K5 Round 3 - I, Robot (Elimination)

Discussion about the MAME Championships
http://sawys.ifrance.com/K7.htm

Moderator: Knockout Coordinators

mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

With demo mode on, you don't need to press any key combination to get to 79.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

yeah, I just tested and saw that myself.

I also see pressing certain combo keys sets the level timer to 9999 etc. as well. I did not experiment beyond that.

I also noticed the TG arcade track shows demo mode as ON.

It seems it clearly needs to be off.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

okay, two issues before I post the final scores:

The saru3000 leeching - apparently NotMan strongly feels that this recording should be DQ'ed for the leeching, but I disagree. There is no way to do it infinitely, as not enough points are being earned to get another extra life out of it... but it can still give a severe advantage score-wise if done properly. I'd say to let it slide since we didn't have time to reach a ruling on it before the end of the round, so it's not entirely fair to decide it's illegal leeching after it's too late.. And at the very least, he did attempt to make progress in the game after using two lives on this tactic (and gaining back one). I don't know if this tactic should be banned for regular MARP play, but for this instance it'll be allowed.

Udirnel - nobody can play back your recording. We're not sure what happened to cause everything to go haywire at the start, as this didn't happen to any of the other players. We might've been able to figure out what went wrong if you'd uploaded another score sooner (and of course had a second recording to fall back on), but... if none of the coordinators can playback your recording (and it doesn't seem like anyone in #marp could even get it to playback either), then... sorry :(

Anyway, here are the final scores:

Code: Select all

01. destructor@HotTeam.pl     159,639
02. saru3000                  157,290
03. Nanni                     148,934
04. Phil Lamat                148,481
05. RAX@AIVA                  148,445
06. The Pro                   145,618
07. zylquin                   139,620
08. TRB_MetroidTeam           138,592
09. Jason Dyer                137,041
10. JYD@jvrm.net              135,842
11. gastrainga                133,414
12. pat33999                  131,221
13. sikraiken                 130,890
14. BDFil                     130,261
15. mahlemiut                 119,085
16. Abbe                      109,332
-----------------------------------
17. Gerhard Schindler          98,148
18. Metrackle                  91,746
19. IB_Angelo__              No Score
19. LeClaqueurFou@jvrm. net  No Score
19. MORENO@TeamBrazil        No Score
19. Sampras@AIVA             No Score
19. TJT                      No Score, but some rad Doodle City patterns
19. Udirnel                  119,505 (DQ'ed for .cfg file problem)

And then of course, the final seedings for the top 16:

Code: Select all

01. destructor@HotTeam.pl
02. JYD@jvrm.net
03. saru3000
04. RAX@AIVA
05. Nanni
06. TRB_MetroidTeam
07. The Pro
08. sikraiken
09. gastrainga
10. Phil Lamat
11. pat33999
12. Jason Dyer
13. zylquin
14. Abbe
15. mahlemiut
16. BDF
Note: We had two ties in points, between The Pro/sikraiken and Jason Dyer/zylquin. Martin and Jason both had the higher scores respectively in the qualifying round, so they get the higher seed.

And then of course the matchups for the next round (I'll add the names into an actual bracket picture later):

destructor@Hotteam.pl (1)
vs.
BDF (16)

sikraiken (8)
vs.
gastrainga (9)

Nanni (5)
vs.
Jason Dyer (12)

RAX@AIVA (4)
vs.
zylquin (13)

saru3000 (3)
vs.
Abbe (14)

TRB_MetroidTeam (6)
vs.
pat33999 (11)

The Pro (7)
vs.
Phil Lamat (10)

JYD@jvrm.net (2)
vs.
mahlemiut (15)

Congratulations to the final 16, and good luck tomorrow :)
Last edited by BBH on Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by RAX »

I think seed table is incorrect.
My seed is too good, (Damn, I could shut up :P )
please verify if my calculation are right, I think the table shoud be this
1 - destructor@HotTeam.pl - 5
2 - JYD@jvrm.net - 24
3 - Saru3000 - 28
4 - RAX@AIVA - 31
5 - Nanni - 40
6 - TRB_MetroidTeam - 41
8 - The Pro - 44
7 - Sikraiken - 44
9 - Gastrainga - 45
10 - Phil Lamat - 47
11 - Pat33999 - 48
12 - Jason Dyer - 53
13 - Zylquin - 53
14 - Abbe - 54
15 - Mahlemiut - 57
16 - BDF - 71
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

haha, I had just double-checked all the points again and realized the error (added one number twice for some reason), and was just coming back to edit my post and hope nobody else had noticed... fat chance of that happening with all the stuff that's gone wrong with this tournament. :P

corrected. and yes, those point totals are correct.

my apologies for screwing up yet again. I swear I'm not doing this on purpose. :(
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Blah, no Metrackle in head to head rounds 8O
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

I updated special rules as:
MAME version 0.36 or later must be used.<br>
No warping higher than level 5.
Seems suitable.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

The TJT wrote:I updated special rules as:
MAME version 0.36 or later must be used.<br>
No warping higher than level 5.
Seems suitable.
Then I can't keep teleporter for later levels?
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

destructor wrote: Then I can't keep teleporter for later levels?
Ummm, what? :)
You can not warp to higher level than 5, exactly like in this competition. If you accidentally enter teleporter at later levels, just choose current level.

