Golden Era Game of the Week
http://www.gegotw.net/

Moderators: Marco Marocco, Weehawk

Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Gotta get rid of a few more shirts...

Post by Weehawk »

This week's "On Deck" game, Barrier, is simply a copy of a game which came before, a different type of game.

For the first person to post here a picture of the game in question I have a 2006 GEGOTW t-shirt:

ImageImage

I have no more Medium 2006's and I don't plan on ordering any more. If you insist on Medium, you can, if you like, substitute a 2005 in that size. Otherwise you are out of luck. On the other hand, if you choose Large or X-Large, I am going to throw in a 2005 of the same size whether you like it or not. If you already have one, give somebody else a chance.

Oh, and for the picture of the game...I am going to insist on the original version, not a later variation.
John Cunningham (JTC)
MJS
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by MJS »

Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

MJS wrote:Image
That's it.

I see you took a Medium in the 2005 shirt you won for correctly guessing which concept would be used for the 2006 logo. As I wrote in the original post, there are no more Medium 2006's. You want another 2005 Medium or any other 2006 size?
The game Barrier, manufactured just after the Vectorbeam buyout by Cinematronics, is also an interesting story. Barrier was a game designed at Cinematronics as an excercise for newly-hired programmer Rob Patton, and was initially named Blitz. Jim Pierce, co-owner of Cinematronics, came up with the gameplay idea, which was curiously identical to the handheld Mattel football electronic game which was very popular at the time. As Skelly remembers, "To make Jim happy, we put it out on test. It did very poorly, to put it nicely, and we stuffed it in the closet."

Bill Cravens, President of Vectorbeam, visited Cinematronics before the buyout, looking for something his company could build and and sell quickly. "Cinematronics sold him Blitz," Skelly says. "And we all laughed our asses off."

However, the laughter died abruptly, as this happened only a matter of weeks before the buyout of Vectorbeam by Cinematronics, which nobody at Cinematronics had apparently forseen. "When Cinematronics took over Vectorbeam they found themselves stuck in Vectorbeam’s position," says Skelly. "They had employees, an assembly line, and nothing to build. So--and here comes the irony--they were forced to endure the fate they had intended for their foes: they had to build Barrier."
John Cunningham (JTC)
MJS
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by MJS »

Weehawk wrote:I see you took a Medium in the 2005 shirt you won for correctly guessing which concept would be used for the 2006 logo. As I wrote in the original post, there are no more Medium 2006's. You want another 2005 Medium or any other 2006 size?
2006 Large, please.

I can also accept those Namco figures if you have an extra set! :lol:
Just kidding, much appreciated John.

Same address as before, thanks.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

MJS wrote:I can also accept those Namco figures if you have an extra set! :lol:
Well, so far you're one of two people eligible for them.

And of course if your lead on Eliminator holds up, you cay buy some yourself. They're on eBay pretty regularly.
John Cunningham (JTC)