MARP Seer
MARP Seer

K6 - Round 7 - Grand Final - Salamander

Post by gameboy9 »

Game - Salamander (salamand)

Duration of Round: November 24, 2007, 0000 GMT - November 30, 2007, 2359 GMT

MARP Top Score: 6,628,000

Prize: 350 Euro for victory, 50 Euro for 2nd place

Well, we hope you all have enjoyed our knockout tournament. We know it's been a bit stressful, but I hope it was fun for all of you in the end. But we do have one game left, and... well... we think we're going to be treated to a fine final. Or at least we hope so. Our goal with this final was to come up with a game that was fair for both of our finalists, and hopefully we'd find a game they'd both like. We don't know if we found the game you'd both like... we haven't been too successful so far :), but we do hope this is a fair game. At least it's a shooter, so we ought to have a shot somewhere. :)

Your final challenge is the game Salamander. Will BBH win an unprecedented second MAME Championship, or will Valter pull off what many may consider an improbable upset?

The clock is set at 168 hours... and it starts... NOW! Good luck!

LEADERBOARD:
http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... r_table=10

2.019.200 - BBH
1.324.800 - Valter "TRB"
Last edited by gameboy9 on Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

Oh geeze, those are gonna be loooong replays.
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Based on a life force replay -

1M takes 20min
2.5M takes 50min
5M takes 110min
10M takes 230min

Good luck.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

A shooter with infinite loops... OOOOOOOF.

Anyway, checking the game on wolf106, it defaults to 3 lives to start. Whenever I watched replays of this in the past, I seem to remember it defaulting to 2 lives. Defaults must have been changed somewhere down the line... so just to confirm, we are using 3 lives for this round?
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: K6 - Round 7 - Grand Final - Salamander

Post by INNUENDO »

gameboy9 wrote:Game - Salamander (salamand)

Duration of Round: November 24, 2007, 0000 GMT - November 30, 2007, 2359 GMT

MARP Top Score: 6,628,000

Prize: 350 Euro for victory, 50 Euro for 2nd place

Well, we hope you all have enjoyed our knockout tournament. We know it's been a bit stressful, but I hope it was fun for all of you in the end. But we do have one game left, and... well... we think we're going to be treated to a fine final. Or at least we hope so. Our goal with this final was to come up with a game that was fair for both of our finalists, and hopefully we'd find a game they'd both like. We don't know if we found the game you'd both like... we haven't been too successful so far :), but we do hope this is a fair game. At least it's a shooter, so we ought to have a shot somewhere. :)

Your final challenge is the game Salamander. Will BBH win an unprecedented second MAME Championship, or will Valter pull off what many may consider an improbable upset?

The clock is set at 168 hours... and it starts... NOW! Good luck!
I agree!! This was a very exciting championship!! BBH and Valter will do a nice duel!! Good luck for both!!!

But...

GOOOOOO, VAAAAAAAAAALTER!!! BRAZIL, BRAZIL!! :) :)
Long life to good games
Marco Marocco
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by Marco Marocco »

BBH wrote:A shooter with infinite loops... OOOOOOOF.

Anyway, checking the game on wolf106, it defaults to 3 lives to start. Whenever I watched replays of this in the past, I seem to remember it defaulting to 2 lives. Defaults must have been changed somewhere down the line... so just to confirm, we are using 3 lives for this round?
yes
JLr-DF
Button Masher
Button Masher

Valter.

Post by JLr-DF »

Go valter go, good luck for you and BBH. Win this championship for you and Brazil my friend. but I hope that the best win.
BBH
Editor

Re: Valter.

Post by BBH »

TRB's 300-point submission wrote:K6 - My protest! "Fair" game? My opponent did complaints during ALL the competition, then in the final round, to meet me, seems like the coordinators try to compensate him, and obviously one "not fair for both" game was selected! Hey guys, I know is not so good to say it all, but what is the fun here? Why two SHMUPs in the same tournament??? And for information, also for "consideration", yes, I will play the round, anything (yet more if I would can playback older INPs)!
Ooook.

