Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

mspacman new n°1 marp score

Post by sawys »

Hi :-)

Maybe i'm wrong but it seems that this game 954.760 should be disqualified according to the actual rules :
http://marp.retrogames.com/r/mspacman
http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/e/9/8/in ... mame90.zip

Because new n°1 submitted score must use a secured version.
Since April 15, 2007, use of WolfMAME is required if you take first place in any game.
My feeling is that the game is a very good replay to see but, i watched the board by board recap http://users.igl.net/samax/MsPac/954krecap.html
And i saw this little comment :
Duration : 4h35m (including a few breaks)
So what should we understand ? Does PacWhiz used the pause feature of mame90 ?

I have nothing against you pacwhiz but it's just to be fair with everyone and with the new rules.

Cheers.
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Re: mspacman new n°1 marp score

Post by Chad »

I haven't watched this recording but you can take breaks with out using the pause feature, i've seen this happen quite often, you get the ghosts in a certain posititon and you can walk away from the machine. But I agree if it's a new recording it can't take first place based on the rules.
-skito
ejm973
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by ejm973 »

Hi, I've watched this INP in its entirety and the 'breaks' PacWhiz is referring to are NOT using any kind of pause feature, but rather utilizing a hiding spot on the maze. Play action never stopped. If you "F10" thru the INP, you'll see where these occur, as Ms. Pac is stationary, while the ghosts continue to circle around the maze.

Hope this helps.
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

yes but again rules are rules....wolfmame required for first place scores....start allowing exceptions to that just based on the gamer and you soon have several issues with others asking for the same treatment.

We all know the score is legit and Aart can easily reproduce it...but that isn't the point above.
ejm973
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by ejm973 »

I was responding to the question about pauses and I'm not asking anyone to bend any rules for anybody. Sorry you read it that way.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Did nobody notice the comment that linked to his 955,860 score on Twin Galaxies? I don't remember if he submitted it to MARP, but the TG inp was done with wolf106, so.... is it really much of a problem if someone submits a score that's 1100 points lower than their best with wolf106?

Maybe it would be better if the 955,860 score was reinstated and the 954,760 is linked off the description, but how much harm is it doing in this manner?
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

BBH wrote:Did nobody notice the comment that linked to his 955,860 score on Twin Galaxies? I don't remember if he submitted it to MARP
http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/inx_mspa ... olf106.zip
John Cunningham (JTC)
PacWhiz
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by PacWhiz »

"Since April 15, 2007, use of WolfMAME is required if you take first place in any game."

Yikes, didn't know that sry! I just checked that post to verify and it's under rule 3b or something. #-o

It's not exactly a 'new recording', been up there for 3½ months!
I did have the WolfMame version (955k) on MARP initially.
Either way is fine by me and i'll happily put the other version back up if you like...
Thought it would be nice to have two separate 950+ games available to people,
one at TwinGalaxies and one over here; but i think LN2 is correct about the consequences of allowing exceptions, and i wouldn't want that kind of preferential treatment anyway! :|
And good call sawys.

About the 'pause' issue:
I never use it because i just park MsPac in safespots; but i just now found out that in Mame-090, you CAN actually press P and pause the game while it's recording, without it showing up in the playback!!!!! In WolfMame this isn't possible, and rightly so!
I guess that's a good enough reason in itself for version-090 not to be valid for #1 spots...
Thx anyway Eric and BBH, but no worries.

I will put the WolfMame version back up after this post.
Anybody who wanted to see the v090 game will have probably seen it by now anyway :roll:
And if not it'll be available from this message post (see attachment). :mrgreen:

~Aart
Attachments
PacWhiz_mspac_20feb08-954k.rar
MsPac 954k Mame-090
(332.51 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

Thanks Pacwhiz! very interesting 135 board, does that happen often?
-skito
PacWhiz
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by PacWhiz »

Chad wrote:Thanks Pacwhiz! very interesting 135 board, does that happen often?
About 1 in 20 killscreen-boards maybe, something like that.
Lots of crazy stuff happens after 133...
I've even had blue-time killscreen boards both in WolfMame
mspac-08feb08.rar
WolfMame ks-134
(297.88 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
and on the real-life arcade version
FunSpot ks-134
FunSpot ks-134
285-ks.jpg (90.41 KiB) Viewed 7550 times
But like i said i hardly ever play MsPac on Wolfmame anymore
~PacWhiz
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

PacWhiz wrote:But like i said i hardly ever play MsPac on Wolfmame anymore
~PacWhiz
Aart, have you tried the WolfMAME version of MAME .90?

http://wolfmame.marpirc.net/wolfmameplus-090.zip

My guess would be it doesn't have the tunnel anamoly since it's based on MAME .90 and it's a Wolf version so would be fine for submissions to MARP.

