Discussion about the MAME Championships
http://sawys.ifrance.com/K7.htm

Moderator: Knockout Coordinators

destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: K7 - Round 4 - Gunbird 2 (gunbird2)

Post by destructor »

Phil Lamat wrote: Bad points : and I still think that every round must keep the top players (no head-to-head), for example the top15 on Metrocrs (MJSTY out there was unfair) or even the top4 on Gunbird2 (maybe we would have a more thrilling week on this game).
In my opinion Head-to-Head is the best, more interesting, fascinating, paralysing, possessed ... and in final play players who really have more time and can show really skills :D
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

destructor wrote:In my opinion Head-to-Head is the best, more interesting, fascinating
Are you joking ?
In k7, the 2 head-to-head rounds (Metrocrs & Gunbird2) leads to around 30% of players who didn't submit anything, and 30% of players who submitted only the last day.
I have other conception of interest and fascination :?
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Puzzle round was killing for some players (for me too). I want fight with enemies/time or something else in games but no with myself (unknown strenght repulse me from puzzle, I don't know why :lol: ).
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

destructor wrote:unknown strenght repulse me from puzzle
:D not unknown from me : I know it with shooters :D
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Putting aside my obvious bias based on the results of this round, I thought Gunbird 2 was a good tourney choice. Short game, scoring system that isn't stupid. Okay so you get a LOT of points from all the bosses on 1-7, but shouldn't a player be rewarded for getting far?
Phil Lamat wrote:My favourite in k7 : Don't pull (matter of taste, Matt :) )
AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHH
destructor wrote:In my opinion Head-to-Head is the best, more interesting, fascinating, paralysing, possessed ... and in final play players who really have more time and can show really skills :D
How about last year's finals, where neither me nor TRB submitted a replay until the last 24 hours? (which I don't normally do. But TRB had been doing this for the last few rounds, so I saw no reason for me to submit a recording early if he wasn't going to do the same). That's 6 days of nothing, with anyone else wondering how far along the players were...
Phil Lamat wrote:Are you joking ?
In k7, the 2 head-to-head rounds (Metrocrs & Gunbird2) leads to around 30% of players who didn't submit anything, and 30% of players who submitted only the last day.
How about the previous round, which was elimination? 21 players, 14 of which only submitted on MD3, 13 of which only submitted on Don't Pull. Same ratio of players who didn't submit anything (actually it's slightly higher).

It's surprising, there were such a high number of entrants in the first round, but as the rounds go on there's been a prevailing theme of apathy as not everyone who makes it to the next round apparently feels like submitting anything. Hell, I wanted to drop out in the previous round but then I forced myself to play Don't Pull and just barely managed to scrape by. At least a couple people announced they were withdrawing (Martin, verty), but where did everybody else go?
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by TRB_MetroidTeam »

Hi all!

I am travelling, and I am not reading/watching K7 competition. But I would like to show a suggestion (that I thought some weeks ago):

One secondary competition in the year (Fast Knockout?), only head-to-head rounds, all "by luck" (lottery) since the 1st round... and the next rounds... head-to-head really.

It looks an extreme (or aggressive) format, and it's highly possible 2 favorite players fight in the 1st round and the final result (2nd placed, 3rd...) would not be so "fair", but it would be a nice format to players like me, that would like to play this K7, but due to my personal schedule/calendar, I couldn't play.

If the idea would be considered good, some suggestive names:
Advanced Knockout
Extreme Knockout
Quick Knockout
Fast Knockout
Basic Knockout
Real Knockout
Sudden Death Knockout

I agree with Destructor and BBH. The best part is the head-to-head, and is not so good (for expectators) if the rounds have not so much action. But it is "normal" the final rounds be like that. The "abnormal" is so much withdraws without words/announcements...

Yes, I know it's impossible to satisfy all people, but I love the head-to-head part, and I just posted here my suggestion. Thanks!
Valter "TRB" - The Real Battle
Metroid Team, from Brazil
Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 world champions
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Oh yeah.. and good luck to the players in this very nice competition.
PS.: What a pity Innuendo, JLR or Flutotal are no more on the road. Congratulations!
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

TRB_MetroidTeam wrote:Sudden Death Knockout
:D
Excellent idea but 2 Knockouts in one year isn't good. Maybe in one year - normal Knockout, second year extreme Knockout? Or maybe you TRB will start extreme Knockout on TG? :)
About finals: I think here is required good idea (bonusses or something) for not hidding scores until last minute.
sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by sawys »

Phil Lamat wrote:
destructor wrote:In my opinion Head-to-Head is the best, more interesting, fascinating
Are you joking ?
Agree with Phil i prefer the way we played in the K4 with 32 - 16 - 8 - 4 - 2 players, it permits more often submissions even if some players wait the last day to send something like always. Strategy kill the fun for this kind of competition ;-)
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

Thank you, Valter!! We missed you on this great championship! K7 WAS GREAT!!

My favourite game was Golden Axe and I agree with Destructor. I prefer 1 x 1 battle! HAHAHA.

Also, I want to congratulate BBH for his great play on Gunbird 2. I´ve watched the inp and he did a show! :)
Long life to good games
flutotal
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by flutotal »

I don't like when the players put the scores in the last houur too.

The idea of a bonus for the player that put the score fast is a great idea!!!

My suggest: I hate when I am in the... 13th stage (for example) in some game, and one player discover something and break my score in first stage!!! I really hate it!!! So, the most fair to me is: The winner of the round is not only the biggest score. But a mix, just like k6 and ghosts 'n goblis round. That was fair to me!!! And was a great competition!!! Skills is not oly make a big score, but go more far in a game. That's my oppinion.
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

destructor wrote:Excellent idea but 2 Knockouts in one year isn't good. Maybe in one year - normal Knockout, second year extreme Knockout? Or maybe you TRB will start extreme Knockout on TG? :)
I wouldn't like to "decrease" the importance of the normal Knockout. Due to it, this second competition could be very fast and with the main goal of "guys, have fun playing head-to-head!" :) A SECONDARY competition, for itself. The decision if a second competition in the same year is good or not, it is with you all, guys!

destructor wrote:Or maybe you TRB will start extreme Knockout on TG? :)
He he, no way, since the start of the year, me and around 9 other TG referees are no longer TG staff.

flutotal wrote:The idea of a bonus for the player that put the score fast is a great idea!!!
To me, the easiest and best way to do it is use games with good scoresystem. 8)