Golden Era Game of the Week
http://www.gegotw.net/

Moderators: Marco Marocco, Weehawk

BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: GEGOTW 2012 - GAME 1: KUNG FU MASTER

Post by BeeJay »

Chad wrote:WindowsExplorer->Tools->FolderOptions->ViewTab then fine the "Hide Extensions for known file types" and un checkit, of course this will be in a different place in windows7.
Nope, it's still in exactly the same place in Windows 7, although you do have to press and release the Alt key on the keyboard before the Windows 7 version of Windows Explorer will show you the menus from which you can then click on the Tools menu to get to the Folder Options menu. Every time I get a new machine at work that's always one of my first steps. I really don't understand why M$ feel the need to hide the extensions from users?!?

Cheers,
BeeJay.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

Kernzy,

The following instructions try to assume very little knowledge of computers, but it does assume you know how use Windows Explorer to navigate to your e:\Mames folder, create a new folder, copy files from your downloads directory, and how to move files with Windows Explorer.

Note: Wherever I refer to wolfmame-0108.exe or alp_kungfum_786540_wolf108.zip or Playback.bat etc below, if your Windows Explorer still has the option set to hide extensions for known file types then the .exe or .zip or .bat etc part of the filenames may not be displayed. If the rest of the filename matches, you can assume you're copying or double clicking or right clicking on the appropriate file.

1. To avoid any possible contamination from your previous attempts, use Windows Explorer to create a brand new folder called Wolf108 in your e:\Mames folder.

2. Again, to avoid any possible contamination from your previous attempts, click on each of the following two hyperlinks to download fresh copies of WolfMame108 and the Kungfu Master recording from Alpha.

http://wolfmame.marpirc.net/wolfmame-0108.exe
http://replay.marpirc.net/inp/1/1/0/alp ... olf108.zip

3. Once the downloads have finished, copy the two files wolfmame-0108.exe and alp_kungfum_786540_wolf108.zip from your downloads directory to the e:\Mames\Wolf108 folder you created in Step 1.

4. Double click on the wolfmame-0108.exe application file.

5. If an Open File - Security Warning dialog is displayed, click the Run button to continue.

6. The 7-zip self-extracting archive dialog will now display with Extract to prefilled with e:\Mames\Wolf108. Click the Extract button to continue.

7. You should now find that you have 1 new folder, called docs, and 11 other new files in your e:\Mames\Wolf108 folder in addition to the wolfmame-0108.exe and alp_kungfum_786540_wolf108.zip files that you copied from your downloads folder at step 3.

8. Create a new folder called roms in your e:\Mames\Wolf108 folder

9. Copy the kungfum.zip file from the roms folder of your existing WolfMame106\roms folder to the new e:\Mames\Wolf108\roms folder.

10. Create a new folder called inp in your e:\Mames\Wolf108 folder

11. Move the alp_kungfum_786540_wolf108.zip file from your e:\Mames\Wolf108 folder to the new e:\Mames\Wolf108\inp folder

12. Double click on the alp_kungfum_786540_wolf108.zip file. A new window should open up showing you the contents of this zipfile. Make sure the new window and the Windows Explorer window where you double clicked on the alp_kungfum_786540_wolf108.zip file are positioned so that you can easily see the white space area below the alp_kungfum_786540_wolf108.zip file.

13. There are two files in this zipfile. Move your mouse over top of the file called kungfum_wolf108_786540.inp, then click and hold down your left mouse button and the background colour of that entry should change to blue. With the mouse button still held down, drag the mouse so that it is over the white space area below the alp_kungfum_786540_wolf108.zip file in the Windows Explorer window. The mouse cursor should change to also have a box with a + symbol below the arrow. Release the mouse button at this point.

14. You should now have two files in your e:\Mames\Wolf108\inp folder. The original alp_kungfum_786540_wolf108.zip file and the kungfum_wolf108_786540.inp file we just extracted from the zip file.

15. To save some typing later, move the mouse over top of the kungfum_wolf108_786540.inp file, click the right mouse button. On the context menu that will popup, click the rename option. Rename the file to kungfum.inp instead of kungfum_wolf108_786540.inp and then press enter on the keyboard to save your changes.

15. Navigate back to the e:\Mames\Wolf108 folder in windows explorer.

16. Move the mouse over top of the mame.exe application, or just mame application if your windows explorer is still hiding file extensions, click the right mouse button. On the context menu that will popup, click the Create Shortcut option.

17. You should now have a new mame - Shortcut entry in the list of files. Move the mouse over top of the mame - Shortcut entry and click the right mouse button. On the context menu that will popup, click the Properties option.

18. You'll now have the mame - Shortcut Properties dialog displayed. The focus will be on the Target textbox, with all the text e:\Mames\Wolf108\mame.exe highlighted in blue. Press the right arrow key on your keyboard. The blue highlight should disappear and the carat should be flashing just to the right of the last 'e' of the text.

