Round 1 - Part 1 - Pang

Discussion about the MAME Championships
http://sawys.ifrance.com/K7.htm

Moderator: Knockout Coordinators

BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Marco Marocco wrote:I don't like the tone of your post.
Do you really think I'm not able to complete Pang :cry: ?
Note the use of the word "yet" in my post.
If the game would be very hard, why in a pair of hours you got 50 level and I think it was much time you didn't play it ?
Hell if I know. Note that even though I got to the last stage that quickly, I haven't been able to complete it since then. And I've been trying. I have put in quite a few hours since that time and still can't do it. I WANT to finish it just so I never have to play it again.
Why players who played this game few times in the life completed more than 30 levels in less than two days ?
Because the early levels are easy and the game gives plenty of extra lives early on? Some of the most bullshit levels come after 30 (especially 33 and 36), and that's where the extra lives stop. (except on 34 and 40, if the game feels like giving you the 1-ups)
Please play and don't have controversy with coordinators.
Sorry, but when we have to play a game this maddeningly frustrating, I need some outlet to vent... besides IRC, anyway. Speaking of which, apparently I'm not alone!

[22:30:07] <BBH_> I feel that Pang is far more frustrating than the average game
[22:32:44] <gstrain> I would agree based on the number of profanities I've uttered and the number of times I've felt like punching the screen
[22:33:54] <sikraiken> haha
[22:34:01] <sikraiken> I felt like breaking my controller in half sometimes
[22:34:04] <mahlemiut> amen
[22:34:06] <sikraiken> I can't remember the last time I felt that way
[22:34:17] <sikraiken> I think I ever went as far as trying to at one point

Again, I'm sorry if I offended you, it's nothing personal. This game just brings out the worst in me :(
Marco Marocco
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by Marco Marocco »

No problem for me at all :D

I'd like everyone does his best and has fun.

Nothing else.

I'm sure BBH will complete the game and many others with him.
DeSangre
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by DeSangre »

As frustrating as Pang may seem, the reason why you, me, sik, and everyone else comes back at it, it's because it rarely feels unfair.
If I do analyze my games carefully, I can see how everytime I lose at least 5-6 lives due to greed or poor planning, other I lose because I'm not a great player :D .
The game gives you more than enough lives to compensate for the "unfair" death (which rarely can still happen).

I love this game, because it has risk/reward, a tight gameplay and keeps you coming back for more.

So Marco, great choice, and don't mind BBH. He's had one RED GEM too many lately.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

DeSangre wrote:it's because it rarely feels unfair.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Thanks, I needed a good laugh to ease the frustration.
Marco Marocco
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by Marco Marocco »

Ok, now stop, please !
Fair or unfair Pang is the first game ... I remember games much more unfair and unbalanced ...
BBH, you're a great Marper and the last Chairman Coordinator of KnockOut and it would be nice you give the good exemple ... :)
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Marco Marocco wrote:BBH, you're a great Marper and the last Chairman Coordinator of KnockOut and it would be nice you give the good exemple ... :)
It's like I said, the game just brings out the worst in me. It's alright though, because I'm definitely not playing this any more. It's just not worth it.
DeSangre
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by DeSangre »

BBH wrote:It's like I said, the game just brings out the worst in me. It's alright though, because I'm definitely not playing this any more. It's just not worth it.
Well if you think you reached a good score, you should be happy :D
Zotmeister
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Zotmeister »

Almost forgot this started! I think Pang (or Buster Brothers for us North Americans) is an excellent, often overlooked and underrated game of skill. I should be able to get some ranking points out of this one. - ZM
Darkness lessons learned/Avenging golden tresses/Yellow flower blooms
- "(dedicated to Millia Rage)", original haiku
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

yeah, I forgot it started until Sunday just a couple hours before I had to go to work.

now...not sure I will have any time to really play it. My personal high is around 2.5 mil on it from a few years back...but haven't played it once since.

now during week hard to have time to play at all. I guess I will submit something in a couple of days.
wuzel
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by wuzel »

in some part i must agree with BBH. This game looks very easy - silly bubules jumping near you - you think they can not hurt you at all but after some tries you think again "damn so easy game i can not finish - i sux ass".
And marco has a good point too. Game is easy because fro exampl a guy like me has 700 000 after first few tries :)

good selection.
pity that i will propably not stay long in this even if manage to next round.
It's good 2 be here with U guys :)
BDF
Button Masher
Button Masher

Mathematics

Post by BDF »

Hummm!....
32. 0.845.030 - STAGE 24 - Skito
33. 0.769.480 - STAGE 22 - BDFil (France)
34. 0.771.950 - STAGE 24 - Notman
35. 0.732.200 - STAGE 19 - Long John Silver
I think that my 769k is not higher than notman 771k 8O
Except if referees consider that my wonderful gameplay can fill the 2k gap missing :D
Jerome
sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by sawys »

Sorry but SFChamp score of 1.182.960 is not valid for the moment because :

It playbacks only until 870.450 (stage 26) and the 48 hours rule isn't respected (game recorded on 22 september and posted on marp on 25 september),

Next time please put K6 in description box
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
Gaplus
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Gaplus »

Finish with 2 life to 2947590..

I have caught up the last level with 4 lifes.. :(
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

Phil's recording is good... but is starting beyond stage 1 legal? I'll leave that up to Marco to decide.
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

If the game allows it, why would it not be?!?

Everyone else is free to do the same, for the sacrifice of easy 1600 point bubble points off the earlier stages of course......

Cheers,
BeeJay.