Archive these games -topic

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

***PL***
Editor

Re: Archive these games -topic

Post by ***PL*** »

PP. wrote:When are you going to take care of the card games? Some players have dozens of them, and still upload inps.
@PP. What is heck is wrong with you? Reread my post. I put CARDS in BOLD! :roll:
PP.
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by PP. »

Take a look at phl's and gc's scorepages, they still keep their card games.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

***PL*** wrote:Today, I have spent all day archiving and deleting many games. This brings the total to over 10000 games this year alone!
It really makes me shake my head that you spent a lot of your free time making the site better and yet you immediately get demanded for things by an ungrateful person who's not going to thank you for anything. So.... thanks, Pat!
Because they are not ARCADE, I am also considering removing, but have not yet...
• Pinball (emulated and electromagnetic)
Does that include video pinball games like Pinball Action and Time Scanner? Those should stay. All the electromagnetic stuff, games that have rom entries but need a physical ball moving around the table and can thus never be emulated but only simulated, should go.
• Quiz (trivia games)
Unsure about this, but a lot of quiz games tend to have seeds that make questions repeat and can be manipulated to some extent. I'm also not sure they make for very interesting recordings, so I wouldn't be sad about losing these.
• Tabletop (board games)
I guess I haven't been keeping up, what kind of tabletop board games are in MAME now...?
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

There's an Electronic Battleship driver (1977 and 1982 versions), among others.
http://www.progettoemma.net/gioco.php?game=bship

I guess the various chess machines come under this too.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

• Quiz (trivia games)
Unsure about this, but a lot of quiz games tend to have seeds that make questions repeat and can be manipulated to some extent. I'm also not sure they make for very interesting recordings, so I wouldn't be sad about losing these.
I'm inclined to agree, the fact that it requires deep knowledge of whatever language they are from doesn't make any favor to them (read: not a sane competition).
• Tabletop (board games)
I guess I haven't been keeping up, what kind of tabletop board games are in MAME now...?
http://www.progettoemma.net/index.php?l ... utti&lett=
Most of them are mahjong, then shougi/go/hanafuda/othello and 1 or 2 miscellanea (backgammon/chess).
For mahjong I'm actually favorable for [BET] type jong removal, they are medal games -> gambling and not very exciting to either play or watch.
PP.
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by PP. »

I hope this time only luck game will be deleted, remember those skill games which were deleted apparently just because I was involved with them?
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

I will look at groups of games as defined by Progetto. This way anyone can see what I see. I am not going to discriminate against specific players, as that is not fair.

I would like to KEEP ALL ARCADE, except remove:

Pinball - REMOVE ALL Electromechanical, Pachinko, Simulated & Skeletal // KEEP original video, properly emulated, historical MAME
Medal Games - REMOVE ALL
Multiplay - REMOVE Gambling Games from Compilation // KEEP Mini-games
Quiz - REMOVE ALL --OR -- REMOVE ALL Foreign (non-English) // KEEP English, but REMOVE non-random
Tabletop - REMOVE ALL --OR -- REMOVE Backgammon, Chess, Go, Othello // KEEP Mahjong // UNSURE Hanafuda, Renju, Shougi

This will need to be researched further, and any constructive input will be most appreciated!! Thank you!!
PP.
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by PP. »

Did you finish with deletions?

I see that you deleted some quizzes (so many years it was ok, after I uploaded mines then they had to be deleted :lol:), but card games remain in some players's scorepages.

Why did you delete those three "Exciting Animal Land Jr."? They are pure skill games and TK tried for hours to make that score.
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

I've been working all holiday weekend on this. Did I say I was finished with the deletions? Just so you know, I have done 30000+ so far.

All Quiz games have been archived. Video Pinball was not removed. Mechanical Pinball was deleted.

The card games that you complain about are part of Multiplay, which is the last thing I have left to do.

Why do you care so much about TK2012? Are you the same person? Maybe you're "el wil" too.
PP.
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by PP. »

***PL*** wrote:IDid I say I was finished with the deletions? Just so you know, I have done 30000+ so far.

The card games that you complain about are part of Multiplay, which is the last thing I have left to do.

Why do you care so much about TK2012? Are you the same person? Maybe you're "el wil" too.
Ok, when are you goind to delete the card games from phl and gc?
I' m not complaining, I ask, because I care for the fair competition. You use to delete PP and TK's scores, even the skill ones.

As I stated, I' m friend with TK, and now we use the same pc.
So, why you deleted those 3 "Exciting Animal Land Jr", also those 3 snookers??

They said that probably I' m also Saulon, TK, PAC, now el wil :lol:
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

***PL*** wrote: The card games that you complain about are part of Multiplay, which is the last thing I have left to do.
Main of these games are strategy + speed, nothing to do with luck
***PL*** wrote: Tabletop - REMOVE ALL --OR -- REMOVE Backgammon, Chess, Go, Othello
???????????
These are pure strategy, 0 % luck.
Chess is known as "king of all games"

I'm very uncomfortable with what this archiving fever is bringing now
PP.
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by PP. »

And don't forget he has archived games like fourplay, pacman, tetris.
Phil Lamat wrote: I'm very uncomfortable with what this archiving fever is bringing now
Of course now... because I' m the target.

Phil Lamat wrote:
***PL*** wrote: The card games that you complain about are part of Multiplay, which is the last thing I have left to do.
Main of these games are strategy + speed, nothing to do with luck
Card games are mainly luck, as you know.
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

98% of the removals thus far have NO scores. They are completely unplayable as they are. Most are electromechanical pinballs.

As far as tabletop (board) games, Mahjong is safe for now. Chess and Backgammon aren't exactly fun to watch.

After all, this site is called MAME ACTION REPLAY
PP.
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by PP. »

***PL*** wrote: As far as tabletop (board) games, Mahjong is safe for now.
Yes, this is what Phil wants.
***PL*** wrote: After all, this site is called MAME ACTION REPLAY
In fact, this site should be called MAME UNFAIR ACTION REPLAY
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze »

PP. wrote: Card games are mainly luck, as you know.
Well that's an ignorant comment if ever I saw one.

Many of the card games are, as pointed out, based on skill / strategy / speed.

The gambling ones are based on whatever percentage payout the machine is set to (so not really skill or luck, just how much money the machine has been told to take)

Obviously competition makes no sense on gambling titles, they rely entirely on people putting in a steady flow of money throughout the day in order to balance their payout logic, inserting a few coins in a fresh machine state for a MARP reply does not represent that at all.

However, many card games that aren't payout / gambling ones have skill elements to them, the same applies to some of the Mahjong games, they were designed so that you could win if you played well, they're part of the 'puzzle' genre.