19. Type a space character, and then type -cc

20. The target textbox should now contain the following: e:\Mames\Wolf108\mame.exe -cc

21. Click the ok button to close the properties dialog, and the double click on the mame - Shortcut entry to run mame with the -cc setting. The black command prompt window will briefly flash up and you should then find that a new mame.ini configuration file has been created, or just mame configuration if you're still hiding known file extensions.

22. Ok, mame is now ready to roll, we have the inp file in the appropriate place, and we're ready to create a shortcut to playback the recording. Move your mouse over top of the playback.bat Windows batch file entry, it will just be called playback if you're still hiding file extensions. Click the right mouse button and choose the Create Shortcut option. You'll now have a new playback - Shortcut entry in the list.

23. Move the mouse over top of the playback - Shortcut entry. Click the right mouse button and choose Rename from the context menu. Name the file say Wolf108 Playback and then press enter.

24. Move the mouse over top of the renamed Wolf108 Playback entry. Click the right mouse button and choose Properties from the context menu. You'll now have the Wolf108 Playback Properties dialog displayed. Once again, the Target textbox will have focus and all the text will be selected in blue. Press the right arrow key on your keyboard. The blue highlight should disappear and the carat should be flashing just to the right of the last 't' of the text.

25. Now type a space character, followed by the following text: kungfum kungfum

26. The Target textbox should now contain the following: e:\Mames\Wolf108\playback.bat kungfum kungfum

27. Click the OK button to save your changes.

28. Now double click the Wolf108 Playback entry. It should open the black command dialog and shortly thereafter the usual mame screen waiting for you to press OK should be displayed.

When you want to playback a different game, be sure to put the inp file into the appropriate directory, rename it to the same name as the game name to save some typing, then adjust the Target details on the properties dialog for the Wolf108 Playback to reflect the different game name. eg: If you had a galaga.inp file that you wanted to playback, then the Target for the Wolf108 Playback Properties would contain the following:

e:\Mames\Wolf108\playback.bat galaga galaga

Just be sure of course to copy the galaga.zip file from your WolfMame106\roms folder to the Wolf108\roms folder.

I hope these instructions that are totally devoid of having to go anywhere near Command prompts helps you to get the Commandline only version of Wolf108 working. If any of it was way too basic for you, please accept my apologies in advance. I wanted to make sure these instructions were as complete as possible. :)

Note: It is possible to have your Wolf108 system read the roms from the same location as your WolfMame106, which is what the others were trying to talk you through, but I was trying to keep it easier for now. Once you have this running and working, let me know and I'll try to create similar level of instructions for doing that change, to save you having to copy the roms each time you want to playback another recording. :)

Cheers,
BeeJay.
Last edited by BeeJay on Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

jesus christchurch!!!
thats a hell of a walkthrough brian!! it is 3 am, i am very drunk and will look at this tomorrow.
you guys are ubelievable.
i'm more grateful than you know. although speed reading your instructions while drunk seems unfathomable!! lol!!!
i need some sleep.
thanks to everyone.
this is my everest!!!!!!
and i want to climb like a scared monkey!!!!
lol!
soon, chaps, soon...
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

It might seem like a lot the way I wrote it, but that's because I explicitly telling you each step along the way. It's not really as complicated as my 28 step walk-through would suggest, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible for a non-computer type person and I wasn't totally sure how low level to pitch some of the instructions. :)

Cheers,
BeeJay.
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

hi mate,
i have done everything you have said!!
all fresh files are present, everything is where you said it should be.
"28. Now double click the Wolf108 Playback entry. It should open the black command dialog and shortly thereafter the usual mame screen waiting for you to press OK should be displayed."
when i double click, the black box appears and disappears, and then nothing happens.
in the black dialogue box it says "the system cannot find the file specified"
i don't want to mess with it, so i will wait until you see this message.
thank you soooooooooo much for all your help, not just you, but everyone who has advised me. i asked a few individuals for advice and none of them got back to me. now i know why!!!
you all feel like great mates to have.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
be lucky, talk soon.
paul.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

You will get messages from the Playback.bat file saying "the system cannot find the file specified" if there's no cgf, nvram, etc files for the game in question when it tries to temporarily rename them for the duration of the playback process. This will be the case here where you've never played the game from this folder. We need to see some more details about why the playback is failing to launch, so we'll add a "pause" statement to the end of the playback.bat file so any other messages that may be logged will still be on screen for you to read. Please try the following:

1. Open a Windows Explorer and navigate to the e:\Mames\Wolf108 folder.

2. Move the mouse over the Playback.bat file, or just Playback if you're still hiding file extensions. Click the right mouse button. On the context menu that will popup, choose the Edit option. You should now see the contents of the playback.bat file in notepad.

3. Move the mouse to just under the last line of text and click the left mouse button to move the caret to the line just under the line containing: move diff\%1.bak diff\%1.dif

4. Press enter and then type the following: pause

5. Click the big red 'X' on the upper right corner of the Notepad window to close the Notepad application and click Save when asked if you want to save the changes.

