct location.

I am looking into this right now and will report back with my findings...
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

Phew! After almost an hour and a half, I think I got this straightened out...

• Most of the INPs from outzone got moved to outzonec because they were recorded prior to m98
• 4 INPs got moved into outzone and currently take the top 4 spots, based on the mame version used (m103 & m105)
• some of the remaining clone INPs got shuffled around between the B, C, and H versions

All should be good now!
RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by RAX »

***PL*** wrote:What you describe may have happened, but I think we would need to also check the dates of the INPs.
For example, if a player submitted a m106 INP after m150 was released it would be in the correct location.
I dont' think so, this is true only for outzonea. If a player plays outzone@wolf106 and submit it now he must submit a game recorded on outzone under outzoneh
Despatche
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Despatche »

Oh, thank God, they finally fixed this game.

Why is MAME so obsessed with "last version first" anyway? The earliest known version should obviously be the parent from which any clones are based.
RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by RAX »

Not exactly: the earlier versions are thee first versions that MAME emulated. The concept of "parent" is intended as best representative and working version. MAME's purpose is to emuale, not to let people play.
But I agree that in our case this generates some problem :(