Discussion about the MAME Championships
http://sawys.ifrance.com/K7.htm

Moderator: Knockout Coordinators

sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

People who have been "complaining" about K6

Post by sikraiken »

gameboy9 wrote:OK - who's been complaining throughout this tournament...

Sikraiken, Gastrainga(Zhorik), LN2, BBH, Notman

All Americans, ironically enough, but the truth is the truth, and you are all nominated for the knockout coordination. You all seem to know how a tournament should be run, so let's see all of you put up or shut up. If there is anybody who who's been complaining that you know of, let's put them on the campaign trail too.

Yes, there are some people that I just listed who previously coordinated. To that end, I quote Ghosts And Goblins last part of its ending: "Return to starting point! Challenge again!"
Awesome, I'm listed first. I'll start.

- I've made complaints on IRC about game selection. I think just about everyone has at some point.
- I had said that I felt like "breaking my controller" while playing Pang. Before BBH posted what I had said, I had posted "As frustrating as Pang can be, I do like the game for some reason." This is true; Pang was by far my favorite pick out of the whole tournament. I wouldn't consider this a complaint.
- I said something when Nanni was almost disqualified for legitimately posting his INP on the forum. Legitimate complaint, that was ridiculous.
- I said something about how "Wolf106" should be bolded because LN2 missed it in the huge paragraph. I also said something about making it well known when each week starts/ends. Legitimate "complaint".
- My questions about what was allowed/not allowed on GNG, and asking why they should/shouldn't have been allowed. Legitimate "complaint".
- Requoting what BBH said about the "extra day" during GNG week after none of the coordinators said anything. Legitimate "complaint".
- Asking about getting a 50k bonus per life or maybe even switching to the JP version during UCCOPS week. Legitimate request.
- Saying you guys have been taking a while to respond. Legitimate complaint.
- Pointing out that you guys could have changed it, even though Sawys said "we can't change this thing." Legitimate complaint.

So let's see, the only things you can really say I complained about was game selection, which I kept that off the forums, and about how you guys dealt with uccops (in terms of time and response). The rest, do you expect people not to say anything about questions they have, or problems they see?

How hard is it for you guys to communicate? Sawys said he had a problem with his internet. Alright. It takes a couple minutes to read the boards and send each other a message for you other two. Three days for you guys to say anything about UCCOPS? Come on.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

where's the love? Can there really be that much anamosity because (of more than) a few mistakes. yeah, the lateness to responding, and intractability of the rules, and the nominations were a bit of a silly jab of "lets see you do it better." But jesus, play the games that are selected. They are NOT going to be frustration free, f***, for many, every game is frustrating, especially when you have to squeeze as much out of it in a competition.

That said, It's incredibly admirable that the remaining players are putting up high scores on the suposedly lacking clone of uucops.
-skito
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Chad wrote:where's the love?
I appreciate that they're organizing the tournament. People are going to complain no matter what, though. I understand the coordinators aren't perfect, but I don't want to see them coming back at me for their mistakes. : ) Yes, I realize not everything is their fault.

Chad wrote:play the games that are selected.
I think people are still doing that... ; )
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Chad wrote:That said, It's incredibly admirable that the remaining players are putting up high scores on the suposedly lacking clone of uucops.
It's the parent romset, not a clone. It's still a very flawed version compared to the Japanese romset, you say it's "suposedly lacking" - there's nothing supposedly about it, it's a worse game in practically every way. It's nowhere close to being the worst game in the tournament, but it's kind of annoying to play a more repetitive version when the Japanese version is more fun and has a more sensible scoring system.

Now then. I realize I've been the most vocal of the complainers. I'm sorry if I complain about the games a lot, as was said it's almost inevitable no matter what games are selected, but these have been particularly frustrating. Tinkle Pit and Ghosts 'n Goblins stick out the most - they both have really horrible control, and bad control can make a game really annoying. Granted, most of the control problems with Tinkle Pit were fixed when using wolf101 instead, but still.

Marco seems to think I have some hatred of him and the coordinators. This simply is not true. I do not hate anyone here, regardless of what one silly IRC log might say otherwise. I know full well that it's not easy to run a tournament. But I wasn't really bothered by people complaining about any of the games in K5. The games aren't always going to be to everyone's liking, nothing can be done about that. I was annoyed a bit by people who complained about some of the rules, but I'll be honest - K5 didn't run anywhere as smoothly as I wanted it to either, lots of problems popped up, so it was a little disappointing even for me. Anyway, the point is - I don't hate any of the coordinators. What I do hate is when I'm being purposely ignored. Which brings me to what's been a major problem here....

Communication. I'm sorry, but you guys have not done the best of jobs keeping in contact with the players... or each other, it seems. Everything sikraiken has listed above in regards to delays in getting a ruling on something is a completely legitimate complaint. I know you guys might be busy with real life, or have a problem with your internet going down (like it did with Sawys), but if someone has a valid concern regarding a problem with the game and you read it when you're online, REPLY TO IT. You don't have to make the judgment call right then and there, you can just say "We'll look into it and will have an answer for you shortly". It's not that difficult. Just give us a sign that you've acknowledged the post, instead of us having to requote the post every day to see if you guys have anything to say about it.

Lack of communication between the coordinators has led to some other hiccups along the way too, even in regards to the tournament rules themselves. In the last phase of round 1 we were encouraged to try our best so we could have a high seed and get a bye from being in the top 4. What wasn't mentioned then, and apparently not even all the coordinators understood this completely, was that all the seeds from those early rounds would be thrown out, and the seeding for the rest of the tournament would be determined solely by one game. I still strongly disagree with that course of action, but what's done is done there. Oh yeah, and the whole gng thing where the wrong date was initially put in the first post, and GB9 believed that it was unchangable and the round would extend an extra day.

Again, I'm sorry if I've been particularly vocal in complaining about the games, but I still feel that most of them are very valid complaints. And if I even have to say it again, I do not hate any of the coordinators, since Marco seems to think I still have something against him (other than the way I was completely ignored in the last round and couldn't get a response until I posted somewhere that isn't this forum).
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

Well, you guys complain, legitimately or not, all you want. I'm probably going back into exile in about... oh... 18 days. I'm sure you all want that, so your wish is my command. I actually wouldn't suggest coordinating this thing to my worst enemy, but...

Well, any rate, it's pretty tough to run things perfectly when we have REAL problems and REAL situations that we have to come up with REAL solutions in the REAL world, isn't it?

And it's pretty tough to keep a good attitude about it when the complaining comes with an attitude.

And that's all I'm going to say about that. I have other things to do with my time now... so see you later.
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

Actually, I have one more thought. If we were being paid to do this, I would say you all would have legitimate beef, but we're not being paid a dime.

In fact, Marco is going to spend about $900 USD over this tournament. Anybody else want to do that?

Oh well, I guess nobody cares about that, because we apparently failed at being good coordinators.
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

gameboy9 wrote:Actually, I have one more thought. If we were being paid to do this, I would say you all would have legitimate beef, but we're not being paid a dime.

In fact, Marco is going to spend about $900 USD over this tournament. Anybody else want to do that?

Oh well, I guess nobody cares about that, because we apparently failed at being good coordinators.
Well, I don´t think so. I´m personally, having fun. The important is to have a nice competition and I know THAT ALL HUMAN BEINGS ARE LIMITED. It´s impossible to do everything perfectly.

Look, it´s my own opinion. This is a great tournament, and I know that I don´t have time enough. Everytime I tell: "I can play, but I´m studying too".

I´m friend of all of you. If all you consider the same of me, I´m very happy. (EDIT) I´m telling this, because I don´t want to fight against no-one of you, be players, or coordinators.
And I liked the Chad´s comment.
Long life to good games
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

INNUENDO wrote: Well, I don´t think so. I´m personally, having fun. The important is to have a nice competition and I know THAT ALL HUMAN BEINGS ARE LIMITED. It´s impossible to do everything perfectly.

Look, it´s my own opinion. This is a great tournament, and I know that I don´t have time enough. Everytime I tell: "I can play, but I´m studying too".

I´m friend of all of you. If all you consider the same of me, I´m very happy. (EDIT) I´m telling this, because I don´t want to fight against no-one of you, be players, or coordinators.
And I liked the Chad´s comment.
Thank you.
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

I care, Gameboy. Everybody here cares. And this tournament IS GREAT!! I´m sure of it.

And for me, it´s a surprise. I can´t imagine be in this position. I will keep trying to do my best.
Long life to good games
Marco Marocco
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by Marco Marocco »

Two days ago I wrote to GB9 and Sawys and told them we've made mistakes, but that I was tired of aggressiveness.
Now I say stop to all the flames.
I thought BBH and Notman were ill-disposed towards me and perhaps I had some reasons to think it, but perhaps I'm wrong.
BBH after flames (I told him bad words) tried to keep peace.
I didn't answer last week (Notman, I never disappeared from this board) only because I was disappointed from BBH's behaviour.
Some of your questions in last week were admissible and not silly but I was really tired of flames and complaining.
Also Chad noticed the "anamosity".
But now stop.
I want to say I'm sorry to all the players, first BBH, for the mistakes (of course I've responsability of all the mistakes), but sure others I'll make.
I want to say to BBH "sorry Matt for my bad words, much misunderstanding between us".
I hope we can go on all together.
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

