Discussion about the MAME Championships
http://sawys.ifrance.com/K7.htm

Moderator: Knockout Coordinators

The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Question:

How come some of you can avoid tetras(triangular shaped) in the head wave, what's the trick???
If they fly by me, they'll home in and and zap my metal butt...

Jason flew by them even in the space(not head) wave.
Metrackle
Mutant Puzzle Freak

Post by Metrackle »

lol, screw this pre-1985 Atari fatty game :P
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

The TJT wrote:Question:

How come some of you can avoid tetras(triangular shaped) in the head wave, what's the trick???
If they fly by me, they'll home in and and zap my metal butt...

Jason flew by them even in the space(not head) wave.
I have yet to see a tetra "home in" on someone... I'd presume you just missed a spike.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
saru3000
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by saru3000 »

The tetras will start to home in on you at around lvl 11 or 12 but before that it's probably just a spike as mahlemiut said.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Ah, that must be it. Tetras don't home in in early levels. I was playing with infinite lives to see what happens in the later levels and if there are 99 levels as someone claimed. I got to the 5th round, to level 110.
At round2, level 27 you start to get those awfully annoying "viewer killers". What happens at later rounds, is that the colors change each new full round(26 levels), enemies get faster and there are more of them...for example saws with birds + balls, mixed with viewer killers. Head spins faster, shoots faster etc. Bonus stages are utterly impossible.

I was thinking of totally pawning this game. But it seems that it would take more time than just a few days...Now I realize my practice method has been all wrong, can not play early levels well and definitely not later levels.
Level 25 seems to be the killer level...that is if someone gets there first.

Here's a pic of level 110 with it's odd colours:
Attachments
5thround.jpg
5thround.jpg (27.06 KiB) Viewed 7327 times
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

I've just received this information forwarded to me by TG's Robert Mruczek, about TG arcade record of 1,383,959 by Dave Ryan:
Robert,

You may disseminate this information as needed:

The "I, Robot" world record was achieved by David Ryan in June 1986, during the 1986 Video Game Master's Tournament, hosted in more than 100 Aladdin's Castles arcades across America. The results of this event were submitted to the 1987 Guinness Book of World Records.

Dave Ryan, of Little Rock, the I, Robot champion, died Jan. 4, 1992.
This means he is not available to comment on his record. We have been actively researching these circumstances for the last three months and have even been mentioned in the Little Rock Democrat-Gazette in regards to Ryan's demise.

The 1986 Video Game Master's Tournament was managed by members of the U.S. National Video Game Team. They required the management of each Aladdin's Castle to verify the high-score results and submit them to team headquarters.

Since evidence is mounting that the score achieved by David Ryan may have been a multi-credit accomplishment, we can consider listing the score under a "multi-credit" category and freeze the category, and then require all future scores to be verified as "one-credit" scores.

However, my recommendations must be approved by the Twin Galaxies Board of Referees before acted upon.

Regards,

--
Walter Day
President Twin Galaxies
Last edited by The TJT on Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Also, at MARP Barry has deleted old inps with wrong emulation and I've updated special rules. I did not mention anything about warping, so by these rules it would be allowed to warp higher than level 5 after the tournament.

Thanks.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Will someone tell me more on this warp bug... it seems to me to not happen in even 0.36. 0.36b11 it happens for sure, but it's fine in 0.36, 0.70, 0.80, 0.90. Are there any other emulation-related issues other than the warp-to-79 bug?
- Barry Rodewald
RJM
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by RJM »

TG's Robert Mruczek(RJM)
Just for the record Tommi:

Robert Mruczek is RTM not RJM

Cheers

Rob (RJM)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Ooops, my bad Mr. Macauley. :)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

The TJT wrote:Des, I tried using analog joypad...actually a hacked SW yoke. I found Hotrod joystick to be better. Assumably, if your robot can move slower of faster depending how "far" you point the joystick...Then analog would be more appropriate for moving one square distances, as you said. Moving square distances is quite important imo. Then again, minus would be possible lag in the movement with analog stick, which I have experienced sometimes using mame and PC.
Hm...I think more training is required. In U360 I have very long throw on stick. And yes, in some places (on ground stages) digital joystick is better, on others analog. But in space stages digital have no chances with analog joystick with long throw. I can very precisely control Robot in space with U360 using long throw mode. For sure I will stay with analog joystick until end of this round,

PS. For me this game is crap.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Ok, I see no reason to not allow 0.36 or later for this game in regulation play. There are no major emulation issues at all, although you don't really want to be trying to use the keyboard for this game on such an old version of MAME. (Use a proper analog stick or upgrade to a more recent version). The few changes to the driver since then should a little to no impact on gameplay.
- Barry Rodewald
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

Yes, mahlemiut! It is possible to get 1337 on first stage. :P

NotMan
Attachments
irobot.png
irobot.png (2.92 KiB) Viewed 7158 times
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

NotMan wrote:Yes, mahlemiut! It is possible to get 1337 on first stage. :P

NotMan
Hehe, interesting how?

PS. 2350 is possible too ;)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: K5 Round 3 - I, Robot (Elimination)

Post by destructor »

BBH wrote:There is a pretty good website with more information about the game here:

http://www.ionpool.net/arcade/irobot/anderson/
We can read:
The transporter at level 1. The Transporter also appears on Level 3 only if you do not transport from level 1.
Transporter is also on level 4 and you can jump to level 6.

EDIT
I see that transporters are on later levels too.
Last edited by destructor on Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.