Discussion about the MAME Championships
http://sawys.ifrance.com/K7.htm

Moderator: Knockout Coordinators

BBH
Editor

K10 - MAME Knockout Championships 10 Rules

Post by BBH »

FORMAT

For K10, we are sticking with a simple format that's worked in the past. No gimmicky special rounds or surprise rule changes.

Each game is selected by the coordinators in advance and will be posted to the forums shortly before each round is scheduled to begin. As usual, we have tried to cover a variety of genres to test the overall skills of MAME players.

The first part of K10 will be a three-part qualifying round. These are of course open rounds for everyone to participate in. Your ranking in each round will be worth a certain number of points, those points will be added up across all three games. The top 32 point totals will move on to the elimination bracket. Because of this, it is very possible to qualify for the top 32 by only playing two of the three games - we do not recommend this though! Go for as high a total as possible, because these top 32 scores will of course act as the placement seeding.

Each of these three rounds will last for 7 days. There will be no "break" day after the 1st and 2nd rounds, but there will be a 24-hour period after the 3rd round so that the coordinators can confirm last-minute submissions and finalize the results leading into the 32-man bracket.

In the event that we do not get 32 players in the qualifying rounds (heaven forbid!), the tournament will still proceed as normal but the top seeds will essentially get a "bye" week for the 1st round. I do not think this will be an issue, though.

Scoring for placement at the end of each of the first three rounds:
1st - 100
2nd - 90
3rd - 80
4th - 75
5th - 70
6th - 65
7th - 62
8th - 60
9th - 58
10th - 56
11th - 54
12th - 52
13th - 50
14th - 48
15th - 46
16th - 44
17th - 42
18th - 40
19th - 38
20th - 36
21st - 34
22nd - 32
23rd - 30
Each remaining place will be one less point until 43rd place, every ranking below that will be worth 10 points.

At the end of the three rounds, in the event of ties between players with an equal amount of seeding points, the higher seed will be given to the player with the highest overall placement on a single game (example: if Player A and Player B get the same amount of points, and A's highest rank on a game was 2nd and B's highest rank was 5th, then A would get the higher seed). If both players tie on their highest-ranked placement, then we'll settle it by second-highest rank. In the unlikely event that two players finish with three identical ranks... I dunno, we'll flip a coin at random.org I guess?

The second part of the tournament is of course the exciting and unpredictable head-to-head bracket play. Proceeding to the next round will rely entirely on outscoring your designated opponent for the round. Lose and you're out - there are no second chances! As mentioned, players are seeded according to their performance in the qualifying rounds. #1 plays against #32 in the first round, #2 against #31, etc. P

SCHEDULE

Qualifying Round 1 - March 16th 00:00 GMT - March 22nd 23:59 GMT
Qualifying Round 2 - March 23rd 00:00 GMT - March 29th 23:59 GMT
Qualifying Round 3 - March 30th 00:00 GMT - April 5th 23:59 GMT
Elimination Round 1 (round of 32) - April 7th 00:00 GMT - April 13th 23:59 GMT
Elimination Round 2 (round of 16) - April 15th 00:00 GMT - April 21st 23:59 GMT
Elimination Round 3 (Quarter-Finals round of 8) - April 23rd 00:00 GMT - April 29th 23:59 GMT
Elimination Round 4 (Semi-Finals round of 4) - May 1st 00:00 GMT - May 7th 23:59 GMT
Elimination Round 5 (Finals + 3rd place match) - May 9th 00:00 GMT - May 15th 23:59 GMT

RULES

- Recordings are to be uploaded to the game's shortname at MARP. Please include "K10" in the description. If you have an existing higher score on MARP that you do not want to delete/overwrite, we will allow uploading it as an attachment in the thread for that week's game. Please refrain from submitting your score entries in the thread otherwise.

- Each round will last for exactly 7 days, starting at 00:00 GMT of the posted day. Recordings must be submitted to MARP before 23:59:59 GMT of the final (7th) day.