First of all, I'm not sure what you're trying to imply. Yes, I have complained a lot about the games, I've acknowledged this and apologized for it. I do not honestly believe that the coordinator's choice for this final game had ANYTHING to do with anything I said in the course of this tournament. I'm certain the game was picked out well in advance, and there was no guarantee I'd be making it to the finals anyway.

I do think it's odd that a second shmup was selected, though. I was pretty sure the final game was going to be a puzzle game or something, since we hadn't seen a true game in that genre yet (Tinkle Pit is more of a maze game). Is it not fair? Well, they picked a game that I only had basic familiarity with, and I've been struggling with it quite a bit. It is fair in the sense that neither one of us seem to have a lot of past experience with the game, it's certainly a fairer choice than something like Ghosts 'n Goblins, where nobody really had a chance of beating INNUENDO (thank god that wasn't a head-to-head round).

You know what the funny thing is though? If I hadn't made it to the finals, you would be playing against RedStar, and he's very good at shmups.
Marco Marocco
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by Marco Marocco »

In the first shooter of K6 (Phelios), you had a great score, Valter, so I hope you have your chance.
We tried to be more fair as possible.
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

And there are now 12 hours remaining in this tournament. Ah yes... the tension is mounting, isn't it... :)
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

gameboy9 wrote:And there are now 12 hours remaining in this tournament. Ah yes... the tension is mounting, isn't it... :)
Yes. Two excelent players doing the great final. Who will win?? ;)
Long life to good games
RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by RAX »

Congratulations BBH!
Very powerful play in almost every round of this tournament.

And a GREAT thankyou goes to coordinators team, MarcoMarocco, Sawys and Gameboy9 :!:
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

RAX wrote:Congratulations BBH!
Ditto. And to Valter.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Marco Marocco
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by Marco Marocco »

Congratulations to BBH and Valter TRB ! :D
You had a great K.O. !
BBH got also 4 MARP's top scores and Valter year after year is getting a better player !
Hats off to BBH for repeating K.O.'s 1st place ! I hope BBH had also a little bit fun and not every game was frustrating for him.
I want to say "thank you" to GB9 and Sawys (thanks for all your work!), to all the players have been participating and to say "I'm sorry" to all of you if something wasn't perfect.
Special thanks to all the italian players (nice work, after all) and especially my friends RAX and Gemant.
Special thanks to Gastrainga, TJT, Rick Carter (who had really few time for playing), Don Hayes.
I hope next year K.O. will be also better and more players will join this wonderful site !
The 10th anniversary of MARP is a very important event, especially for the players have been here since 1998 !!!!
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Marco Marocco wrote:BBH got also 4 MARP's top scores and Valter year after year is getting a better player !
Hats off to BBH for repeating K.O.'s 1st place ! I hope BBH had also a little bit fun and not every game was frustrating for him.
If nothing else I think I was able to accomplish some nice things during the course of the tournament - like finishing Ghosts 'n Goblins, Undercover Cops, and two loops of Salamander, as well as completely breaking apart Flip Shot's scoring system (for better or for worse). In the end I'm pretty satisfied with my play for the most part, and that makes all the frustration worthwhile. :) I think I was getting frustrated because I really wanted to win this, and pushed myself a little too hard at times...

Anyway, hats off to TRB too for making it to the finals and putting in a very respectable score on Salamander. There are some people (mainly on #marp) that are under the impression that Salamander is an easy game to play forever on - it most definitely is NOT. With no extra lives, your game can be over in an instant because one wrong move on the later loops can result in losing all of your remaining lives immediately after. It's a very brutal game - Bandit only makes it look easy. I was kinda hoping I could make it to the 4th loop, but couldn't get a game going where I didn't screw up somewhere. Like I said, it's not easy.

I'm sorry again for causing the coordinators to be less than thrilled with my whiny ways. I do have respect for all of you, and I know that running a tournament like this is never easy. Some problems could have been avoided, but nobody's perfect.

See you guys in K7 ;D