bm4thmix-h - Hard
bm4thmix-esc - Expert (Street Course)
bm4thmix-evc - Expert (Vocal Course)
bm4thmix-etc - Expert (Techno Course)
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Meh, there's also Double Mode, Battle Mode, and Hidden/Sudden/Stealth (I can only get Hidden to work, but anyhow those are just mods to normal play mode, same keys still, so they shouldn't be split). I don't know how Battle Mode works, but Double is 1P both sides at once (not like 2P mode), so Doubles should have a split. Does anyone know how Battle mode works? I'm thinking it's some sort of 2P deal.

Where's the edit button?! :(
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Battle mode shouldn't be split since it's just a different mode for 2 players. Ordinarily when 2 players play it "splits" the notes up on the song and makes it easier, since each player only has to do certain parts of the song and not the entire thing. Battle just uses the regular notes that would be used on 1-Player mode and puts them on both sides.

Hidden and Sudden are just modifiers and obviously don't need splits. (there's no Stealth, right? Because in IIDX they don't call it Stealth, but you can have both Hidden and Sudden enabled at the same time... it's still not quite the same as Stealth on DDR, because you can see the notes flash in the center of the screen, but it's very fast. And very difficult, obviously)

Double... haha, I wanna see someone attempt that. At least on a keyboard everything would be closer together, I suppose. :D

I'm not sure if Basic and Hard should be split up, because the scoring system in the regular mode is bad enough as it is. If you want to get the highest score possible, you'll have to play easy songs since you have a better chance of getting Just Greats... it's not a good measure of skill...

the Expert Courses however, yes, those three splits need to be done. The Expert courses have a much better scoring system for proving skill. If anything needs to be split, it's these!
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

BBH wrote:Battle mode shouldn't be split since it's just a different mode for 2 players. Ordinarily when 2 players play it "splits" the notes up on the song and makes it easier, since each player only has to do certain parts of the song and not the entire thing. Battle just uses the regular notes that would be used on 1-Player mode and puts them on both sides.

Hidden and Sudden are just modifiers and obviously don't need splits. (there's no Stealth, right? Because in IIDX they don't call it Stealth, but you can have both Hidden and Sudden enabled at the same time... it's still not quite the same as Stealth on DDR, because you can see the notes flash in the center of the screen, but it's very fast. And very difficult, obviously)

Double... haha, I wanna see someone attempt that. At least on a keyboard everything would be closer together, I suppose. :D

I'm not sure if Basic and Hard should be split up, because the scoring system in the regular mode is bad enough as it is. If you want to get the highest score possible, you'll have to play easy songs since you have a better chance of getting Just Greats... it's not a good measure of skill...

the Expert Courses however, yes, those three splits need to be done. The Expert courses have a much better scoring system for proving skill. If anything needs to be split, it's these!
Alright, thanks for clearing that up. I read about hidden/sudden/stealth on the net, I didn't know how to get sudden or stealth to work, so I didn't know if there was or not an actual "stealth" mode.

For Basic and Hard mode, it gave me another score (I think?, it seems like the expert mode scoring) at the very end when it showed "DJ LEVEL" and gave total notes, percentages, and a grade. Maybe that would be better to use, if it is indeed a scoring system and is a better way to score the game. Pic of the screen:

BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

JoeyL21988 wrote: For Basic and Hard mode, it gave me another score (I think?, it seems like the expert mode scoring) at the very end when it showed "DJ LEVEL" and gave total notes, percentages, and a grade. Maybe that would be better to use, if it is indeed a scoring system and is a better way to score the game. Pic of the screen:

That's the total number of notes in your set, not a score.

Expert scoring is:

2 Points for a Just Great
1 Point for a regular Great
0 Points for everything else

so your EX score there would actually be (274*2) + 390 = 938.

I'm not sure if 5-Key Beatmania gives AA and AAA grades... but I know in IIDX, the grading works like this regarding EX scores

8/9 (or more) of maximum EX score - AAA
7/9 - AA
6/9 - A
5/9 - B
4/9 - C
3/9 - D
2/9 - E
1/9 - F

that grading seems to be at least somewhat consistent, since it would take 973 points for an A for that set.

Expert scoring for regular song sets would kind of make sense, since it would reward players who pick songs that have more notes (which are more difficult). But the regular scoring doesn't require any calculating, so I don't think it's going to change. :\

Still, as long as splits come about for Expert Courses, it's all good. :)
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

BBH wrote:
JoeyL21988 wrote: For Basic and Hard mode, it gave me another score (I think?, it seems like the expert mode scoring) at the very end when it showed "DJ LEVEL" and gave total notes, percentages, and a grade. Maybe that would be better to use, if it is indeed a scoring system and is a better way to score the game. Pic of the screen:

That's the total number of notes in your set, not a score.

