tigerh, knights, ... - watchpoint cheat

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

tigerh, knights, ... - watchpoint cheat

Post by destructor »

Cheats using in game menu CHEATS is not only enabling infinite lives, energy or time.
In Knights of the Round we can set watchpoint for look value when we can get special item.
In Tiger Heli we can set watchpoint for look value when little car appear - 10000 bonus for little car.

If is possible to check MAME cheats are enabled or disabled in wolfmame (or other MAMEs) recordings then we should add rule that cheats during record game must be disabled.

What you think about it?
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

wolfmame won't allow recording with cheats enabled.....last I knew.

if it does, then I think it shows that cheats were on on playback using CLI version.

or older versions that had a wlf file too....wlfview would show if cheats are on.

so it really comes down to verification to include this check.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

mahlemiut, no way for check inp file for cheat status?
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Not really. Versions prior to 0.107 do store that, but due to a bug in MAME Plus or MAME32, cheats were usually enabled by default if recorded via the GUI. Which covers about 95% of inps.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
welby1
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by welby1 »

I haven't had any experiences where cheats were enabled by default in any gui/mame32 versions except 1. That 1 was sent to me to try by a friend...he just zipped his and sent it, so he must've turned them on on his prior to sending to me. All of the wolfmames have cheats off during recording, wasn't that the purpose, or do they just record in the .wlf/inp that cheats are on(as well as other settings)?

I thought there was already a rule against having cheats enabled for any recording for leaderboard. If not, it's a no brainer to add this as a rule.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

I'm about 80% sure that most cheats when applied make the recording inp invalid. So the recorded cheated inp would not playback, provided the playbacker didn't turn on cheats while playing back, and most confirmers dont.
-skito
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Chad wrote:I'm about 80% sure that most cheats when applied make the recording inp invalid. So the recorded cheated inp would not playback, provided the playbacker didn't turn on cheats while playing back, and most confirmers dont.
I say about set watchpoints for display some memory address on screen. For Tigher Heli it's shot counter.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

oh yeah, that wouldn't make a difference playback wise. fairly unfair advantage against non cheaters who must count in their head.
-skito
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Chad wrote: fairly unfair advantage against non cheaters who must count in their head.
Yes.