Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: re...

Post by LN2 »

AL wrote:Didn't know about the 'no-breathe thing' until @17 years later
I still don't really know about the no breathing thing....knew it existed but never learned exactly how to do it. is it legal?

...not that it would help my times. The 4th or 5th skeet was always the one that got me...not swimming.

In MAME I haven't really tried setting up my keys/controls so I can "run" fast.
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re...

Post by AL »

I would say it's legal alright . It is quite hard to to , although I got it after a few attempts when I first heard of it . One downside is that if you get it completely wrong , you can accidently press breathe too early , and screw-up your time. Ye don't wanna be doing that on the 5th round !

I wouldn't see it as an issue .

Cheers ,

AL ( off home now...)
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

I wasn't asking it as an issue. I was asking for details of how you do it. :P

I knew the trick existed but never learned exactly how to do it....and from an inp I likely won't be able to quite tell when the "hyperventilation" occured...hehe

I know it has to do with multiple breaths as you dive in and surface before you actually start to swim...but that's it.
dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dskys »

AL wrote:Ahh...those were the days....Moles,Moles+more Moles . Plus good skeets . Other events don't matter , just once you qualify once . Oh and for your info that 678k and any other really good ones always failed on 45sec00 swimming , 6th round . Didn't know about the 'no-breathe thing' until @17 years later , thanks to Tommi who read about it and tried it out on an arcade machine in Bushworld , sorry America :lol:

Btw Adrian , what button layout did you use in arcades ?
Mine was 'R----J-----R' , that is , 3 buttons in a line , run button either side , and 'jump' in the middle .

Later ,

AL ( back to work....bleh )
Yeah that sounds about right for the buttons I used.. I don't think I ever got to 45s swimming tho :P There used to be a lad that played it with me and a couple of mates and (i was only what 11?!) he'd help us on later skeets... We didn't know the breathe trick either, usually all failed at (guessing) 48s..

Once, again I was about 11, we were in Ibiza. The bar in the hotel had track n field. Id play day after day (100 pesetas a go rings a bell)

Anyway there was this name that had every record, say it was GUY, I was second in everything. After a week or so the barman asked me if I wanted a game... course I did hehe.. gonna whip the friendly barman's arse :)

He entered his name GUY :(

I'm not joking the guy was mid fckin 50's too hehe
#Find another way to me
Find another way and make me free
Then you hear my voice 'don't find another wayyyyy'
Oh i've cried for you, please follow me oh follow meee
dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dskys »

its been 7 days so what happens now?
#Find another way to me
dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dskys »

AL wrote:I would say it's legal alright . It is quite hard to to , although I got it after a few attempts when I first heard of it . One downside is that if you get it completely wrong , you can accidently press breathe too early , and screw-up your time. Ye don't wanna be doing that on the 5th round !

I wouldn't see it as an issue .

Cheers ,

AL ( off home now...)
Quick point, thing i've found Al. ..

If i do the following, I hit it at least 9 times out of 10 (although i bet i miss it on 50s and below more often cos of the pressure to hit it):

I use a wingman pad with two adjacent buttons configured for left and right. As explained loads of times I dont get the resposiveness i need for the game using a cordless keyboard (although all 'running' is done on the keyboard - its simultaneous presses that are the problem)

Doing this on the joypad to dive and using left alt to breathe 3 times i hit it every* time - not just as i come out of the water either.. it's not as critical as i thought -if i get 3 good clean breaths in at any point BEFORE my character is out of the water i hit it. Thus sub 45 times are almost* a norm for me now. got 44.36 [edited] the other day which is the fastest ive ever done: a combination of perfect dive timing and getting running after the 3 breaths (consider my setup: i have to get my right hand in place after the dive cos ive USED it to dive on the joypad.. ya get what i mean?)

Thought I'd point it out cos I know the theory is that the 3rd breath has to be exactly as you surface, that's almost definately not the case. I dont know what the 'rules' are though that ensure the trick is awarded...

Adi
Last edited by dskys on Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#Find another way to me
dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

ps

Post by dskys »

338k inp attached, hitting it every round - no sub 45's tho - hopefully some kind of anyliser can see hwere the 3 breath keypresses were.......
#Find another way to me
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Greetings from Hua-Hin. Raining now here, so good time to check marp board, internet 20 baht hour... 40 Euro cents.

Many know my opinion on hypersporst nv issue, this has been discussed long time ago. Use of nv makes hs scores comparable to TG arcade. Arcade machines use nv too. No doubt arcade records were not on first game after game turn on.

Lot of people voting here, but how many infact actually interested about the game or making records. I see because somebody can not use nvram(dunno why) not good enough reason to ban nv.

There should always be enough discussion before voting process. Someone should have atleast digdug the old threads about this and point them here.

Old scores recorded with nv should stay anyway. Different issue is if score should be adjusted like nv was not used +playbacks or not without recorded nv.

