Paulo Valmir's lemmings 10,285

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Paulo Valmir's lemmings 10,285

Post by kranser »

Paulo Valmir's lemmings recording of 10,285 should only take into account the 100 * 97 points if he completed the game - but he only played first 20 rounds (or so).

Kranser.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Re: Paulo Valmir's lemmings 10,285

Post by Chad »

http://replay.marpirc.net/r/lemmings

Is there a way to calculate score if you don't finish the game? And what is the equation? I think the special rules only show a score if you finish?
-skito
kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by kranser »

I think if you don't finish the game you just get the total number of lemmings as your score.

I don't understand the scoring rule and why it gives priority to speed rather than number of lemmings saved - I would like to see the score as number of lemmings saved * 100, plus the remaining credits added on to that!

Kranser.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

that kinda makes sense, lemingsSaved+creditsLeft, i'm trying to figure out why no score was given for partial games, perhaps maybe there is a way to repeat levels and then make an infinite score with out finishing, i think if you lose a game you don't get the lemings saved for that game, Phil can you look at this special rule and make a suggestion/vote?
-skito
kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by kranser »

Chad wrote:that kinda makes sense, lemingsSaved+creditsLeft, i'm trying to figure out why no score was given for partial games, perhaps maybe there is a way to repeat levels and then make an infinite score with out finishing, i think if you lose a game you don't get the lemings saved for that game, Phil can you look at this special rule and make a suggestion/vote?
If you complete all levels you get zapped back to a previous level to keep playing - but not sure whether the lemmings saved count keeps increasing - but you have to finish first (I think) - so people could choose to keep playing and get more lemmings saved and they would have an advantage over people who just stop playing once they have completed all levels. Don't think it would be a problem to use number of lemmings saved as the main scoring factor though... [maybe special rules to say that if you complete the final level you must score according to the number of lemmings saved at that point and not count the continuous play.

Kranser.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

Not worried about infinite point leeching after completing, just worried about doing it before completing, looks like you can't, so maybe lives+lemmings + completion bonus with limit of one completion and done, should be the special rule score.
-skito
kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by kranser »

Chad wrote:Not worried about infinite point leeching after completing, just worried about doing it before completing, looks like you can't, so maybe lives+lemmings + completion bonus with limit of one completion and done, should be the special rule score.
Sounds good - but do we use lives * 10000 and add the #lemmings, or lemmings * 100 plus the number of lives?
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

I need some time to look at this, so not before sunday.
I would like first to see old recordings, made with old versions, so I need to be at home, which is not the case this week.
Plus I would like to read all old posts on this :
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8815
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8990
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9028
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8930
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Ok I've looked at the whole thing, and my conclusion is that the scoring voted a few years ago is from far the better.
kranser wrote:I don't understand the scoring rule and why it gives priority to speed rather than number of lemmings saved - I would like to see the score as number of lemmings saved * 100, plus the remaining credits added on to that!
Scoring not only gives priority to speed, it also prevents from (sort of) leeching.
Read again the question you've asked 10 years ago (!!) :
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9028
Gameboy's answer explains all.

Plus scoring also prevents from infinite games : game has 67 levels, and if you finish level 67 then it cames back to level 45.
With our scoring, if you finish level 67, then it's better to ESC : if you continue playing to leech more lemmings saved, then you also lose points with -100 pts per credit used.