Gyruss - consider 5 man only rule?

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Gyruss - consider 5 man only rule?

Post by BeeJay »

Gyruss is another one of those games that is easily "marathonable" by a number of players.

I think it would be nice if we could have a 5 man only track for this game to make for better competition.

What do others think of this idea?

Cheers,
BeeJay.
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re: Gyruss - consider 5 man only rule?

Post by kernzy »

perfect!
i think all marathonable games should have the 5 lives "tourney" settings.
on tg donkey kong has a one sheet game. i mean to get a record on joust or asteroids, you need to do some sleep deprivation training.!!
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

Since there is only one existing recording on the gyrusb clone, I'll vote to put a special rules on that clone to ONLY allow 5 lives.

http://replay.marpirc.net/r/gyrussb
-skito
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

Chad,

The only problem with that suggestion is that if we also want to submit our 5 lives recordings to TG they have that on the main parent set.

Cheers,
BeeJay.
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

BeeJay wrote:The only problem with that suggestion is that if we also want to submit our 5 lives recordings to TG they have that on the main parent set.
If you want to play 5 man only on the main romset, why not just play that way and note it in your description. That way you could submit to TG too. Keeping first will be a good bit harder, but I don't think you really care that much about the leaderboard points, and the scores/replays speak for themselves if you put it in the description. Switching the parent romset to exlusively 5 man only at this point really wouldn't be fair to the other players that already submitted on the track. And BeeJay, I've got a good feeling you're capable of 2M+ on 5-man only anyway.

-George
KIG666
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by KIG666 »

BeeJay wrote:Gyruss is another one of those games that is easily "marathonable" by a number of players.

I think it would be nice if we could have a 5 man only track for this game to make for better competition.

What do others think of this idea?

Cheers,
BeeJay.
I agree would be great to have a 5 men only rule for the konami version :D

Would be interesting to see what all the ppl that submitted scores in the past can do with only 5 ships.

The existing scores should be not a problem if the 5 men variation gets a own section. Quite some of the existing Gyruss scores are played on easiest the france vs italy scores for example. To sort the stuff a bit and add a new section for tournament settings would be really nice and would maybe even inspire some ppl to play Gyruss again.

I know we could just write tne info about the settings it in the description box but it would be not the same as having a own section for it :wink:
Marco Marocco
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by Marco Marocco »

I agree for a different ranking with 5 lives only
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

Zhorik wrote:And BeeJay, I've got a good feeling you're capable of 2M+ on 5-man only anyway.
Well, I played my first game today since I get back into playing Mame after an 18 month "earthquake induced" break. I managed to get through to Earth once on a single life, but then promptly lost two in quick succession on the 1st of the 3 warps to Neptune on the 2nd loop. I've obviously forgotten the pattern for that stage, as you can't play the 1st of the 3 warps to Neptune like you normally do due to the big increase in difficulty on that 1st warp after Earth!!

Still, it's a good start considering how rusty I am on any of the Mame games. My target is still to try and break the 2.5 million mark eventually. If I do, I'll be deleting my current 1st place score to upload the new one. :)

Cheers,
BeeJay.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

Hmmm...... I may have to start recording my games sooner than I expected. Day 3 since I started back into Gyruss, and tonight I did a 1.3 million score on a game that I wasn't recording..... interestingly it was a game where I was going to give up early on as I lost 2 ships before the first time through to Earth. Just goes to show you should always play your games to completion.. ;)

Cheers,
BeeJay.
KIG666
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by KIG666 »

Exactly the same thing happened to me a few times now. Games that looked horrible at the beginning, three ships lost before I reached the first M but then scored over 2,4 M with the last two ships.
Only problem is you never know if you just waste your time or if it's really worth to keep on playing a game that doesn't look promising right from the start. If you are close to beat your old best with such a game you will always ask yourself afterwards what would have been if I would have re-startet the game right after it looked bad :lol:

For me time is the keyword right now, if you are close to 3M or even higher you can't play much games on one day so to keep on playing a game that doesn't look promising could just be a waste of time.

Great to hear that you are improving, soon you should be able to beat your old score with ease, then I will finally have a real competition with you even if we still don't have a own section for the 5 man settings here :(
Cicca
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Cicca »

What about creating a new istance for this game (and eventually for the other Gyruss sets) named gyrussb-5lo (stands for '5 lives only') ?
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

I second the motion! But that opens up a big can of worms worth opening I think.
-skito
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

I do not want to create a new split based on # of starting men!!

The right thing to do is to create "special rules" limiting posted score to 5 men only for the parent gyruss.

Existing INPs would remain "grandfathered" and all scores would become "unverified". At this point, INPs can be challenged and verified after determining score at the 5th death.

I believe this was the process we did back when Q*bert scores got changed over to 5 men only.
KIG666
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by KIG666 »

Chad wrote:I second the motion! But that opens up a big can of worms worth opening I think.
I fully agree, I would really like to see my Gyruss 5 ship WR in a seperate section and not mixed up with all the marathon score like it is right now.
Of course people can check the description box but still a own section for some games that had/have TGTS tracks would be really nice to have here on marp :)
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

I disagree that person's score should have not been changed ... There was no rules stating only 5 ships per game... Sure TG has scores for 5 ships but i bet they have complete game scores allso.

Sure it's cool to see how many points someone can get with Limited guys.. But what is really cool is seeing how long someone can play this and what kind of score they end up with.

Games are being wrecked by only limiting them to so many guys.
If you have a FB Account I'm Brian Allen
On KLOV and other sites I'm Simpsons99
Arcade Game Scores
DKJR 1,073,800 Level F Kill screen !
DK3 TG MED Skill Level 1,365,000 Level 80?