Using the second player to play a game?

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

zlk
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Using the second player to play a game?

Post by zlk »

I would like to know what is the official rule on allowing someone to play a game as player 2? Some games allow you to choose if you want to play as player 1 or player 2. In some games, player 2's score will display more digits which could be useful for the obvious reasons. In other games, it is easier for someone to finish the game playing as player 2.

Is there any official rule about this? Is this decided in a case by case basis?
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

No rule on it as far as I know. And I see no reason as to why there should be.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
MJS
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by MJS »

And what about using both players? :P

This is one of the advantages of using MAME over real arcade. You only have to set the same keys for both players and voila, you are twice as powerful!!! (great for shoot 'em up games)

BTW, I don't want this silly technique to be allowed... but it's worth a try if you haven't done so. Very funny! :lol:
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

Two player games are not allowed at MARP. I mean using both players at the same time :)

I think the 'rule' is that you can use the second player if there is no real advantage. I mean if a shooter has two players with different kind of firepower (Like Nostradamus) but there is no difference in difficulty I think it should be allowed. If the second player do have a huge advantage I don´t think it should be allowed.
QRS
LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by LordGaz »

MJS wrote:This is one of the advantages of using MAME over real arcade. You only have to set the same keys for both players and voila, you are twice as powerful!!! (great for shoot 'em up games)
Yeah, I do that as well :). In Raiden this can be good fun and you get an extra weapon when the two ships overlap but don't make them completely overlap otherwise their fire power interferes with each other too much.

On Joust in the arcades it was almost always wise to use the 2nd player because the first player's joystick got so worn out. This did mean you had to pay twice for a one player game though but it was definetly worth it for those marathon sessions :).

Oh and on Marble Madness, it was a good idea to get a friend to play a doubles game with you so you get the 5 seconds bonus for winning each race and get a higher score. This is somewhat offset though by the fact that you couldn't use both trackballs which is what I did :).

Gaz
Q.T.Quazar
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Q.T.Quazar »

the only rule we have at MARP for it is that you can't use second player if it's giving you a discernible points/play advantage somehow. if it's just strategic, then its fine.

there are only a few games i know of that this happens very regularly:

Mortal Kombat II - unsure why
Bubble Bobble - some monster patterns are best worked from the right, + the EXTEND glitch
Galaga - score displays properly on the right-hand side

i'm sure one of the shooter kings could add a few more to the list.
--------------
BrokenVaus--Q.T.Quazar's law of MAME: Any game I am good at will have something seriously f***ed with its emulation.
Q.T.Quazar
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Q.T.Quazar »

both players, of course, is not allowed :)
--------------
BrokenVaus--Q.T.Quazar's law of MAME: Any game I am good at will have something seriously f***ed with its emulation.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

the Mortal Kombat games actually have different CPU AI patterns depending on whether you play on the 1P or 2P side. It's been too long for me to remember the specifics on how they would differ, but I suppose in some situations the 2P side could be considered easier. Why the CPU actually fought differently depending on what side you were on is beyond me, but they kept that "feature" at least through UMK3... (dunno about MK4)

People have implied that Raiden is easier on the 2P side (Hisa and I think someone else did their recordings as the 2P ship) but nobody has explained how it's easier?

Either way, I don't see why recordings started on the 2P side shouldn't be allowed, if you could put in one credit into the actual arcade game and start on that side, it should be fair game...
MJS
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by MJS »

BBH wrote:People have implied that Raiden is easier on the 2P side (Hisa and I think someone else did their recordings as the 2P ship) but nobody has explained how it's easier?
If you choose the blue ship there are less enemies than with the red ship. I have verified that.

I have noticed more differences, but don't quote me on this because I'm not sure if it depends on the side you play or the duration of previous games (I think this is another factor). The differences I'm talking about are: 1) the bullets don't speed up on the third stage; 2) the enemies don't shoot if you are close (with the red ship they shot from nearer); and 3) the gameplay slows down more frequently (this doesn't seem to happen in MAME)
Novice
The greatest info supplyer

Post by Novice »

Defcon=6

Raiden: 1P makes softer enemies. 2P makes fewer bullets.
If you have enough skill to rapid shot, 2P has advantage.

Macross: 1P is slower. 2P is faster. if you have enough skill to control, 2P has advantage.

Thunder cross II : 1P can 3 shots ,2P can 4!! It is almost impossible to clear loop 3 at 1P without autofire. 2P has BIG ADVANTAGE.

Do-donpachi: 1P makes game easier. 2P has star-combo (if you nomiss, not reset star count !! and it will be 999 after 2-3. it is worth about 4+ million points.)
1P has advantage for most of players. but if you want to try real ultimate , then must select 2P.
Gamest/ Arcadia record holder still use 1P.

donpachi: 2P is easy to get first 3 bee- bonus? (even)
giga wing: shot of 2P is stronger. (2P has advantage)
1941: 2P is bigger ,stronger and slower(1P has advantage)
gauntlet: 1P is strong. 2P is tough, 3P has strong shot,4P is fast(4P has advantage)
Raiden 2: stop the game when you use 2P. (1P has BIG ADVANTAGE)
esprade:timer combo is cancelled when you use 1P.(fatal)
2P score become 4-5 million higher than 1P's. especially alice clone(2nd half of stage 5) give very few score for 1P.

.......................I know at least 100 or more.
DEFence CONdition
WAR 1<< >>7 PEACE
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

very interesting stuff Hisa, thanks for the information.

I'm not sure what you mean on ESPRade though? Does that mean that on 2P, you can continue to get x16 bonuses for a longer amount of time than 1P?
Cicca
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Cicca »

Q.T.Quazar wrote: there are only a few games i know of that this happens very regularly:

Mortal Kombat II - unsure why
Bubble Bobble - some monster patterns are best worked from the right, + the EXTEND glitch
Galaga - score displays properly on the right-hand side
Let me add "Marble Madness"....ending each maze ahead gives you 5 extra seconds....and seconds are points once you finish the game.... :wink:
Novice
The greatest info supplyer

Post by Novice »

DEFCON=6
BBH wrote:very interesting stuff Hisa, thanks for the information.

I'm not sure what you mean on ESPRade though? Does that mean that on 2P, you can continue to get x16 bonuses for a longer amount of time than 1P?
YES.

A gold extend "x16 time" for 3/60 seconds if you use 2P.
Alice clone zone has about 800 piecesof gold. = 40seconds.
it is too big.
1P does not have this feature.
Last edited by Novice on Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
DEFence CONdition
WAR 1<< >>7 PEACE
JoustGod
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Civility at MARP?

Post by JoustGod »

OK. Who put the LSD in my water? I think I just saw a civil dialogue between a couple of MARPers who have had less than kind words for each other in the past.

That's more like it. Tell me I'm not hallucinating...
QRS
Editor

Re: Civility at MARP?

Post by QRS »

JoustGod wrote:OK. Who put the LSD in my water? I think I just saw a civil dialogue between a couple of MARPers who have had less than kind words for each other in the past.

That's more like it. Tell me I'm not hallucinating...
HAHAHA!!!
QRS