GET THE BUCKET, GB9!!!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Geesh, GB9 and Marco. You guys need to chill out, man. Have you guys forgotten how to have fun with the tourney since day 1, yet. The last comment I wrote was a joke. :wink: Get it! :wink:
Attachments
BUCKETHEAD!
BUCKETHEAD!
bkthead.jpg (4.26 KiB) Viewed 10185 times
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

Marco Marocco wrote:Two days ago I wrote to GB9 and Sawys and told them we've made mistakes, but that I was tired of aggressiveness.
I thought BBH and Notman were ill-disposed towards me and perhaps I had some reasons to think it, but perhaps I'm wrong.
I didn't answer last week (Notman, I never disappeared from this board) only because I was disappointed from BBH's behaviour.
Some of your questions in last week were admissible and not silly but I was really tired of flames and complaining.
But now stop.
I want to say I'm sorry to all the players, first BBH, for the mistakes (of course I've responsability of all the mistakes), but sure others I'll make.
I want to say to BBH "sorry Matt for my bad words, much misunderstanding between us".
Thanks for extending the olive branch Marco. On that theme, I'd like to make a public apology to each of the coordinators if anything I've said has offended them. Let's make peace and move on sharing our common interest in MAME and competitive gaming.

-George
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Competing week in week out is obviously hard. What we're seeing here is consequence of that?
In this kind of tournament where you don't know games beforehand there always will be some not so happy campers. Doing well in knockout is as much about determination and mental toughness as it's about talent/skill. It wears you out. Playing GnG for a few days and still not getting past those darn bosses definitely did that to me. 8O

Hope you coordinators don't take those complaints personally. Sure nobody hates anybody here. It's the system, you always have to fight the system, right? :)
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

gameboy9 wrote:Well, you guys complain, legitimately or not, all you want. I'm probably going back into exile in about... oh... 18 days. I'm sure you all want that, so your wish is my command. I actually wouldn't suggest coordinating this thing to my worst enemy, but...
You wouldn't wish it on your worst enemy... so, what does that make me and the 4 others you wished it on?
Marco Marocco wrote:Two days ago I wrote to GB9 and Sawys and told them we've made mistakes, but that I was tired of aggressiveness.
But now stop.
Thanks, Marco. As I said before, I harbored no ill will against you. Yes, I've complained a little too much, I shouldn't use this board to vent my frustrations with the games. I do respect you guys for putting in the effort to run a tournament and try some new things with the format. I was just disappointed in the lack of communication that's been mentioned in the last posts... funny that's what a lot of the problems have been about - communication and miscommunication...

I'd also like to point out that I had nothing to do with what NotMan has said. Yes we were both former coordinators, but I didn't tell him to say any of those things (or vice versa)

But anyway, I've been a negative person with a bit of an attitude. So I'd like to dwell on some of the POSITIVES of this tournament, just to be different for once.

Sawys, you've done a great job with the webpage. All the extra tables and statistics were a nice touch. A lot more effort went into it than the crappy-looking page I put up for K5, so good job.

One round being a time trial was an interesting twist. Sure it wasn't a game I enjoyed very much, but it was a neat change of pace that worked pretty well. Although, most of the players got stuck in the same area so it became a race to see who could get to that stage the fastest... but it's not a bad idea at all for future tournaments.

GB9, I liked how in the early rounds you kept the tradition of the "junk replay" alive. And then you guys went one step further by including a "Coordinator Leaderboard" in the first post that was separate from the main leaderboard. Nothing serious, just there for fun. Yet by the time we got to round 2, you guys had completely abandoned this. Which is really quite a shame, because I think that by playing along in the games, you guys were better connected to the players. It was all in good fun, right?
RJM
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by RJM »

Ok. I'll TRY to keep this brief but where alcohol is involved that can sometimes be a problem.

I'd like to publicly thank the coordinators for their efforts in running K6. I know that if I tried to run this the number of complaints would be tenfold.

On a game by game basis:

Pang: A personal favorite. Shame I couldn't finish it.

Pole Position: The ONLY game I complained about ( see the comment on my posted recording). The irony is that I won an Atari 7800 contest playing the Pole Position Test Track. Oh well....

Phelios: A fun game. I had played it once or twice before. I will have to get back to this game. A hidden gem IMHO.

Tinkle Pit: The game that knocked me out. For what it's worth I actually liked this game. Just couldn't get the hang of it.

From that point on the only game I'll comment on is Ghosts and Goblins. I really like this game but seriously suck at it. If by some miracle I'd made it past Tinkle Pit I'd have crashed and burned here.

Looking forward to K7. The knockout competitions are the only MARP competitions I've got the balls to actually try my luck in. Any other competition would just be embarassing considering my crappy skillset.

Cheers

Rob (RJM)