Golden Era Game of the Week
http://www.gegotw.net/

Moderators: Marco Marocco, Weehawk

Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Scavenger Hunt

Post by Weehawk »

The challenge here is to discover a series of Golden Era arcade game titles from the clues given, one clue leading to the next.

For the first person to figure out every one and go all the way through to the end and post here as instructed in the final step, I have a 2006 Golden Era Game of the Week t-shirt:

ImageImage

If you are the first to finish and already have one, please do not post to the thread, but PM me. I will credit you in the thread and you will receive a 2005 shirt or a sweatshirt with the 2006 logo on front instead.

The first game to start our hunt was featured prominently on an album cover of one of the biggest British rock-n-roll bands of all time.

When you have determined the name of the game, you will find your next clue and instructions on how to proceed by going to the URL:

"http://www.gegotw.net/gamename.html"

where "gamename" is the name of the game, with no capital letters, spaces, or punctuation.

Players are encouraged to post their progress here, without giving away any game names or clues, of course. If I feel that progress is going too slowly, I may offer hints on clues that people have reported being stuck on.

Players are prohibited by honor from trying to determine the titles by any method other than the use of the clues given. (Like don't hack into my host admin control panel and go browsing through files, or write a program to try every file name permutation and check for content.)
John Cunningham (JTC)
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

British rock and roll, I don't think there's a subject I know less about. Some random searches brought me to an album called Computer Games by George Clinton. Cover kinda looked like a strange Star Castle but was too fuzzy. Spent about an hour finding images of increasing resolution to make out the small text. The all important text (or part of it) reads: Random Tart. Hmm, I am amused by the results of my efforts. Think I'll wait for the clue.
Abbe
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Abbe »

Got the first one but my brain is stubbornly refusing to name the next one.
-Abbe
sampras
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by sampras »

I'm on third but I haven't the film to find the solution :?
zylquin
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by zylquin »

Watching source for clue #3 tonight. Finally have a reason to see it for the first time.
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

Well! I guess anybody didn't guess who it was, but I'll give ya the answer.

Space Duel!

THE WHO!

"It Hard!" 1982 album.

Seen this album cover before. :)

NotMan
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

I'm up to #5.....

Or more accurately I'm stuck on #5 and the annoying thing is that picture is oh so familiar but I just can't place it yet..... :(

Great idea by the way.......
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

I'm stuck at #6.
RJM
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by RJM »

I knew The Who and number 2 but need to hire the movie to go any further. Remember the scene quite well except for the part that matters.

Cheers

Rob
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

NotMan wrote:Well! I guess anybody didn't guess who it was, but I'll give ya the answer.

Space Duel!

THE WHO!

"It Hard!" 1982 album.

Seen this album cover before. :)
Weehawk wrote:Players are encouraged to post their progress here, without giving away any game names or clues, of course.
Well, so much for #1. :roll:

For the benefit of those stuck on #3, I find at least two websites with sections dedicated to documenting the appearance of videogames in cinema. One mentions the game by name and another actually has a still photo with the machine in the background, though from that particular shot it might be awfully tough to identify it. I also see at least one other mention of this game's appearance in the film. Of course it's easier for me to Google knowing the title of the game, but the information is out there to be found.

For #5, how many Golden Era games were based on movies...not many. If you're familiar with the game, those villains should be pretty recognizable.

#6 is to be identified by a sound clip. Hard to know how to help with that one, but it is a classic, well-known game.
John Cunningham (JTC)
dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

#6 was very easy for me (yes, this could be considered a hint :))

#7 was not familiar to me, but two people have said that 100% it's a certain game, but it's not letting me past.
Well, so much for #1
I will admit that I needed this "clue" (ok, answer). I actually went through several web sites with album covers of British bands including the Who and still didn't see this one until taking a second, much closer look.
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

dbh wrote:#6 was very easy for me (yes, this could be considered a hint :))
Thanks for the hint, it should have been fairly easy for me too since I actually played the game a good bit in the arcade (although almost none in MAME). I'm miserable identifying sound clips though.

No idea on #7 though.

The Who and Ghostbuster answers I both found pretty quick through google.
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Valhalla. ;)
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

Darn..... finally got #5, now I need to wait until I'm back at work on a faster connection to download the wav file...... :(
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

sikraiken wrote:Valhalla. ;)
The last game title led to a page which instructed the participant to report back here to the thread and post that.
Weehawk wrote:If you are the first to finish and already have one, please do not post to the thread, but PM me.
So we're screwed.

The sad thing is, half the members here don't speak English as their first language, but it's the Americans who can't fucking read. :oops:

And for those wondering why Bubble Bobble doesn't work for #7, it came after the Golden Era. It did use the same sprite as the game in question, though.
John Cunningham (JTC)