Cheers,
George
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

sawys wrote:Hi :-)

Maybe i'm wrong but it seems that this game 954.760 should be disqualified according to the actual rules :
Since April 15, 2007, use of WolfMAME is required if you take first place in any game.
I have nothing against you pacwhiz but it's just to be fair with everyone and with the new rules.

Cheers.
Well, I'm not trying to stir up trouble (in fact I voted against this rule), but there are a number of non-Wolf submissions for first that have been made since the new rule was added that haven't been zeroed. A cursory look turned up the following:

6/19/2008 - cclimbrj - Udirnel - omame119 - Recorded with Mame Plus! 0.119u3
5/1/2008 - rohga2 - SPELUNKER - o37b16 - DDEmeMAME ASM 0.37b19.81 Type-62.
5/1/2008 - rohga1 - SPELUNKER - o37b16 - DDEmeMAME ASM 0.37b19.81 Type-50.
4/28/2008 - stonebal - JoseLuis - tgmame66 - inp record with Alphamame32 0.66
1/26/2008 - passht4b - Phil Lamat - mame36 - Very old version used because of bad graphics displayed in later versions
1/6/2008 - rohga - SPELUNKER - o37b16 - recording: DDEmeMAME ASM 0.37b19.81 Type-63.
11/1/2007 - galaga3 - Gaplus - mame120 - [claimed wolf120, it's not -br]
10/12/2007 - sfa3 - gipson - win64 - [advertised 5 but mame64 doesn't appear to playback this recording.]
9/14/2007 - shinoblb - ben.shinobi - win89 - mame32 plus! 0.89u1 [ good show, but you will need to record with a wolfmame version to maintain first place. -skito ]
9/14/2007 - shinobi1 - ben.shinobi - win89 - mame32 plus! 0.89u1
9/3/2007 - samsho - njh - win61

In addition Gaplus resubmitted a couple of old non-Wolf MARP recordings after the rule that were made before the rule, and that were originally up on MARP before the rule, but that he'd deleted for a while (hyperpac, bjtwin) My opinion would be those should be allowed to stand.

I also don't know that an official position has been taken on "unofficial" WolfMAME builds like Alessando's home built "Wolf-SDLMame" and WolfMAMESCORE used by GNU. Since those recordings seem to look and playback like normal WolfMAME replays, I think they should be allowed.

-George
Last edited by Zhorik on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by sawys »

Thank you PacWhiz ;-)

I hope that you would have answer like this and i think that you're an amazing player of pacman.
=D>

About the wolfmamescore submissions (which i always don't use for the moment to be sure that my submissions will be confirmed and not deleted) i can guarantee that we tried maybe all the possibilities to avoid new pause feature like the appearance of the menu in the new mameui32 when you play a game...

And in the last release (0.125c), Louthrax, the programmer, integrated the reading of marp.dat and several useful things like right click on a game and you're linked to the marp site or mamescore site, record in sequential inp ;-)

Cheers.
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
PacWhiz
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by PacWhiz »

Zhorik wrote:
PacWhiz wrote:But like i said i hardly ever play MsPac on Wolfmame anymore
~PacWhiz
Aart, have you tried the WolfMAME version of MAME .90?

http://wolfmame.marpirc.net/wolfmameplus-090.zip

My guess would be it doesn't have the tunnel anamoly since it's based on MAME .90 and it's a Wolf version so would be fine for submissions to MARP.

Cheers,
George
I'll have a look at that and test it out, thx vm George! ^.^
PacWhiz
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by PacWhiz »

sawys wrote:Thank you PacWhiz ;-)

I hope that you would have answer like this and i think that you're an amazing player of pacman.
=D>

About the wolfmamescore submissions (which i always don't use for the moment to be sure that my submissions will be confirmed and not deleted) i can guarantee that we tried maybe all the possibilities to avoid new pause feature like the appearance of the menu in the new mameui32 when you play a game...

And in the last release (0.125c), Louthrax, the programmer, integrated the reading of marp.dat and several useful things like right click on a game and you're linked to the marp site or mamescore site, record in sequential inp ;-)

Cheers.
Thx for all the continued hard work on (Wolf)MAME ;)