Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: Archive these games -topic

Post by BeeJay »

http://replay.marpirc.net/r/pitbosss-jpk

Looks like this game possibly needs to be archived given the 2 x clones of the game are already archived.
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

Looks like somebody (PL?) archivied the TourVision sets at some point.

I honestly don't mind but can I know the exact reason behind that?
I suppose not being actual MAME romsets but software lists as per now?
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze »

I'd say also simply not being real arcade games.

The roms are 1:1 the console versions, it's got an unlicensed timer system + forced inputs to start the game slapped on it (which isn't even properly emulated) Unlike the various NES 'super game' multigame bootlegs and the like these haven't even been modified, you are running the console game code and nothing more.

There are arcades with consoles + unofficial timers for every major console of the last 30 years, although a lot of them aren't emulated yet. There's an adapter + modded bios for the Nintendo Super System that lets you plug any SNES cartridge in (although it was never hooked up) and I don't think MARP would open up every SNES game for entry just because they're running on an arcade modified PCB. Maybe I should try digging out those roms actually, didn't get added at the time because it was too political. Tourvision isn't actually that different, it's a standard cart, with an adapter (which contains an ID read by the bios, to force a series of inputs) inside an additional shell. The early ones were just standard cart + adapter separate, no additional shell.

If MARP allows competition on those, it may as well open up to competition on every single home platform game, as you're not really playing an arcade game at all.
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

Kale wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:45 pm Looks like somebody (PL?) archivied the TourVision sets at some point.

I honestly don't mind but can I know the exact reason behind that?
I suppose not being actual MAME romsets but software lists as per now?
Yes, I archived them solely because they are not included in any recent MAME releases.

IOW, when a game gets dropped by MAMEDev, I typically also archive all INPs associated with those games.

Over the years, we've had games come and go then later come back, so there remains the possibility they'll return...
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

http://replay.marpirc.net/r/carrera

Needs archiving, not random (and actually a stealth gambling game too)
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

Kale wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:25 pm Needs archiving, not random (and actually a stealth gambling game too)
Done.
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

We left an electromechanical in the list of games that needs archiving. (iirc these need to.)
Piggy Pass (version 04.40) [piggypas]
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

giro-X wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:40 pm We left an electromechanical in the list of games that needs archiving. (iirc these need to.)
Piggy Pass (version 04.40) [piggypas]
Done. Cheers!
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

http://replay.marpirc.net/r/hwchampjd

This specific set needs to be starred, it's non-functional as of 0.218 (crashes on round 1) and there are chances that the real thing does it too cfr. https://mametesters.org/view.php?id=7575
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

Kale wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:00 pm http://replay.marpirc.net/r/hwchampjd

This specific set needs to be starred, it's non-functional as of 0.218 (crashes on round 1) and there are chances that the real thing does it too cfr. https://mametesters.org/view.php?id=7575
Archived for now. Cheers!
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

Forgot to mention: normally the game upsides down with the score updated.
Sometimes that score isn't even displayed, you get a black screen when TKO the opponent.
There also a possibility that the score gets corrupted in stack and gives stupid high puntos.
It's not something MARP should care about in my humble opinion.
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

As TER pointed out recently,
pairsred Pairs Redemption (V1.0, 10/25/94)
is worthy of being archived. Not only it's a single staged, 12 tiles memory but it also has limited tries, with the moral that you win more tickets if you guess immediately.

FYI in the previous weeks I've discussed privately with Pat about ~200 titles to be considered for archiving.
Note for Pat, this romset isn't in that list.
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

Archived...

pairsred
trvmadns
trvmadnsa
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

I'd like to remember to our dear TK2012 who is always around reading us, checking every little breath of us every day, that you forgot a "breath" of the past where in this topic we agreed to archive all Quiz games, with rarest exception due to level of objective interest / variety / difficulty of the game. (in other words: a lame trivia quiz is not qad).
So that you know, Kale has done nothing but pointing out what had to be done anyway, sooner or later. Many titles slipped out of control which is understandable since the great amount of data we're dealing with; I have tried to report as many of them as possible in a ~200-games-long list of unarchived games that should be at least checked for archiving. And even then, I'm sure that's not all of them.
And before you ask, NO, this action is not done to punish or affect you. If the list is approved, you won't be the only person affected. It's a principle, we're slowly tidying up bit by bit.

So yeah, you can save as many quiz game titles as cartridges to use to send messages to the board as you want, but don't hope they will help you concretely in your raising to the top.