Expert scoring is:

2 Points for a Just Great
1 Point for a regular Great
0 Points for everything else

so your EX score there would actually be (274*2) + 390 = 938.

I'm not sure if 5-Key Beatmania gives AA and AAA grades... but I know in IIDX, the grading works like this regarding EX scores

8/9 (or more) of maximum EX score - AAA
7/9 - AA
6/9 - A
5/9 - B
4/9 - C
3/9 - D
2/9 - E
1/9 - F

that grading seems to be at least somewhat consistent, since it would take 973 points for an A for that set.

Expert scoring for regular song sets would kind of make sense, since it would reward players who pick songs that have more notes (which are more difficult). But the regular scoring doesn't require any calculating, so I don't think it's going to change. :\

Still, as long as splits come about for Expert Courses, it's all good. :)
Oh, my bad. :?

I'm not sure how high the grading goes (as you can obviously tell, I'm not that good), but the grading does go as low as H.

I think it would be better to change the scoring system entirely to Expert Scoring, and have the splits for Basic and Hard. We could create a page (similar to what was done to Neo Drift Out for Knockout 2) that would calculate the Expert score for those too lazy to multiply just greats x2 and add it to greats. I rather have that than no split at all.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

JoeyL21988 wrote: I'm not sure how high the grading goes (as you can obviously tell, I'm not that good), but the grading does go as low as H.
oh yeah, you're right about that. I've seen that grade come up on newbies who have no idea how to play the game, haha. Mostly people that just go nuts on the turntable and hardly hit the keys. :D
I think it would be better to change the scoring system entirely to Expert Scoring, and have the splits for Basic and Hard. We could create a page (similar to what was done to Neo Drift Out for Knockout 2) that would calculate the Expert score for those too lazy to multiply just greats x2 and add it to greats. I rather have that than no split at all.
Totally agreed. It makes the most sense and rewards those who pick harder songs.

It probably should be put to a vote, but first I'd like to hear if anyone else has any opinions on this.
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

http://www.konami.co.jp/am/bm/4th/ranki ... 0_100.html

Appears there's more Expert courses: Street, Vocal, Techno, Special, Another, Horrible.

Then of course there's the Doubles expert courses, same as above. :)
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

In order to access the Secret Expert Courses, you need to go in the dips (via Tab) and turn Score Display OFF and Secret Expert Course ON.
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

For now I suggest we have just the difficulty splits and let players figure out which expert course gives the most points.

bm4thmix-bas "beatmania 4th MIX (ver JA-A) [Basic]"
bm4thmix-hrd "beatmania 4th MIX (ver JA-A) [Hard]"
bm4thmix-exp "beatmania 4th MIX (ver JA-A) [Expert]"
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

***PL*** wrote:For now I suggest we have just the difficulty splits and let players figure out which expert course gives the most points.
... :\

each Expert course is an entirely different set of songs with a different possible maximum value.

The game does have separate ranking lists for a few of the courses. (I'm not 100% sure which ones as I don't have the .chd yet, but I'm assuming that Street, Vocal, and Techno would have them. Joey?) Konami separated Expert courses when they held internet ranking too.

At the very least, I would think those three courses are deserving of a split.

If it's a concern about too many splits leading to too many leaderboard points, what about just splitting for all the courses and then archiving them? It wouldn't faze my interest in uploading (although I can't speak for everyone else), and I'm sure some people would want to see the recordings too.
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

BBH wrote:The game does have separate ranking lists for a few of the courses. (I'm not 100% sure which ones as I don't have the .chd yet, but I'm assuming that Street, Vocal, and Techno would have them. Joey?) Konami separated Expert courses when they held internet ranking too.
When you have the 'secret' expert courses turned on (via dips), it gives a ranking list for each of them. Street, Vocal, Techno, Special, Another, Horrible; they're all there.

Now we also have to deal with Core Remix and Complete Mix.
(On a side note, I love Core Remix, it's the best, but I dislike Complete Mix).
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

BBH wrote:If it's a concern about too many splits leading to too many leaderboard points, what about just splitting for all the courses and then archiving them?
I would hope that the leaderboard does not matter in such a decision.
bmclean
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by bmclean »

Since the machine itself has different scoreboards for each Expert course, I'm having difficulty understanding why players are being denied that same privilege at MARP. That sort of decision effectively nullifies five of the courses (and much of the gameplay). It's bad enough that the maximum score is already set in stone in Normal and can be gotten regardless of the difficulty of songs played. The different scoreboards on the machine are there for a reason; please split the game to include this facet of it.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

***PL*** wrote:For now I suggest we have just the difficulty splits and let players figure out which expert course gives the most points.
It's not just about points.

If each course is substantially different, I would think there would be interest in viewing recordings on all of them.

The immense popularity of these games would seem to justify a larger number of splits, and the corresponding leaderboard point potential.
John Cunningham (JTC)