Moderator: BBH

dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Hyper Sports NVRAM

Post by dskys »

Okies :)

Should the NVRAM be allowed in HS?

Yeah, it's like the arcade, you get a good head start on the first round pointswise. I can't be bothered to work it out, but i said elsewhere a possible 72k is available 1st round (based on a Pole Vault of 5.92 being the lowest record), obviously decreasing (and moving closer to what non NVRAM recordings will be at) by later rounds.

But, and it's a bit selfish: I can't use it. I'm not prepared to have dozens of different versions of mame, so that I can record an inp for this without being called a cheat for using autofire or the mysterious technique of 'slowdown' (and thus include an NVRAM before recording)..

I use Wolfmame, I can't use an NVRAM yet 72k on my inp would catapult! me to second I think.

The thing is, it's very VERY hard to get a record of 5.92/3 on the first round which would enable a good scoring opportunity on the second and subsequent rounds. Bear in mind that the run-up speed doesn't increase til the third round; basically youre stuck with struggling to hit high heights for 2 rounds because of this (and thereby set the record that you need to allow massive points.)

IMO, this is possibly about the best you can expect on a first round run of HS without the NVRAM (assuming perfect Pole Vault jumps all the way):

Swimming: about 13000 MAX (thats sub 45seconds)
Skeets: 14200, 16200, 19200 (im a bit stuck here, cos i've seen 21200 in arcades, but not sure if that was first round - I cant get 19200 anyway heheh) - 49600
Long Horse: 9.65, 3 times, just over 12500 points - I've had 9.65 a couple of times on the 1st round.
Archery: Fck knows - 4600 x 3? Can't remember what happens at apples, wanna say [edit] 3k bonus, then 3 x 1k (what after that tho? ok sao i did do it :P)? Al/TJT? Anyway - 20k with one perfect :)
Triple Jump - Again not too sure, I reckon you get about [edit] 5.5k per (good) jump - so say 16k.
Weight Lifting: About 15-16k - Big lifts, bonus dependant. I got about 15500 lifting 520kg with no bonuses I think :/
Pole Vault: Assume 5.91. Assume no NVRAM, you can get ABOUT 19k. With a good NVRAM, say with records at 5.92+, you're looking at about a possible max of 85k.

Anyway vote or not :)
Last edited by dskys on Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
#Find another way to me
Find another way and make me free
Then you hear my voice 'don't find another wayyyyy'
Oh i've cried for you, please follow me oh follow meee
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

I vote for no NVRAM to be allowed due to MARPS general rule about no NVRAM.

If we allow it for one game, there will be more to come. If TG allows it, let them do that. We are not TG. This is almost the same as allowing a recording of bubble bobble with all the goodies right arround the corner (It could be like that in the arcade:=)

Just my opinion. Keep on voting!!
QRS
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re: Hyper Sports NVRAM

Post by sikraiken »

dskys wrote: Skeets: 19200 (im a bit stuck here, cos i've seen 21200 in arcades, but not sure if that was first round - I cant get 19200 anyway heheh)
I figure you are talking about one attempt in skeets, but aren't you talking about all three attempts for the other events? Because surely all three attempts for Skeets from a good player would be over 40K (not including your swimming score).
dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Re: Hyper Sports NVRAM

Post by dskys »

JoeyL21988 wrote:
dskys wrote: Skeets: 19200 (im a bit stuck here, cos i've seen 21200 in arcades, but not sure if that was first round - I cant get 19200 anyway heheh)
I figure you are talking about one attempt in skeets, but aren't you talking about all three attempts for the other events? Because surely all three attempts for Skeets from a good player would be over 40K (not including your swimming score).
yeah my error :)

I reckon 14200, 16200, 19200 -about 50k?
#Find another way to me
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Noooooooooooo NVRAM. :)
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

It's amazing how decisively this poll is going when the Saturn leech poll is very close.

it makes you go hmmmm....
JoustGod
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

For what it's worth

Post by JoustGod »

I'm torn between two choices here. Only because this is a unique case among most all other games of MAME. While it is frowned upon in general here at MARP to modify games in this manner, I think this case deserves a closer look. It appears that TG doesn't have a stance on this instance. However, TG tends to like games to be started in a "clean" state. Meaning playing the game as though you were the first to play after the machine was unloaded direct from the Konami factory. There are exceptions, but not many. So, if we were TG, the choice would be obvious. No NVRAM.

