k6 - round 3 - Ghosts'n Goblins [Time Trial]

Discussion about the MAME Championships
http://sawys.ifrance.com/K7.htm

Moderator: Knockout Coordinators

Marco Marocco
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by Marco Marocco »

Definitively: we guys are picking up games against BBH, but he's too strong for us ... :lol:
GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by GHEMANT »

stage 5
Attachments
gem_gng_stage5.zip
(24.02 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
Nanni
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Nanni »

Marco Marocco wrote:Definitively: we guys are picking up games against BBH, but he's too strong for us ... :lol:
Yeah, i already hear the story: "i'm human... believe me 8) "
its only an evil scheme to keep the truth away from people :roll:
ask Fox Molder for details...
:wink:
GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by GHEMANT »

finally stage 6. This replay is a bugs compilations... shield weapon appear in stage 5, but is impossible take!!!
Attachments
gem_gng_stage6.zip
(46.6 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Most frustrating game ever.
Attachments
TJT_gng_1-6.zip
Around 42 000 frames completing 5
(29.13 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
Last edited by The TJT on Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

Reached Stage 6 (barely)
Attachments
gng_1-6_41000frames_or_so.zip
(30.79 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

gameboy9 wrote: 3. We'll count that as six stages.
BBH wrote: 3. I don't really agree with this. I think you should only get credit for clearing stage 6 if you actually reach stage 7. It's much easier to beat the stage 6 bosses if you don't pick up the shield, and under these rules I foresee beating stage 6 to be enough to make the top 12, at this rate.
I completely agree with BBH here. It's so much easier to beat those vampirebat bosses at stage 5 and 6 with knife compared to shield, you can shoot them from distance while shooting with shields you have to be close. As you see most of the recordings end with stage 5 boss, when shield is used.

Even the game developers think that completing those bosses with knife does not count, but you are sent back to beginning of 5 instead of second loop! I think we should do the same: If stage 5 or 6 are finished with other than shield, they should not count. Not to mention that with knife you win time because not having to leech for the shield at firebridge scene.

Also as BBH said, beating boss 6 certainly gets you to top 12. It might even get you to top 4. Also, it's more than probable with current rules that last days will be a knife-rush...all those competitors who are actually trying to get *through* 1st loop will be left behind by knife-rushers and not qualifying for 4th round.

I strongly suggest coordinators to reconsider their position on this. Please do not make frustrating game even so because of the rules. Thanks for answering this post.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Edit: I completely agree with just about everything TJT said above me. Very good point about how the game itself doesn't really acknowledge that you truly "cleared" Stage 6 unless you do it with the shield. I would strongly suggest the coordinators reconsider their views on this.

The only thing I disagree on is that clearing stage 5 without the shield should be permissable - you can theoretically use a different weapon up until that point and then obtain a shield on stage 6 before the bosses, but it doesn't happen all that often. For the most part it's a much better decision to get the shield as soon as possible anyway, if you're actually making an effort to clear the loop.
Marco Marocco wrote:Definitively: we guys are picking up games against BBH, but he's too strong for us ... :lol:
I knew it. You guys were trying to break me.

BUT I WILL NOT BE BROKEN.

All clear, last boss killed approximately 22:48 in. Three deaths, on 2-1, 2-2, and 2-5. I felt really stupid after the 2-2 one. Oh well...
Attachments
bbh_gng_2loopsclear_thenightmareisover_wolf106.zip
(44.6 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Loop 1, stage 5. Can you tell that it's the first time I got there?
Attachments
br_k6_gng_stage1-5_95200.zip
Stage 5 is FUN.
(21.62 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by sawys »

Hi :-D

A few word to tell you that i won't be at home (and no internet connection) from tomorrow till next saturday or sunday for my holidays. If there is no changing in the program because Romain is ill...

So no update for the end of round 3 and for the beginning of round 4.

Cheers !
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

The TJT wrote:
gameboy9 wrote: 3. We'll count that as six stages.
BBH wrote: 3. I don't really agree with this. I think you should only get credit for clearing stage 6 if you actually reach stage 7. It's much easier to beat the stage 6 bosses if you don't pick up the shield, and under these rules I foresee beating stage 6 to be enough to make the top 12, at this rate.
I completely agree with BBH here. It's so much easier to beat those vampirebat bosses at stage 5 and 6 with knife compared to shield, you can shoot them from distance while shooting with shields you have to be close. As you see most of the recordings end with stage 5 boss, when shield is used.

Even the game developers think that completing those bosses with knife does not count, but you are sent back to beginning of 5 instead of second loop! I think we should do the same: If stage 5 or 6 are finished with other than shield, they should not count. Not to mention that with knife you win time because not having to leech for the shield at firebridge scene.

Also as BBH said, beating boss 6 certainly gets you to top 12. It might even get you to top 4. Also, it's more than probable with current rules that last days will be a knife-rush...all those competitors who are actually trying to get *through* 1st loop will be left behind by knife-rushers and not qualifying for 4th round.

I strongly suggest coordinators to reconsider their position on this. Please do not make frustrating game even so because of the rules. Thanks for answering this post.
OK - FINE! :P I'll give you five stages completed, but I WILL NOT give you four. You can pick up a shield in the sixth stage.
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

Now that we've set a record for the most whining in a tournament... :P

BBH and Innuendo are separated by one second. I will re-time them on a frame-by-frame basis if neither improves their score.

Don Hayes and Mahlemiut are tied. I will re-time them on a frame-by-frame basis if neither improves their score.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

gameboy9 wrote: OK - FINE! :P I'll give you five stages completed, but I WILL NOT give you four. You can pick up a shield in the sixth stage.
Fair enough. Thanks. :)
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

Well, it turned out that I didn't time BBH's recording very well... the difference in 21.60 seconds. (actually, I think it was more my math stunk there.)
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Since it seems to have been overlooked, I'll requote it...
BBH wrote:
gameboy9 wrote:Hmmm... I think we've given you an extra day to play this game... I thought this round would end on the 29th...

We've made our bed though.
Um... I know there is some stigma attached to not changing the rules on anything once the tournament is started... so now that it was originally stated that this round would end on the 30th at 23:59 GMT, you don't want to change it to what it should be, the 29th at 23:59 GMT. Because changing the rules is bad.

However, unless I'm missing something, all rounds in this tournament are supposed to be exactly one week in length, yes? So changing this round to 8 days is effectively changing the rules. I'm pretty sure most people were under the impression that this round was one week and didn't pay very close attention to the date. I know I sure didn't.

What I'm trying to say is - please oh please don't make us play this mess of a game for an extra day.