Request: WolfMAME Linux Binaries

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Request: WolfMAME Linux Binaries

Postby ChrisP » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:54 am

Curious if mahlemiut would consider uploading a WolfMAME Linux binary with each new release, so that those of us who'd like to do our Wolfing on Linux won't have to compile it ourselves.

I imagine that there might be more demand from this nowadays than in the past, since it seems that Linux is getting more popular, and it would save a bunch of people some time, especially if he's already building a Linux binary for himself anyway (is he?)

Just a suggestion/request, might be worth giving it a shot.
ChrisP
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Re: Request: WolfMAME Linux Binaries

Postby mahlemiut » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:55 pm

I can if you want, but I can only produce a 64-bit binary. The one I have already built for 0.179 also includes all the computer/console/other drivers (helps me to test drivers I'm working on). If I do this for each release, also note that it might appear some days later.

I'll upload it if you're interested.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
mahlemiut
Editor

Postby ChrisP » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:03 am

I just got an error compiling Wolf 179, and not having to troubleshoot that would be good. 64 bit is what I'm looking for, and extra drivers are fine. If you you upload it to wolfmame.marpirc.net, I'll grab it, thanks.
ChrisP
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Postby mahlemiut » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:52 am

Ok, it's at http://wolfmame.marpirc.net/wolfmame-0179-linux64.7z

Compiling should be straight forward - most libraries are included and built as part of the process. You'll need GCC 5.x or 6.x, or Clang 3.4 or later (other compilers might work if they support C++14). Only external libraries needed are OpenGL, Qt5, SDL2, and SDL2_ttf. Qt5 is used by the debugger, and can be disabled (as I have done in this binary, although the imgui debugger is still available). SDL2 is in the MAME source also, but is only built for OS X builds.
- Barry Rodewald
mahlemiut
Editor

Postby ChrisP » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:05 am

Thanks a lot for this, much better than the "official" Linux release (which stopped at 0.160, bleh) or SDLMAME for Ubuntu, both of which "install" on your system and spread files everywhere, as opposed to the superior Windows installer-free style where you just extract it and everything can live in the extracted folder. The mame.ini that you get from those versions with -cc is also a little chintsy. This one has a real mame.ini...

In the future, I'll just compile the new versions myself.
ChrisP
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Postby francoisadt1 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:39 am

Thanks mahlemiut for a great compiled binary. I agree a actual self contained Linux release for every new windows wolfmame release would be great then we don not need to install lots of other libraries sitting everwhere.
francoisadt1
Button Masher
Button Masher

Postby ChrisP » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:04 pm

Follow up for anyone interested:

I have been compiling the new WolfMAMEs for myself, and the process is very easy, even for new Linux users, so I figured I'd list the steps. (I alluded to erroring-out before, but that was my fault, I was missing a library, so it was a simple fix.)

The following assumes that you're using Ubuntu, or another Debian-based distro. If you're using Arch, the steps would be a little different (but if you're the Arch type, you probably don't need my noob instructions :wink: )

1. You will first need to install several libraries, but you can do that in one command from the terminal.
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install git build-essential libsdl2-dev libsdl2-ttf-dev libfontconfig-dev qt5-default

Ubuntu 16.04 includes GCC 5.4.0 out of the box, so you won't need to worry about installing that.

2. Download the source code .zip or tar.gz from https://github.com/mahlemiut/wolfmame/releases
3. Extract
4. Open a terminal in the extract folder (or cd to that folder)
5. Command is:
make SUBTARGET=arcade

That's pretty much it.

The makefile is instructed to determine what OS and CPU architecture you're running, so if you're on 64 bit Linux, you'll get a 64 bit Linux executable. The process will take a while (an hour or more), but eventually your mamearcade executable will pop out in the folder you extracted the source to. Move the executable to wherever you keep your MAME executables, then you can just delete the tar.gz and the extracted source folder (it's large).

If anybody has any trouble, or you think my steps aren't good, feel free to post in this thread.
ChrisP
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Postby mahlemiut » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:15 am

On Arch Linux, you can use:
sudo pacman -S git base-devel sdl2 sdl2_ttf qt5-base fontconfig python

If you don't have sudo installed, then you can switch to root, and then do the above, minus the call to sudo.
Remember that Python is required for the build process, although any moderately recent 2.x or 3.x Python should work. You could replace qt5-base with the whole qt5 group if you want, also, but qt5-base should be enough for MAME.
Arch currently uses GCC 7.1.1, with GCC 5.4.0 also available in the gcc5 package.
- Barry Rodewald
mahlemiut
Editor

Return to Regulation Play