This is MARP and I like the fact that the expert players are able to have input for game settings that the rest of us should give a listen to. There are cases such as this that are in need of special, specific groundrules. I don't find it detrimental at all to allow NVRAM. But just for this case. In order to make it fair for all, there will have to be some kind of way to a) use the SAME NVRAM for all participants and b) to be able to record with NVRAM on a secure version of MAME. I will leave that up to Barry and others to discuss the second possibility. I think we just simply create a special rules designation that will also allow the player to obtain the "official" NVRAM to use while recording Hypersports.

So, yeah. Allow the NVRAM I suppose. I know my opinion is terribly outnumbered, but I felt I should express my viewpoint regardless.
dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dskys »

How long does the poll go on for til the result is taken as decided?
#Find another way to me
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

'til it closes for voting...which if you set it up like polls should be is 7 days from when you started the poll.

I wish this phpBB would show the date and time when the poll is finished within the poll question/results area.

If you did the poll when you created this thread and set it for 7 days then it should end August 20, at 1:38pm forum time.

Nice to see so many votes in just 1 day of this poll going.
Q.T.Quazar
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Q.T.Quazar »

i would tend to agree with JoustGod on this topic, except the real issue has never really been mentioned. The players using NVRAM are doing so because they want to challenge the TG scores. They would not have to use NVRAM if TG had gotten its act together in the first place on Hypersports, and made sure all players were playing from clean settings. then it wouldn't matter, because they could be sure they were not facing any disadvantage.

So we are faced with a dilemma where we must decide if we want to follow TG's lead or follow our own lead.

I think the consensus of the vote is showing that players at MARP feel that TG made a mistake, and that MARP's way of doing things is the more valid way of competing (which, of course, is small consolation to Tommi and Al). Maybe TG will takenote.

I think it's a blunder on their part.
--------------
BrokenVaus--Q.T.Quazar's law of MAME: Any game I am good at will have something seriously f***ed with its emulation.
dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dskys »

I seem to be causing issues heheh...

Tommi and Al are FAR better players than me at HS. Fact.

I can't use an NV even if i wanted to. Fact. Hence poll.

At the end of the day (and i've just read some really old posts) I think that they should have the final say. If Al has scored 678k on it back in the day, he should decide. A universal NV, that works on wolfmame (please hehe) is fine by me in light of the old stuff i've read.

But i'm happy either way now.

Sorry to be fckin crap at life chaps.

Adi
#Find another way to me
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Q.T.Quazar wrote:So we are faced with a dilemma where we must decide if we want to follow TG's lead or follow our own lead
Actually, there is a comment on Hyper Sports and playing it in MAME vs an arcade machine for TG...

http://cubeman.vg-network.com/tgts.txt

TG has a policy for MAME that no NVRAM file is allowed. The comments near the top of that page comment this is 1 reason why..among other games and issues, MAME scores are tracked separately from arcade scores.

....so instead of perhaps chasing the arcade score...chase the TG-MAME score which is 432,250 by Mike Daniels with a close second by Alex Weir of 431,330.
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re....

Post by AL »

Looks like no NVRAM so . Ah well , like I said before somewhere the only reason I gave a toss was to challenge that TG score of 538k which WAS scored on a machine that had stored records .

Hopefully when I stop falling over on my face ( read Left hand ) , after a few beers to many , I'll probably give Hyper Sports a bash again . Gotta rid the case of ' Dartitis ' in me left hand which is still a problem .

Later ,

AL

p.s Adrian, I can't believe you can't remember what happens at the apples on the Archery ?!!
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dskys »

heheh, I didnt remember what happened with the score.. i knew the first is something like 3k bonus then 3 x 1k... but then i was stuck till i read the old stuff. still can't get over 678k tho :/
#Find another way to me
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re...

Post by AL »

Ahh...those were the days....Moles,Moles+more Moles . Plus good skeets . Other events don't matter , just once you qualify once . Oh and for your info that 678k and any other really good ones always failed on 45sec00 swimming , 6th round . Didn't know about the 'no-breathe thing' until @17 years later , thanks to Tommi who read about it and tried it out on an arcade machine in Bushworld , sorry America :lol:

Btw Adrian , what button layout did you use in arcades ?
Mine was 'R----J-----R' , that is , 3 buttons in a line , run button either side , and 'jump' in the middle .

Later ,

AL ( back to work....bleh )
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "