K6 - Round 6 - Battle Flip Shot

Discussion about the MAME Championships
http://sawys.ifrance.com/K7.htm

Moderator: Knockout Coordinators

BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Well, RedStar's mostly figured out the strategy on his own so I guess I may as well come forward, since hiding stuff is lame and all.
gameboy9 wrote:I BELIEVE that if you go back and forth with your opponent a lot, you get a target score boost. I believe that if you hit a target with your special ability, you get a bonus. I think the center targets get more points than the side targets by default. Finally, I think you get a bonus if you hit a target by hitting a side wall first.
Yes, no, no, and no
Chad wrote:My guess is that it's a timing thing where it depends on the score or position or movement of the player(s).
aaaaand no

The basis behind what determines the value for each target - the number of back-and-forth volleys / back wall hits.

Each time the ball is bounced back either by the opponent or the back wall, the number increases. This means that if the volley starts with your player, it will increase when it hits your opponent / back wall, and then won't increase again when it hits you - only when it reaches the other side.

The volley starts at the value 1, and goes up to a maximum of 10.

Now for how scoring is determined for each target:

Value of the volley [squared] * 10 * number of targets remaining on YOUR side.

Essentially, this means the base values are 10, 40, 90, 160, 250, 360, 490, 640, 810, and 1000.

One of those numbers is then multiplied by the number of targets you still have up - obviously the maximum is 6, and this is where the 6000 point shots come in.

All those other seemingly random numbers that aren't multiples of 1000... they don't seem so random any more, huh? Like the 4860 value is 810 * 6, 3840 is 640 * 6, etc. I knew there had to be some rhyme or reason behind where the game was getting these numbers from, and I'm glad it's a lot simpler than I thought it would be.

This also means that not only are you missing out on bonus points every time one of your targets is hit - you're losing the maximum amount of points you can get for destroying targets for the rest of the round. That's pretty brutal.

The only other thing I haven't mentioned in regards to target scoring is how many points you get when you destroy multiple targets with a single shot - but that's pretty easy to figure out thanks to the inp INNUENDO posted on the 1st page. If the ball hits multiple targets in one shot without returning back to you, it will award 300 for the 2nd target, then 600, 1200, 2300, and ultimately 4500 if you can get all 6 targets in a row. This is pretty pointless since it seems like the only character who can do this is Siren, anyway.

That's pretty much it. Obviously, this changes everything, and I now fully expect 450k to be beaten.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

bravo, it's a dang volley bonus, it all makes sense. thanks bbh. the straight bonus now nearly becomes pointless.
-skito
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

BBH wrote:...I now fully expect 450k to be beaten.
BBH previously wrote:I'm not going to say that 450k is completely impossible, since certain people out there take much delight in quoting me whenever I say something about a game is "impossible"
ImageImageImage
John Cunningham (JTC)
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Weehawk wrote:ImageImageImage
BBH wrote:450k? Only if someone figures out what the deal is with the "random" score targets.
See, I'm glad I put that there.
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Francois Daniel »

INNUENDO wrote:François, do you remember this?

viewtopic.php?t=11735&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Cheers, friend!!! :)
Yes :p France Vs Brazil or France Vs Poland or Poland Vs Brazil... :)

Too bad, we never make it...
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

Francois Daniel wrote:

Francois, if Moreno go back to Marp, let´s play him, me and Valter, VS. you, RedStar and another french player!! What do you think? Like that challenge between Italy and France!
Long life to good games
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

INNUENDO wrote:
Francois Daniel wrote:

Francois, if Moreno go back to Marp, let´s play him, me and Valter, VS. you, RedStar and another french player!! What do you think? Like that challenge between Italy and France!
I'll give the word to Sawys and Jyd, maybe some others. France Vs Italy (thanks to Italian for qualifying France for Euro 2008 ;) ) have been a 5 Vs 5 players game if I remember well. And this time I'll play against Brazil, even if i'm not so good. I'm not Red, JYD or you Rafael :)
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

You´re wrong, my friend Francois!! YOU´RE A GREAT PLAYER!! In december, I´ll be free. Maybe can do a THE KING OF FIGHTERS challenge, or be, me, Moreno and Valter vs. you and more two french!! :)
Long life to good games
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

INNUENDO wrote:You´re wrong, my friend Francois!! YOU´RE A GREAT PLAYER!! In december, I´ll be free. Maybe can do a THE KING OF FIGHTERS challenge, or be, me, Moreno and Valter vs. you and more two french!! :)
Hé hé, thanks Rafael :) Maybe on Wonder Boy and one or two other games but definitly not on fighting games :p

I'll not be free in december. My job will take me all my time. But in january or february 08 it will be possible to make something, I hope :)
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

36 hours remain... who will win the 25 euro prize?

Boy... that's a bit of a cliffhanger, isn't it? Oh well, it's not as emphasized as much as all those dramas here in the US... but that's another topic for another time. :)
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

gameboy9 wrote:36 hours remain... who will win the 25 euro prize?

Boy... that's a bit of a cliffhanger, isn't it? Oh well, it's not as emphasized as much as all those dramas here in the US... but that's another topic for another time. :)
I guess RedStar, BBH or Valter. They´re the more terrible and good players.

I have fear of Valter. Like the others, he learns very fast. He has reflexes and very experient.

And I can´t do more than my actual score. Very hard game...
Long life to good games
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

Well, this was all I could do.

I won´t play BATTLE FLIP SHOT anymore. I hate this game. Nothing against the coordinators, but I felt like playing a soccer, volleyball or basketball game. Or be, isn´t the kind of game that I like and I can play.

If Valter beat my score, I´ll rooting for him.
Attachments
I hate this game!!!!
I hate this game!!!!
odeio este jogo.JPG (132.7 KiB) Viewed 11183 times
Long life to good games
Marco Marocco
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by Marco Marocco »

Hats off for the winners but also for Redstar and Innuendo :wink: .
You had great results and now let'see the final ... :D
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

It's kinda funny. My opinion on this game went from "unnng not this game" to "okay, maybe this isn't as bad as I thought it would be" to "sure wish I could figure out the scoring system" to finally "cool I figured out the scoring... THIS GAME SUCKS".

I know it was probably unforseeable without lots of playtesting, but the game's scoring system is very flawed. Putting emphasis on the 6000-point shots is a problem when the game's "Straight" bonus is only 10000 in comparison. For optimal scoring, a round has to be given up in each match to get more 6000-point shots. There's no reason to go for straight bonus, other than impatience (or when you think you have a shot at a Perfect on one of the later stages).

But another problem arises from this - sometimes despite your best efforts, the game won't let you properly "lose" the round. You could dodge the ball for 15 seconds while you try to let the CPU take out your last targets, but then it decides to act stupid and lets the ball hit their own target without any assistance from you - congratulations, you're now getting a paltry stage bonus, and possibly losing the chance for more points in the 3rd round if that was your second win. But hey, 10k straight bonus! Yeah!

I thought for sure that RedStar would manage another score with this new information, but I'm guessing he didn't have much time to play this week. I was definitely worried up to the deadline.

I'm still a little disappointed that I didn't reach that 450k mark, but as I said before, it can be done. It's just... not going to be done by me. I don't want to play this game ever again if I can help it. :( Maybe Chad or TRB can crack it someday.
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

Well, this was the end for me. I knew that Valter would beat me. As I told, BBH, Redstar and him, learns to play the games very fast. My score wasn´t high and secure.

I´m very happy for Valter to be in the finals. BBH is an excelent player and he´s a favourite to come to finals too.

I´ll root for Valter. He´s my great friend.

Valter, thanks for you description about my grandmother. Long life for you too, my brother!! DO YOUR BEST, OK??

And to the 3 great coordinators. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! Was a pretty fun challenge. I went more farway than I could imagine. CONGRATULATIONS, MARCO, SAWYS AND GAMEBOY9.

Now, I will back 100% to my studies. Bye, bye!! :)
Long life to good games