K5 Round 3 - I, Robot (Elimination)

Discussion about the MAME Championships
http://sawys.ifrance.com/K7.htm

Moderator: Knockout Coordinators

destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

I found where is key in your recording Udirnel.
In your cfg file is line:

Code: Select all

<cpu>
            <clock index="0" value="130" />
        </cpu>
Probably you don't know what this do. I know. It sets delay for CPU. Your delay value is 130. We don't see it using eyes during gameplay, but game looks a bit slower when I play using this line. If you want how it work enter value 1000 or 5000 instead 130 and try to play.
Then your replay probably will be not accepted. It's cheat, you delayed CPU probably by mistake :(
Udirnel
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Udirnel »

destructor wrote:I found where is key in your recording Udirnel.
In your cfg file is line:

Code: Select all

<cpu>
            <clock index="0" value="130" />
        </cpu>
Probably you don't know what this do. I know. It sets delay for CPU. Your delay value is 130. We don't see it using eyes during gameplay, but game looks a bit slower when I play using this line. If you want how it work enter value 1000 or 5000 instead 130 and try to play.
Then your replay probably will be not accepted. It's cheat, you delayed CPU probably by mistake :(
Des,

I see no difference playing with or without the cfg file.

Udirnel
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Change value to 5000 you will see. Maybe mahlemiut add more info.

With value 130 is hard to see it. But if you play a lot on normal setting and next on delay 130 you will see it especially in space levels.

In older versions MAME it name was overclocking and was available when you press ` key.

PS. On olders MAME versions I often pressed this key by mistake (I have W key for shoot). Inps was incorrect then. Next I always disabled this key.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Heh, last word in last minute.
But yes, your inp can, should, must be accepted. Why? Because even if delay was set, speed was 100% still. 95% is accepted. If we change delay for very high speed is changed too and is low. On my Celeron 1Ghz and delay 5000 I have 48% speed.
Then it's good news for you ;)
I'm for accepting your score :D

I'm not coordinator. I notice it only. I only say that for me it's fine ;)
Udirnel
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Udirnel »

destructor wrote:Change value to 5000 you will see. Maybe mahlemiut add more info.

With value 130 is hard to see it. But if you play a lot on normal setting and next on delay 130 you will see it especially in space levels.

In older versions MAME it name was overclocking and was available when you press ` key.

PS. On olders MAME versions I often pressed this key by mistake (I have W key for shoot). Inps was incorrect then. Next I always disabled this key.
Des,

Reading your posts, I've been performing some tests.

First I've played with value 5000. Reminds me old computers playing new mame drivers with a high frameskip. I robot is an old game and has not big hardware requirements.

After that, I erased irobot.cfg and played to level 6. The speed was identical (to my eyes) to the speed of the inp I sent, and so to the many games I played before. Btw, I checked the irobot.cfg file and the "clock" line doesn't appear.

Erased irobot.cfg and played again. Same results and the "clock" line missing again.

Finally I erased irobot.cfg file, started a new game, completed 1st level and timed first space wave. I kept pressed Ctrl key (Fire) during all space wave. Crossed it. Result: 18 seconds. Btw, "clock" line didn't appear in the new irobot.cfg file.

Then escaped from the game. Copied into the cfg folder the irobot.cfg file from the file I uploaded to the forum. Started a new game and reached 1st space wave. Timed again with fire key pressed. Result: 18 seconds.

As I told you, I see no difference with or without it.

Udirnel
MJS
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by MJS »

Sorry Udirnel but it looks like you've accidentally changed the game's cpu frequency! :cry:

We know you didn't do this on purpose because if you would have been trying to take advantage out of this you would have underclocked the cpu, but instead you overclocked it to 130%.
So if there's any difference in speed, I presume your settings would make the game run faster!

Despite all that, it wouldn't be fair for the rest of the players if we accepted your recording, would it?

Hope you understand.
Udirnel
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Udirnel »

MJS wrote:Sorry Udirnel but it looks like you've accidentally changed the game's cpu frequency! :cry:
Just for knowing it: Does anyone know how to change this value beside editing the cfg file?
MJS wrote:We know you didn't do this on purpose because if you would have been trying to take advantage out of this you would have underclocked the cpu, but instead you overclocked it to 130%.
Great. My inp is 30% harder than the rest :?
MJS wrote:So if there's any difference in speed, I presume your settings would make the game run faster!
Don't know if you have read my last post (exactly the one that is above your post). I can't see any difference in speed (so it wasn't harder at all :oops: )
MJS wrote:Despite all that, it wouldn't be fair for the rest of the players if we accepted your recording, would it?
Why? You could say that if my game were recorded with easier settings than the rest of the players, but this is not the case. All the oposite in any case.
MJS wrote:Hope you understand.
Better don't ask.