I will not say anything about dskys's speeds with hes controller, other than don't understand how you do it.. two thumbs or fingers used for running with any controller should not give such speeds. I'll check out later your recordings, back home, when I get my suntan ready :P
dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dskys »

This is getting a little tedious. No doubt I would be a lot slower if I used a different keyboard, a different version of Mame or mapped my controls to different buttons. It’s also worth pointing out that different events in HS require different running styles to get high speeds – imo swimming requires fast rhythmic input whereas long horse needs a more deliberate and controlled technique to get high spins.

Just because you cannot get the speeds I am doesn’t mean I’m cheating – IMO multifinger techniques do not bring the same kind of speeds they do in track and field. In fact I don’t know/remember ANYONE using this technique in the arcades I went to for HS. Maybe the keys on my keyboard respond or spring up faster than another keyboard? But I’ll be fcked if you think I’m going to go out and get myself a proper control panel just to prove that I can still get similar speeds.

Maybe I’ve misunderstood your point, and if I have, apologies, but it seems from the way you’ve written it as if youre saying: ‘We know he’s cheating, we just can’t figure out how.’

If I can get it set up, I’ll camcorder my hands playing the game. I play on Wolfmame, which is accepted as pretty solid and while not ‘cheat proof’ has little features to highlight illegal gaming techniques. I will play any romset you care to provide, on a version of mame of your choosing if it makes you happy, but why I should need to is beyond me. :(

Adi

Ps as for the Nvram, I said elsewhere that it should be up to the people that actually play the game, and as this is a public poll it’s fair to assume that those that have voted do indeed play the game. However, I think someone above suggested a universal Nvram file with accepted records. If wolfmame can be forced to use a default Nvram in the future I don’t have a problem with that.
Last edited by dskys on Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#Find another way to me
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re....

Post by AL »

I had an idea Tommi was on holidays , where is Hua-Hin ?

Adi : 44"29 on swimming ? I always thought if your 'seconds' time was even , so where the hundreds-of-seconds ? Typo , maybe?
Great time either way , and I still dunno how you do it with a keyboard , or gamepad for that matter . I broke a shit load of gamepads playing T+F /HS before Hotrod . I didn't insult myself by playing with a keyboard :)

I agree with you about different techniques for both games , all the same.

Gotta go , boss is lurking.

AL
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

dskys wrote:its been 7 days so what happens now?
Well, an editor is supposed to add the special rule.
Actually, in this special case instead of zeroing out scores that have a nvram file here you can playback the inps without their NVRAM file and see what score it plays back to and adjust the score accordingly. it should still playback just fine and the only difference will be the records being set on that first go-around that likely wouldn't be set with the NVRAM so they won't get some of the pole vault mole bonuses they got with their previously set records in the NVRAM file.

In this case no special rule really needs to be shown given by default no NVRAM is allowed but I think it would be nice to have a special rule just emphasizing that it was voted on and strongly confirmed that even for Hyper Sports no NVRAM file use is allowed.
dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Re: re....

Post by dskys »

AL wrote:I had an idea Tommi was on holidays , where is Hua-Hin ?

Adi : 44"29 on swimming ? I always thought if your 'seconds' time was even , so where the hundreds-of-seconds ? Typo , maybe?
Great time either way , and I still dunno how you do it with a keyboard , or gamepad for that matter . I broke a shit load of gamepads playing T+F /HS before Hotrod . I didn't insult myself by playing with a keyboard :)

I agree with you about different techniques for both games , all the same.

Gotta go , boss is lurking.

AL
lol it's a typo and a half. 44.36 :)

i put a screen shot in general - one of my threads i think...

also i never noticed the seconds / hundredths thing before hehe :)
I don't know why im so fast either, something to note is that if i use alphamame (the last one) i am A LOT slower though i use the same keyboard, layout etc :/ ... so it seems something to do with the way each version of mame interprets what you press? anyone else experienced this kinda thing?
#Find another way to me
dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dskys »

look at me spamming!

I dont know (Al) if it's relevant, but LLL's hi on swimming at the start is 54.01 ... comments?
#Find another way to me
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

re....

Post by AL »

I said " your " times , as in a players time . Don't mind those damned CPU times , there just there to confuse you.......

Good spot though .

Cheers ,

AL ( answering a Spam , apparently :lol: )
dskys
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dskys »

Way to ressurect old, defunct thread me.

What is the standing on this? Now I have second (albeit with no perfects on Pole) I wanna know heh

TJTs score plays to 416k ish without NV so whats the outcome?

Sorry for bringing up age old threads but I kinda stopped playing for a year. There is a score on Hyper olympic that has been edited cos it used NVRam so why not this?

At the end of the day, as said 12 months agos, AL and TjT are MUCH better players than me and i'm positive Tommi could wipe out his score regardless of NV

Anyway
#Find another way to me