Post by kranser »

Needs: 20pacgal-pac [pacman]
and 20pacgal-gal [Galaga]

Kranser.
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

Uh.... Why??? I don't see this game should be any difference than the original version. Galaga doesn't have sound, yet and there are missing starfield background. Dipswitch hasn't even added, yet.

Although, there is a original pacman code in there and it does works. That makes 3 splits.

IMO, I think that this game may be archive unless somebody wants to change the default settings to harder version. The only thing I know that Galaga's 255th stage freeze bug is fixed and it can be done without using hardest difficulty that was in arcade version and I'm not sure about Mame, yet.

I'm not quite sure if TG does recognize this version as TG settings or not.

NotMan

P.S. I wonder why the continue mode is on. :/
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

title Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga - 20 Year Reunion
set name 20pacgal

Is the one where you can also play pacman if you perform a sequence of joy moves: "To play do the following: Insert coins, then tap on the keyboard, UP-UP-UP, Down-Down-Down, Left-Right-Left-Right-Left, and then you can hear the initial sound. Hit the Start button."

Ms Pac/pacman can be set at fast. I guess it comes to what is default.

But definitely Ms Pac and Galaga differ from original ones. Ms Pac has different blue times, Galaga is harder than original, atleast with settings I played it here.
kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by kranser »

The TJT wrote:title Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga - 20 Year Reunion
set name 20pacgal

Is the one where you can also play pacman if you perform a sequence of joy moves: "To play do the following: Insert coins, then tap on the keyboard, UP-UP-UP, Down-Down-Down, Left-Right-Left-Right-Left, and then you can hear the initial sound. Hit the Start button."
I guess we need a 3rd split - 20pacgal-opac then(for Original Pacman)?
The TJT wrote: Ms Pac/pacman can be set at fast. I guess it comes to what is default.
If it's a dip switch/setting then it will probably be best not to split on speed - what do people think?

The TJT wrote: But definitely Ms Pac and Galaga differ from original ones. Ms Pac has different blue times, Galaga is harder than original, atleast with settings I played it here.
As Galaga is different from the original, I guess the original pacman key sequence doesn't play the original Galaga? I tried, but didn't see any difference in Galaga, so I guess it doesn't contain the original version!

Kranser.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

kranser wrote:
I guess we need a 3rd split - 20pacgal-opac then(for Original Pacman)?
Yes.
If it's a dip switch/setting then it will probably be best not to split on speed - what do people think?
Here it was set at fast. Maybe it's the default.
As Galaga is different from the original, I guess the original pacman key sequence doesn't play the original Galaga? I tried, but didn't see any difference in Galaga, so I guess it doesn't contain the original version!
I don't quite follow. Must be this frickin flu. :?
Ummm...I guess we are talking about same game. Galaga does look exactly like original, it's just a bit harder...bees fire more, I think.
Pacman is like third game there, nothing to do with Galaga one.
I don't have da Romz to test...
kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by kranser »

The TJT wrote:I don't quite follow. Must be this frickin flu. :?
Ummm...I guess we are talking about same game. Galaga does look exactly like original, it's just a bit harder...bees fire more, I think.
Pacman is like third game there, nothing to do with Galaga one.
I don't have da Romz to test...
I was thinking that as there's an original pacman game included, there might be an original version for Galaga as well, but it doesn't seem to be the case (maybe as the revised game doesn't differ too much from the original anyway).

Kranser.
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

split as follows...

20pacgal-msp "Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga - 20 Year Reunion [Ms. Pac-Man]"
20pacgal-gal "Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga - 20 Year Reunion [Galaga]"

1) games cannot be split based on startup sequences / powerups (e.g. Bubble Bobble)

2) games cannot be split based on dip switches (e.g. mspacman-fast)

You will find that such games have already been archived!!
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Note that there are no DIP switches, settings are stored in NVRAM. We'll use whatever setting is the default.

As for Pacman, isn't there some extra mode in one of the Pang games that is activated by some input sequence that we have a split for?
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

***PL*** wrote:2) games cannot be split based on dip switches (e.g. mspacman-fast)

You will find that such games have already been archived!!
hmmm, yet we have mschamp splits for the 2 games which you select via a dip switch. it's a valid split though.

would need to look but think there are a couple other rom sets which have this type of dip switch for game version thing.
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

There may exist one or two exceptions, particularly if the romsets in question are really old. As far as Ms. Pacman, ultimately it made no sense to split and track all the mspac clones simply because of the speed cheat switch setting. MAME released Ms. Pacman with the speedup hack (mspacmnf) 1-2 years after the original release. Sometime later the editors agreed to archive all the "-fast" splits that already had been created.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

I wouldn't mind splitting for -fast versions too. Although at the moment fast versions don't work because you can not access dip switches.

Tried all three games. Ms. Pac and Pacman are at normal speed. Galaga doesn't have sound and starfield is missing. Apart these minor bugs, all 3 games are fully playable.
Insert 2 coins, start mspac with 1, Galaga with 3, Pacman keysequence and 1.

Pat, It's not correct to say enabling pacman is a powerup or startup sequnce, heck it's entirely different game.
There should be an entry for Pacman since you can play that at arcade too. There are no similar cases where you can find an "easter-egg-game" by "secret" key sequence.
By "secret" I'm referring to Namco's own page where they tell that Pacman is included and the sequence:
http://namcoarcade.com/nai_gamedisplay. ... #gameshot4

Special rules should tell how to enable pacman, after it's split.

These three games have minor differences to early 80's originals. Who knows if you could even pass split screen at pacs?
kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by kranser »

The TJT wrote:Pat, It's not correct to say enabling pacman is a powerup or startup sequnce, heck it's entirely different game.
There should be an entry for Pacman since you can play that at arcade too. There are no similar cases where you can find an "easter-egg-game" by "secret" key sequence.
By "secret" I'm referring to Namco's own page where they tell that Pacman is included and the sequence:
http://namcoarcade.com/nai_gamedisplay. ... #gameshot4

Special rules should tell how to enable pacman, after it's split.

These three games have minor differences to early 80's originals. Who knows if you could even pass split screen at pacs?
I agree with The TJT - pacman should be a split option for 20pacgal, as the key sequence required to start this game doesn't relate to a power-up or to any other aspect of the Mspacman and Galaga games, the new game (pacman) is not a variation of any of the other two; but a totally separate game.

I'd love to know what happens when you reach level 255 in this version of pacman!

Kranser.
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

OK, added:

20pacgal-pac "Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga - 20 Year Reunion [Pac-Man]"

along with special rules...

In order to play Pac-man, at the select screen input up, up, up, down, down, down, left, right, left, right, left, start.
_Zaphod_
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by _Zaphod_ »

The galaga emualtion is flawed in the 20th aniversary arcade itself. for fun, move the joystick and fire during the demonstration. watch the chaos. this does NOT work on the real arcade galaga. I distinctly remember trying it after discovering the bug in MAME.

That said it sems very close to me, same as MAME.

However, as the only siginicant difference in galaga is the continue ability there is little point to playing it when a proper emulation of galaga is already available in mame.

PS:MAME also seems to contain the bug allowing control of the demo character.
kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by kranser »

kranser wrote:
The TJT wrote:These three games have minor differences to early 80's originals. Who knows if you could even pass split screen at pacs?
I'd love to know what happens when you reach level 255 in this version of pacman!

Kranser.
I can confirm that the 20pacgal Pacman game still has the split screen at level 255 and that split screen level still doesn't seem to be playable/passable.

Kranser.