Udirnel
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

Warp discussion, some questions :
1- what are those combos you're talking about (except 1+2 for warp level 10) ; for example how you get level 14 ?
2-if you enter transporter on level 3 for example, can you only go to level 5 (maximum 2 levels Des said) ?
3-if you enter transporter after level 1, do you get same bonus as from level 1 ?
(too lazy to make the test myself)
4-transporter can only be used once a game, right ?
MJS
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by MJS »

Udirnel wrote:Just for knowing it: Does anyone know how to change this value beside editing the cfg file?
It's in the ~ menu... but it only appears with cheats enabled.
Udirnel wrote:Great. My inp is 30% harder than the rest :?
No, your inp was played with the CPU running at 130% speed.
Udirnel wrote:Don't know if you have read my last post (exactly the one that is above your post). I can't see any difference in speed (so it wasn't harder at all :oops: )
Yes, I read it and I beleive you that there is no noticeable difference in speed, but we don't know what else may change in the game if you overclock the cpu... what if the enemy AI changes? I don't know... I am just trying to say that you didn't play I, Robot as the rest of the people.
Udirnel wrote:You could say that if my game were recorded with easier settings than the rest of the players, but this is not the case. All the oposite in any case.
As I said, we don't know what is the behavior of the game if you overclock the cpu. Sorry but that's how I see it.

Lesson of the day:
It's bad to wait until the last minute to submit.
Udirnel
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Udirnel »

MJS wrote:but we don't know what else may change in the game if you overclock the cpu...
Sure. And I don't know what changes if your computer's CPU is faster than mine, if you have more memory than me, if you have a heavy background process while playing... that's one of the reasons of checking the inp files, to see if conditions are the same for the players. If you see any difference between the behaviour of my game and the rest, please, let me know.
MJS wrote:what if the enemy AI changes? I don't know...
AI? in 1983? :roll: well, eerrr, how could I explain? There was no... no, no, no... let's try other softer way to say it... mmm... 8) now serious, it's fairly clear no enemy in I,Robot uses it. Their behaviour is fixed or random, and random is random for everyone.
MJS wrote:Sorry but that's how I see it.
Well, there's not much to say about that. We have simply different points of view, but in this matter your opinion decides and mine not.
MJS wrote:Lesson of the day:
It's bad to wait until the last minute to submit.
Ahí le diste, viejo. ¡La concha de la madre del MAME! (Esto no suena feo en España), :wink: pero tambien te digo que la partida que me clasificaba la conseguí 15 minutos antes de que terminase el plazo.

Lesson for tomorrow:
Following the rules not always suffices.
MJS
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by MJS »

Udirnel wrote:Ahí le diste, viejo. ¡La concha de la madre del MAME! (Esto no suena feo en España), :wink: pero tambien te digo que la partida que me clasificaba la conseguí 15 minutos antes de que terminase el plazo.
Te creo... que mala leche!!! :cry:
De vuelta, espero que entiendas la decisión que tomamos... pensá que si no quedabas vos afuera iba a quedar otro y tampoco creo que le hubiera hecho mucha gracia a él.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

I'm sorry about this Udirnel, really I am. But needing a special .cfg file to playback a recording is comparable to needing an .nv file instead, and we DQ for that (or a memcard file for Neo-Geo games, which happened in the qualifying round).

I know you were not trying to "hide" anything, but this is why it's encouraged to not wait until the last minute to upload something. Seeing how this problem was discovered in less than 24 hours, we might've been able to pinpoint the cause if you had uploaded one of your lower scores earlier. We're sorry, but if the recording needs special included non-default files to playback, we can't accept it. :(
Udirnel
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Udirnel »

Ok, guys. Don't worry anymore. As I wrote before, I assume I'm out. But please, write in the scoring table I was DQ'd and, if possible, my real score.

And I repeat, good luck for the rest of the players.

Udirnel
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

okay, made that change in the final scores then. (hope you're not offended that you're at the end of the list, but I keep the names in alphabetical order on ties :P)
Udirnel
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Udirnel »

BBH wrote:okay, made that change in the final scores then.
Thanks BBH.
BBH wrote:(hope you're not offended that you're at the end of the list, but I keep the names in alphabetical order on ties :P)
Don't worry, no offense (Next time I'll choose some nick like "Aaargh" to avoid this) :wink:

Btw, is there any way to delete the entry in MARP? Better having nothing than that...

Udirnel