Capturek.PNG
Capturek.PNG (49 KiB) Viewed 21761 times
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: GEGOTW 2012 - GAME 1: KUNG FU MASTER

Post by BeeJay »

Paul,

Good, I would have been going to too low a level by telling you how to take a screenshot. :)

The problem is that the file inp file has the .inp extension in the filename twice and is therefore named: kungfum.inp.inp

You need to remove one of the .inp extensions from the file so that it is named kungfum.inp instead of kungfum.inp.inp and then it should be found by the playback process.

Can you try renaming the inp file, then check the properties dialog to make sure the name change has stuck correctly, and then try the Wolf108 Playback shortcut again and see what happens this time around.

Interestingly on my Windows7 machine the properties dialog has a TextBox on the details tab as per the following screenshot:
Properties #1.png
Properties #1.png (24.98 KiB) Viewed 21728 times
Then, when I right click on the TextBox at the top of the details tab, I get the Select All option that I was talking about.
Properties #2.png
Properties #2.png (32.22 KiB) Viewed 21728 times
I wonder what option, or similar, I have turned on on my Windows 7 installation to make that dialog different?

Cheers,
BeeJay.
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

hi Brian,
i have renamed the inp to kungfum.inp, it has stuck.
when i try the playback the cmd line box says "the system cannot find the file specified" x4
also, a windows error pos up saying "e:mames\wolf108\mame.exe is not a valid win32 application"
hope this helps!
cheers dude,
paul.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

Hm... can you take a screen dump of your e:\Mames\Wolf108 folder structure and also the properties dialog for the mame application entry in your e:\Mames\Wolf108 folder.

The 4x entries about files not found is not a problem, it just means you don't have any of the following files in your setup: kungfum.cfg, kungfum.hi, kungfum.nv or kungfum.dif file

The lack of these files is fine, they record.bat and playback.bat files simply renames these files, when they exist, before attempting the recording or playback process to ensure they don't interfere with the recording or playback.

Cheers,
BeeJay.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

Any chance an Admin User on these forums can split the conversation Paul and I have been having out into a new topic, since we've kind of inadvertently hi-jacked this topic.

Cheers,
BeeJay.
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

lol!
i have a thread called "mame troubleshooting" which has been inundated with help and advice. i'm sure you could squeeze it in there....!
Attachments
Capture108.PNG
Capture108.PNG (102.77 KiB) Viewed 21716 times
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

dialogue...
Attachments
Capturedialogue.PNG
Capturedialogue.PNG (29.83 KiB) Viewed 21715 times
Capturedetails.PNG
Capturedetails.PNG (27.84 KiB) Viewed 21715 times
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

Hmm...... the file says it is zero bytes in size on disk?!? It should be more like 33.4 MB... I suggest you extract the files from the wolfmame-0108.exe again, but to a temporary folder called say Wolf108Temp, and then copy the Mame application from the Wolf108Temp folder to your e:\Mames\Wolf108 folder to replace the 0 bytes file and then try the Wolf108 Playback shortcut again.

ie: Once you've double clicked on the wolfmame-0108.exe application in your e:\Mames\Wolf108 folder, and clicked run to any security warning that is displayed, change the suggested extract location by typing say Temp between the 8 and the \ character, as per the following screenshot:
7-Zip extract.png
7-Zip extract.png (10.64 KiB) Viewed 21707 times
Cheers,
BeeJay.
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

check out this short clip i made.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79u9Pa3xAHQ
you may have to copy and paste it...
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

I'll take it it now works then. :)

You should be able to follow similar steps to get other versions of Mame working as well when you need to, such as Wolf145 for GEGOTW games.