Seems fair to me, solves all possible warping problems(warping to level 14/79 etc).
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Teleporter is available on almost every level until you enter to it. For example you can don't enter to teleporter until level 13. You can enter to teleporter on level 13 to skip this level because this level can be too hard for you. On later levels you can jump by one or two levels only.
I totally disagre that we must choose the same level if you enter to teleporter on later levels. You can't jump by more than 2 levels.
Rule can be simple -> Don't use any key combinations when you enter to teleporter.
Udirnel
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Udirnel »

Sorry for not answering before. I need some time to sleep, you know :P

I catched the rat... :x
BBH wrote:Udirnel - nobody can play back your recording.
Yep, that's the fact. Curiosly, I can neither play all the other players recordings. Since it appeared an screen with something related to a joystick calibration, I supposed you all played in machines or with joysticks while I've played all the games in the computer with the keyboard.
BBH wrote:We're not sure what happened to cause everything to go haywire at the start, as this didn't happen to any of the other players.
After reading your messages I tried to find an explanation for the issue, and finally I found it. It's a cursed irobot.cfg file that self-generated in the cfg folder. If I remove it from the cfg folder, then all of the other players recording shows with no problem while mine can't be reproduced. I include the irobot.cfg file in this upload so you won't have any problem for checking it.
BBH wrote:We might've been able to figure out what went wrong if you'd uploaded another score sooner (and of course had a second recording to fall back on)
I'm afraid all my recordings suffered from the same plague, so they wouldn't have help me at all. Of course I could have been warned by you of the issue, but I didn't start to achieve worthy scorings until the last 3 days, so I decided not to send one until necessary.
BBH wrote:but... if none of the coordinators can playback your recording (and it doesn't seem like anyone in #marp could even get it to playback either), then... sorry :(
Yes that's the way it is :( . I achieved the merits, did it on time, did it on the correct speed, using no cheats and all in a clean competition and finally it was for nothing good. Fairly or unfairly (don't ask me :? ) I guess I'm out. Little more can be done. As I usually do in these cases, I'll bless God and keep on marching forward.

Three last things:

1st - Please, in future editions give some opportunity to people with technical problems like mine to "defend" theirselves. There is one day between one round and the next, so I think it wouldn't be a big problem for the organization.

2nd - Another favor: Don't say in the scoring tables "19. Udirnel No Score " because that was not true. My final, and I think valid, score was 119,505. So, please, put it in the scoring table and, as far as I've been DQ'd anyway, write it beside some disqualifying reason of your choice.

3rd - To BBH, NotMan and MJS (If I forget any of the organizators, sorry and please, feel included in this) a big and sincere (and i mean sincere) THANK YOU guys. Thanks for sharing your time and resources with us all so we can participate in such a exciting competition. Thanks for being answering with every question, complain, observation, etc. made during the competition. Thanks for warning the players about necessary matters. In short, thanks for your work.

Sorry if some of my words sounds too rough. I'm upset.

Good luck to the rest of the players.

Udirnel

P.S. Does anyone of you know why or how in the world that dirty cfg file was generated?
Attachments
irobot_119505.zip
(81.28 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Des: I see. If you wanted to skip something, then 25 would be the one to avoid.
Your rule would work for skip to 14 but not 79? What others think about warping rules?
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

The TJT wrote:Your rule would work for skip to 14 but not 79? What others think about warping rules?
My rule will work fine. If you enter to teleporter with no special key combinations then no special long warps will be possible. Normal play. Teleporter is part of this game, we can't disallow to use them on later levels. It is not easy to keep teleporter until later levels.
Try it. Enable infinite lives, don't enter to teleporter until for exmaple level 19 and on level 19 enter to teleporter. You will see that you can't jump more than to 20 or 21 level.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

udirnel wrote:I tried to find an explanation for the issue, and finally I found it. It's a cursed irobot.cfg file that self-generated in the cfg folder.
Yep. Plays to 119,505 with the corrupted file present.

Or perhaps it just saved a settings change that affects playback, and isn't really corrupted. MAME may have generated this file correctly for all I know.
John Cunningham (JTC)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Udirnel should be qualified I think.