- Most (if not all) games will use MAME's default settings for difficulty, number of lives, etc. If different settings are used, we will be sure to note it in big bold text for that week's game. Please don't record under different settings such as harder difficulty, even if you want to "show off" on a game you must keep in mind that a higher difficulty level can affect other things related to scoring. If you're worried that your settings have been changed and are not default, then delete that game's .cfg file.

- Versions of MAME allowed - WolfMAME 0.106 or WolfMAME 0.148. Please note that there will most likely be at least one round in which 0.148 is ONLY acceptable because of games that are not supported in 0.106. I understand that people like sticking with 0.106, but I would highly recommend making sure that you can run and record games on 0.148 before K10 starts. Personally, I don't recommend 0.106 anyway since it's been proven to have 1-3 frames of extra input lag depending on the game which aren't present in 0.148, but hey that's up to you...

- Make sure that NVRAM is deleted, or set "nvram_directory" to "NUL" in mame.ini. If your recording does not playback properly when NVRAM is deleted, your recording will not be accepted.

-There is no limit to the number of times you may submit on a game, as long as your new recording is a higher score than the previous recording. We encourage regular uploads of your scores as it shows good sportsmanship! (also makes it easier to tell if you're accidentally breaking one of the rules in your submission... what if you waited until the last minute to submit a score, only to find out that you were accidentally playing on the wrong settings, and had your score DQ'ed? Or if you forgot to delete NVRAM? Don't let this happen!)

- Recordings must be uploaded up to 24 hours after they were made, to prevent people from sitting on a score for the duration of the week. As said above, remember that this is all in good fun!

- You must maintain an average speed greater than 95% for your recording. A manual frameskip will usually help speed issues if needed. If you're still having problems getting the game to run at a legal speed, please post - we'll try to do our best to figure out how to get the game running ok for you. In extreme cases we may allow a different version of MAME in which the emulation runs faster on slower computers.

- It is strongly encouraged to use the game's shortname as the filename when you submit your .inp/.wlf file. Long filenames can be a hassle for confirmers/coordinators.

- In the event of MARP encountering some sort of problem with the scripts that makes uploading impossible, we will of course allow submissions to the appropriate thread. If the marpirc.net domain encounters problems that bring it down entirely (which would make both MARP and the forums inaccessible) for a long period of time, then we will likely extend the round when it comes back up.

- All the other usual MARP rules apply - one credit only, no autofire, etc etc.
Last edited by BBH on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: K10 - MAME Knockout Championships 10 Rules

Post by RAX »

Great news, i'm in!
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

Ready to be ashamed by your amazing skills :mrgreen: I'm in. Won't give the best of my performances due to studies, and I hope to have no trouble with wolf148 because of my born-in-2003 PC.

(A wild emoticon appeared on the first post under the SCHEDULE paragraph :D )
wolfman24
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by wolfman24 »

in
ballas
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by ballas »

I'm in.
KVD
Koos van Dyk
Johannesburg
SOUTH AFRICA
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

i'm in. (again)!
Hunter Killer
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Hunter Killer »

Now there´ll be a MAME Challonge bracket!
Barra
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Barra »

Sounds great.
Will be playing in a limited capacity, but Im in.
Cheers!
Andrew Barrow
el_fumador
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by el_fumador »

It's supposed K10 is going to start on 16th March.
However, it has not been announced yet in the main page of MARP. Really ¡I don't know why! I think it should be announced immediately.

Maybe a lot of potential players are not conscious that K10 is coming soon.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

el_fumador wrote:It's supposed K10 is going to start on 16th March.
However, it has not been announced yet in the main page of MARP. Really ¡I don't know why! I think it should be announced immediately.

Maybe a lot of potential players are not conscious that K10 is coming soon.
I never really use the front page news poster because there's no edit function, so I'm worried I'll mess up a link or something, lol.

But yes, there are now 7 days left until the beginning of K10!
saulonpb2
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by saulonpb2 »

i wanna participate, saulonpb.
The Expert keyboard
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

Ok, I´m in too, but I´ll play when I´ll have free time.
Long life to good games
Paulo Valmir
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Paulo Valmir »

count me
Goldtimes
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Goldtimes »

Great. I'm in.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Less than 72 hours until Round 1 begins!