Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

horsie
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Thundercade leeching

Post by horsie »

WRX2 Thundercade recordings:
http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... ,tndrcadj)

Should Thundercade end boss leeching be allowed?

-------------
TJT: Poll removed. Always discussion before poll. This matter open for discussion now
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Wow, you certainly didn't waste any time violating the policy that I set forth as Regulation Coordinator, did you?

You start a poll with no prior discussion? If you had done this three days ago I would have deleted it immediately.

Tommi is Regulation Coordinator now. I think he is planning to have similar policy (see the Announcement at the top of this forum), but that is for him to decide.

Good timing...
John Cunningham (JTC)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Allrighty then, This is a neat "sweet spot" trick.

The case:

-WRX2 tndrcade inp shows this leeching technique at the last boss.
-He would have about 1,4M(good for 2nd place) or so without leeching, with leeching he does about 4M.
-He did finish the game after tiresome leeching session, leeching ended because of simple mistake(he went so up that helicopter shot him).
- If you loose a man once, you loose your weapons and leeching is no longer possible.
-It's easy to see when this trick is used...if you leave one commando hanging there...then you're using trick.
-there is no timer

I tried trick myself, after few tries I felt it doesn't require much skill to do it. I saved state from WRX2's inp at 4M, and continued the game...leeched for 1,7M points more and fouled.
I think competition in this game will be more interesting without this trick, then you'll have to maximize your points during the game, not only during last boss.

Does anybody think this trick/leech is acceptable?
(if not, there is no need for voting, but zeroing and special rules will be enough)
Would be nice to hear from "WRX2" or "GSH"....

Thanks,
TJT -regulation coordinator
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

this acceptable question comes up a lot. I don't think any leeching that can be done infinitively is accpetable. But we must archive these inps in the tips and tricks page, kind of why i didn't zero the contra recording, but am itching too.

http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... xlines=999
http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/4/4/c/be ... wolf88.zip
-skito
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Chad wrote:this acceptable question comes up a lot. I don't think any leeching that can be done infinitively is accpetable. But we must archive these inps in the tips and tricks page, kind of why i didn't zero the contra recording, but am itching too.
I opened new thread about Contra, may or may not it be necessary...

After these kind of recordings get dumped through discussion, or through voting(in difficult cases)...It would be nice to put them at tricks page.
I was thinking like this: When it's decided that a recording must go, then I'll email/pm an editor to zero it(if I can't edit myself), save the inp and send it to Barry who puts it at tricks page...If this is ok with Barry and doesn't cause too much work?
Once a tactic/trick has been banned for a game...an editor can zero new recording which is using same tactic as banned one, without controversy.
horsie
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by horsie »

Weehawk wrote:Wow, you certainly didn't waste any time violating the policy that I set forth as Regulation Coordinator, did you?

You start a poll with no prior discussion? If you had done this three days ago I would have deleted it immediately.

Tommi is Regulation Coordinator now. I think he is planning to have similar policy (see the Announcement at the top of this forum), but that is for him to decide.

Good timing...
We can't all read every post. So, this sort of thing is bound to happen.

-GSH
horsie
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by horsie »

The TJT wrote:......

Does anybody think this trick/leech is acceptable?
(if not, there is no need for voting, but zeroing and special rules will be enough)
Would be nice to hear from "WRX2" or "GSH"....

Thanks,
TJT -regulation coordinator
I think the case against the technique is fairly clear-cut.

But, to put it this way: A record should be one where you say, "If only I had not done this or that, then I could have scored another 10,000 points." In the case of WRX2, it is obvious that he could have DOUBLED HIS SCORE -- or more -- if he wanted to, and very easily. As the rules stand, it's simply a test of boredom as to what the highest score should be.

I, for one, have no intention of trying to beat WRX2's record as it stands. Then again, maybe that's what makes it a great score to some people? Anyone....??

-GSH
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Ok, long enough discussion time. Nobody thinks that this trick is acceptable...
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

inp zeroed, special rules edited

Thanks, TJT
horsie
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by horsie »

tndrcadj too, BTW
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Done :)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

mmxx
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by mmxx »

destructor wrote:http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/b/8/2/ez ... olf104.zip
EZmax use leeching on last boss.
NO NO NO!I can't accept ,I just to say :MARP.I know you to late,So much mistake made,because we really a newbie!
I'm a chinese boy.I just like "NO MISS ALL",but not always the scores
mmxx
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by mmxx »

destructor wrote:http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/b/8/2/ez ... olf104.zip
EZmax use leeching on last boss.
I will ask him to delete this INP now.

BTW:
The TJT
but please check "Charlie Ninja" inp
I want to study this game ,and the first score is 1,030,600.just use leeching in stage 4,I think so
GEMANT@TeamItaly,He made a leeching inp too ,I think
I'm a chinese boy.I just like "NO MISS ALL",but not always the scores
GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by GHEMANT »

leeching in Charlie ninja is not infinite, in thundercade leeching is infinite on last boss. In Charlie after 1.000.000pts you can't win other 1up