6. Now double click on the Woulf108 Playback entry.

This time, the black command window will stay open after it fails the playback, and you should then be able to see all the error messages that were logged during the playback attempt. Let us know what errors are displayed, preferably copy and paste all the errors from the command Window into another posting. You can copy the text from the command window as follows:

7. Click on the little black icon on the upper left of the command window, just to the left of the caption Wolf108 Playback. On the menu that pops up, move you mouse over the Edit option so that the child menus for the edit menu popup and choose the Mark option.

8. Now move the mouse over the first character of the white text in the command window, hold down the left mouse button and then drag out until the white selection area covers all the text in the command window and then release the left mouse button.

9. Click on the little black icon on the upper left of the command window again. On the menu that pops up, move you mouse over the Edit option so that the child menus for the edit menu popup and choose the copy option.

You should then be able to paste the copied text into another posting on this forum.

Cheers,
BeeJay.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

Thanks Beejay, it's 24 marp support! :)
-skito
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

BAHAHAHAAA!!!
honestly, i swear on my daughters eyes, i was waiting for someone to say that, so much so i nearly typed it myself the other day.
"grab the mouse with your good hand, point the pointy thing to the big red box and click on the x with your good hand's index finger"!!!! :lol:
if i did not want to watch the older inp's, i would take that as an insult!! loool!!!
these instructions are very detailed, and have never seen as good a set on the internet, and believe me, i have trawled like a fisherman to find some.
this should be preserved in another thread for other noobs to follow. the amount of help you guys offer makes me feel like i'm the first to ever ask. i only hope i can return the favour somehow. (obviously, not on marp!!!) ha!
i will follow these new instructions and get back to you soon.
i can't thank you enough.
cheers,
paul.
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

ok, all done!!
here's what i can see...

The system cannot find the file specified.
Fatal error: Failed to open file for playback (src/windows/config.c:773)
Press any key to continue . . .

i must stress, that before i copied the text, there were only the top 4 lines of text. from "fatal error" onwards appeared after i executed your recent instructions. hope this helps!!!
cheers mate,
paul.
DaLar
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by DaLar »

..Or you maybe can use the batch-file provided within Alpha's ZIP-file...
Contents of batch-file (kungfum_wolf108_786540_playback.bat)..:

cd..
del nvram\kungfum.nv
wolf108 kungfum -playback kungfum_wolf108_786540 -window

And then change WOLF108 to the name of your Mame-executable,,
Mine is this:

cd..
del nvram\kungfum.nv
MAME kungfum -playback kungfum_wolf108_786540 -window

(Click the red "X" to save the changes... If you go to File-->Save (or Save As) it is "hard" to convince Notepad to save/make a batch-file.. or .ini)

Then doubleclick the newly edited file... (with the rom Kungfum.zip in a place where Mame can "see" it....)
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

thats all i need right now. "or do this"!!!
thanks dalar for your input. i will look back at your instructions later, but for now i will stick with beejay as he is putting in alot of effort for me, and anything which tangent's from his instructions will compound issues i already have, and possibly ruin his line of instruction.
thank you, nonetheless.
right now, i am ill, and Beejay is my doctor.
cheers bruv,
paul.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

kernzy wrote:Fatal error: Failed to open file for playback (src/windows/config.c:773)
This means that it couldn't find the .inp file. Please do the following:

1. Open the e:\Mames\Wolf108\inp folder in Windows explorer, move the mouse over the inp file you extracted and renamed earlier on, click the right mouse button and on the context menu that pops up click the Properties option.

2. The full name of this file will be in the first box on the Details tab of the properties dialog. Please move the mouse over this box, click the right mouse button and on the context menu that pops up click the Select all option.

3. Now the text should be all selected, so move the mouse over top of the selected text, click the right mouse button and on the context menu select the Copy option.

4. Start a new forum posting and paste the details you copied in step 3 above but don't submit just yet.

5. Now navigate your Windows Explorer to the e:\Mames\Wolf108 folder, move the mouse over the Wolf108 Playback entry, click the right mouse button and on the context menu that pops up click the Properties option.

6. The Target textbox should already have all the text highlighted. Move your mouse over top of the selected text in the Target textbox, click the right mouse button and select copy on the context menu.

7. Paste these details into the new forum posting you started earlier.

8. Now you can submit the new forum posting so that I can compare the details of the filename with the shortcut details.

Cheers,
BeeJay.
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

hi Brian,
thanks for your new prescription!
i will execute them now. it's 2.30 am, i have had a few tinnnies, and a few smokes, but i am here and ready!! lol!
make mine a scrumpy jack!!
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

ok,
i have trouble...
"2. The full name of this file will be in the first box on the Details tab of the properties dialog. Please move the mouse over this box, click the right mouse button and on the context menu that pops up click the Select all option."
when i do that, i do not have a box(s), i have a list, and i cannot right click any of them.
if i right click on the name in the general tab, "select all" is greyed out. i am on windows 7, incidentally...
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

I'll try not to be as insulting about your skill levels this time around. ;-)

Could you take a screen shot of the properties dialog for the .inp file and the properties dialog for the Wolf108 Playback file and then attach them to a posting?

If you don't know how to take screen shots, let me know...

Cheers,
BeeJay.