Cheers,
BeeJay.
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

geezer,
i can't thank you enough. you have amazing patience, and a great attitude.
i think the clip i made was quite fitting!! and funny. (i do love back to the future(s))!!
i have already tried to use another mame for another inp, and it failed! i won't bother you or anyone with questions about it, i will persevere and succeed.
some other mames after extraction do not have all the same files/folders 108 has, and unfortunately, theres not much to see on the 108 platform!! lol!
what do you say is the quickest, simplest way to run games/playbacks? the way you showed me, or by using cmd prompts? when i watch a new clip on 108 or another mame, i have to refer to your instructions again, as i've had both hands held through training, so i have not had to think for myself. but nevertheless, i am more grateful than you realise. i've waited for this for a couple of years now. i hit the ground crawling!!
after watching alpha's gameplay, felt like an anti-climax. i was expecting fireworks and magic!! nonetheless, his is the highest score on marp and deserves his no.1 position. what did he get? 7 dragons? thats the most i ever saw. unbelievable when you see he done no 2nd floor leeching. it opens up some questions i need answering. i hope he reads this and jumps in!! it's left me in a state of confusion, so much so like i need to rethink my entire game to beat my pb, as his game shows things i have never experienced before.
Beejay, whether you like it or not, your my new best bud!!!! lol!
whether you need it or not, i got your back, dude!!
a trillion thanks to you, the other advisors and to marp itself.
what a nice place to hang around.
be very lucky,
all the best,
paul.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

The Education of Kernzy Part II
You should be able to achieve the same thing through the command line. For your current setup, this is what I would do to achieve the desired result if it was me, using all my usual shortcut techniques to speed up the process. This assumes you have already unzipped the relevant Mame into a WolfNNN folder, where NNN is the version number, and you have put the inp and the rom files in the appropriate location. Any text with " characters around it are to indicate what I'd actually type excluding the actual " characters themselves, they're just to delimit the text I'd type from the rest of the words in the respective sentence.

Playback using Command Prompt
1. I'd press Windows+R on the keyboard to open the Run dialog, type "CMD" for the Program to run, assuming it hasn't remembered it from last time, then press the Enter key to launch the Command window.

2. I'd type "e:" and then press the Enter key to change to the e drive. (In my case it's actually on a different drive, but I'm writing these instructions to match your setup.)

3. I'd type "cd Mames\Wolf108" and then press the Enter key to change to the e:\Mames\Wolf108 folder or "cd mames\Wolf145" and then press Enter to change to the e:\Mames\Wolf145 folder, etc, etc

4. Then I'd type "playback <gamename> <inpname>"

Where <gamename> and <inpname> are the name of the game and the inp filename respectively. The chevrons, < and >, as with the " characters are not actually typed, they are just indicating a place for the relevant parameters to the playback batch file. For example, if the game I wanted to playback was kungfum and the person who submitted the recording had named their inp file kungfum_wolf108_786540.inp, as is the case with Alpha's recording, and I chose not to rename that inp file to kungfum.inp to save myself some typing, then my full command to playback the recording would be as follows:

"playback kungfum kungfum_wolf108_786540"

Now that you've had success getting the playback to work without using the command line, I suggest you try the above operation as it is a whole lot easier than mucking around with shortcuts once you're used to using the Command prompt.

Record using Command Prompt
Conversely, if you want to record you own new game, using say Wolf145, then the steps would be as follows assuming you have extracted the WolfMame-145.exe into e:\Mames\Wolf145 and have the roms setup appropriately:

1. I'd press Windows+R on the keyboard to open the Run dialog, type "CMD" for the Program to run, assuming it hasn't remembered it from last time, then press the Enter key to launch the Command window.

2. I'd type "e:" and then press the Enter key to change to the e drive.

3. I'd type "cd Mames\Wolf145" and then press the Enter key to change to the e:\Mames\Wolf145 folder

4. Then I'd type "record <gamename> <inpname>"

eg: At the moment I'm using the following several times an evening: "record elevator elevator"

Once the recording has finished, and assuming I made a better score, I'll do a test playback using "playback elevator elevator". Assuming that was ok, then I'll zip the files and then on the command prompt window I'll use the UpArrow or DownArrow keys to quickly get either the record or the playback command line back and press enter. Only once I'm finished for the evening will I close the command prompt window as repeatedly recording and playing back the same game is so much quicker and easier using UpArrow or DownArrow keys to get back to the prior record or playback command.

Once you're happy with this, let me know and I'll also tell you how you can get the mame application in e:\Mames\Wolf108 or e:\Mames\Wolf145 etc to find the roms in a common directory, assuming those roms haven't changed between versions of Mame, so you don't have to keep duplicating your rom files for each release of Mame. Again, this can be handled quite elegantly but we'll cover that in The Education of Kernzy Part III so that you're not feeling too overloaded in one go. ;)
kernzy
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by kernzy »

lol,
The Edumacation of Kernzy Part II.
sweet mate!
i'm having a go on elevator action. i'm rubbish!!
will pick this up maybe later....