K6 - Round 1 - Part 2 - Pole Position II (test track)

Discussion about the MAME Championships
http://sawys.ifrance.com/K7.htm

Moderator: Knockout Coordinators

The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Banana split

Post by The TJT »

Phil Lamat wrote:
The TJT wrote:At Marp, TG settings should be banned at parent, Namco romset now. Perhaps at all romsets and tracks, since HP has some kick-a*s scores at default settings here. Phil?
Well, according to Marp's rules, it's hard to DQ hp's input because it has been played with harder settings.
Or maybe we can make a split to separate default & TG ?
Well, I wouldn't say it's harder settings when you get more points. And it appears HP didn't play on TG settings, since TG arcade record is 81k, that must've been with one more additional round compared to mame defaults. Or he played with TG settings, but TG got their settings wrong...

What I'm saying is that we have over 50 players playing the game without real change to break marp record, which is not good. I think it comes down to how good HP's score actually is. I'd imagine that we will have equally good runs this week, it's test track for god's sake... :)
But I agree, optimal solution would be to split (As long as we won't make a habit of it, splitting mame default and TG).
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Here's fun article from TG's website.
Klug was playing Pole Position, which would be Fuji track in Pole Position II:
Mike Klug, Pole Position champ, was at Twin Galaxies to break the world record shared by himself and Les Lagier. The high score of 67,260 had been achieved over one year before and Klug was hoping to make a breakthrough while at Twin Galaxies. Klug was a true warrior. He sat in the cockpit and played and played. After hundreds of games, he became so tired, that he rested his arms by driving the qualifying laps with his feet. Later, in 1986, Mike would finally pass one more car to raise the world record to 67,310. Les and Mike believe that even one further car can be passed before attaining a maximum score which can never be beaten.

On the final night of the marathon, a reporter arrived to conduct interviews. I told him we were having a special contest for players who could only use their feet. I pointed to Gault who had his right foot propped up on the joystik, working his Q*Bert game. His hands were frantically working the Rubik’s Cube held over his head.

“Follow me,” I said, as I invited the reporter into the bowels of Twin Galaxies. I had put my fingers to my lips to suggest silence as we watched Chris Emery’s head bob up and down and finally settle into sleep on the Joust machine. The reporter looked confused but I continued back further into the arcade until we were right behind Mike Klug. After 200 games of Pole Position, Klug was burnt out. He was slumped in the cockpit with his feet up on the steering wheel. He was working the gas pedal with a stick held in his hand. My eyes became riveted on the score counter as it went higher and higher.

“Wow,” I exclaimed out loud as the final score crept past 66,000 points. Klug heard me and looked up at us. “Mike, this is a reporter, tell him how many people in the world can break 66,000 points on this machine.”

Klug sat up and slowly said, “Maybe three or four.”
dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

Not that it really matters, but I'm curious what the fastest possible qualifying lap time is? I've gotten 50.83 and 51.01, but usually seem to end up in the low to mid 51's.
Larcen Tyler
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Larcen Tyler »

How do you manage to get such a fast qualifying time? I'm lucky if I can make 53 seconds!
dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

How do you manage to get such a fast qualifying time?
Someone posted earlier about this. Start off in high gear with the pedal all the way down. When you reach about 110Kmh switch to low gear. Then, when you reach about 220-230Kmh switch back to high gear. This gains you about 1 second off your time.

The other thing I've been trying to do is to minimize the amount of tire squealing when taking the corners at full speed. Watching the real masters' recordings to see how they do it helped me here.
sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by sawys »

dbh wrote:Not that it really matters, but I'm curious what the fastest possible qualifying lap time is? I've gotten 50.83 and 51.01, but usually seem to end up in the low to mid 51's.
Personnaly did : 50.79
Attachments
0003.png
0003.png (3.73 KiB) Viewed 9773 times
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

It is perfectly possible to get under 53 seconds without any little tricks like that, anyway. Just don't slow down, if you can help it, which is easiest on the qualifying lap, with less cars to smash headlong into. :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Marco Marocco
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by Marco Marocco »

totally 68 players (with the entering of Innuendo, TJ and Rick Carter)
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

I got a 50.54 on the qualifying lap... Gavin says he got somewhere around 50.3, I think.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

dbh wrote:Not that it really matters, but I'm curious what the fastest possible qualifying lap time is? I've gotten 50.83 and 51.01, but usually seem to end up in the low to mid 51's.
I got 50,45.

Yes, as little "squealing" as possible, although squealing is much better than going off road. Not sure if sound-cue makes difference when your car doesn't actually skid. I think not.

If you go very close by other cars, your speed decreases. Avoid curb like plague.

High 0-105, low 105-130, high -tactic is very useful. As Pete told us, it saves around 1 second and you can still make small mistakes getting under 53 seconds.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

P.S. about TG arcade records/settings:

I think there are two different settings mixed on scoreboard. Some are 4+1 laps, couple first scores are 5+1.
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

yeah, TG's tracks are messed up that way...why on earth they have 5 laps for the arcade track given the TG settings are supposed to be for 4 laps is beyond me. The MARP track has it right.
J O E
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by J O E »

update the chart...

i've send my INP 2 days ago...
Street Fighter2 H.F Master

Sergio...per sempre nel nostro cuore...
deadful_melody
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by deadful_melody »

J O E wrote:update the chart...

i've send my INP 2 days ago...
Next time put "K6" in the description field and your submission won't get overlooked....
~ Paul McCallon
RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by RAX »

My best is 50.65, and in another game 407Kmh maximum speed in qualyfiing round