THE ROOLS...!

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

THE ROOLS...!

Post by kernzy »

since witnessing the deletion of a score of mine, (a meaningless one, i might add! :wink: ), i was compelled to look at "the rules". i looked in the forums for the rules first.! #-o
so, in a spat of cheap leaderboard point grabbing, i have a question. !
RULE 2 j)
j) Recording submissions must be recorded with that particular ROMset's defaults or TG (Twin Galaxies) settings. A recording set at easier or different settings is subject to deletion, especially if it is higher than others at more difficult settings. Recording on TG settings, which are the official arcade game settings, is preferred, and will gain your scores further notice from your fellow players.
does this mean that a game with default settings of 3 lives, if played and submitted scores for a game with 5 lives should be deleted?
i am guilty of this myself!! i have a score for a hunchback clone with 5 lives. every time i play it, i forget to change it!!
because, if this rule is not adhered to, i could bag about 7 1st place records tonight! (i mean this morning!)
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: THE ROOLS...!

Post by BeeJay »

That all depends on whether the TG rules have a higher number of starting lives or not. If there are no TG rules indicating they TG rules are 5 lives at the start, instead of the default 3 lives, then yes those scores should be deleted for using non-default settings as/when someone reports that the rules have been broken. It does require someone to notice that the wrong number of starting lives were used, or similar non-default settings were used, and to mention that in a posting so that the recording can be evaluated etc.

There are cases where special rules exist to allow non-default settings to be used. For example, for Galaga it's acceptable to use two credits so you can play on the player 2 side such that scores > 1 million are easier to determine the final score, so long as you don't actively play the player 1 game of course. :)

Actually, the Galaga special rules should probably also mention that using Difficulty=HARDEST is OK as well, given that that stops Galaga freezing on stage 256... but most people use TG settings for Galaga anyway, which also includes the extra lives at 20/70/70 as well as Difficulty=HARDEST.

Cheers,
BeeJay.
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re: THE ROOLS...!

Post by kernzy »

hi Brian!
cheers for that. tg is down at the mo, so cannot check others i'm not sure about.
never really played galaga. interesting points though. maybe i should give it a try.
so, how about clones of games? do the tg settings apply to those also? as they are obviously not supported by tg.
and what about these entries with the wrong settings that have been verified? if it was important, why was it allowed by the verifier? i know everything cannot be covered all the time, but 1st place records should be dealt with properly, at the very least.
cheers dude.
speak soon.
all the best,
paul. :D