See introduction here

The Game: Round-Up

romname: roundup

Screenshot:
ImageImage
(click to see current MARP scores)

Reward: $50 (usd)

Deadline for submission to MARP: October 21, 2005 2359 hours GMT

Further Bounty: $100 (usd) for exceeding 194,900 points by December 31, 2005. {EDIT - To be eligible for the further bounty you may not allow the bonus counter to reach 400. If it does so your game is considered ended there and your score at that point is final. }{EDIT - claimed by destructor 10/21/2005}

A maze game that I saw a lot in the arcades, but never played much. Requires too much patience.

While we're at it, let's take a crack at the Twin Galaxies record for the arcade machine, 194,900 points set in 1983 by Chris Peterson.

Use WolfMAME .100 or .101

"On Deck" game: Mr. F. Lea
Last edited by Weehawk on Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Sunday's "bouns" points to destructor.

I notice that des does not make any effort to change the colors of the grid in the center, which takes one to the bonus puzzle.

Not sure if this would be interpreted as violating MARP Rule 2h or not. ("...you must keep moving to complete a level.") The only place levels are demarked in the game in in the bonus levels, where you can solve the puzzle as many times as time allows you, and the times are numbered as levels.

I will allow it for GEGOTW. Any discussion of whether it is allowed for MARP regulation play will be moved to the Regulation Play forum.

And I'm just now noticing that "BONUS" is misspelled as "BOUNS" at the top of the screen.
John Cunningham (JTC)
dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

The only place levels are demarked in the game in in the bonus levels, where you can solve the puzzle as many times as time allows you, and the times are numbered as levels.
This is incorrect...in the maze part of the game the level is indicated by the green dots just above the "credit-00" indicator.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

dbh wrote:
The only place levels are demarked in the game in in the bonus levels, where you can solve the puzzle as many times as time allows you, and the times are numbered as levels.
This is incorrect...in the maze part of the game the level is indicated by the green dots just above the "credit-00" indicator.
Eh...I'm usually more careful than that.

I meant to say "The only place I see that the levels are demarked...".

God forbid they should use numbers or anything. :roll:
John Cunningham (JTC)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Weehawk wrote:I notice that des does not make any effort to change the colors of the grid in the center, which takes one to the bonus puzzle.

Not sure if this would be interpreted as violating MARP Rule 2h or not. ("...you must keep moving to complete a level.") The only place levels are demarked in the game in in the bonus levels, where you can solve the puzzle as many times as time allows you, and the times are numbered as levels.

I will allow it for GEGOTW. Any discussion of whether it is allowed for MARP regulation play will be moved to the Regulation Play forum.
I use the same method as player from 1st (currently 2nd) - GermanKrol.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Tuesday's bonus points to destructor

Also: since the further bounty was inspired by the TG record for the arcade machine, I will impose a restriction in keeping with their general policy regarding leeching/hunting/point-scrabbing.

You may NOT allow the bonus counter to decrement to 400 (it stops there) in a game to be eligible for the further bounty. If the counter gets down to 400, your game is considered ended. The original post will be edited to reflect this.

If I had seen this coming I would have used the same restriction for the weekly prize, but play how you like for it. Be aware also, I have no idea how MARP's administrators will address the situation, if at all, with regard to MARP regulation play.
John Cunningham (JTC)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Heh, my 4 days hard work for nothing :(
One moment ago I succesfully made score higher than 194k but I use German Krol method. I don't believe that TG score don't use this method. You know what I think about TG scores.
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by TRB_MetroidTeam »

destructor wrote:You know what I think about TG scores.
I don't know! What? Can you to summarize it?
Valter "TRB" - The Real Battle
Metroid Team, from Brazil
Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 world champions
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

destructor wrote:Heh, my 4 days hard work for nothing :(
One moment ago I succesfully made score higher than 194k but I use German Krol method. I don't believe that TG score don't use this method. You know what I think about TG scores.
Off Topic: I wonder what some people would say about referring to 4 days playing a video game as "hard work", but anyway...

Perhaps your efforts will serve to make your victory in the weekly competition more likely.

And I'm sorry I didn't see this coming like I did with "The Hand". Remember my announcement for it?
Also, it is possible to stay in a level killing enemies, instead of finishing it. This could be done forever for all I know. MARP Rule 2h will be adhered to most strictly. And don't anyone post asking "How many exactly can I kill before I have to finish the level?" If I think you are deliberately avoiding clearing the maze to kill more enemies I will announce that the recording is disqualified. Just don't do it. Period.
You're very well familiar with Rule 2h, it's come up over and over again with you. There's no way you could have not realized that this tactic would be questioned.

One of the TG guys will inquire about the score from 1983, in case anybody remembers anything.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

TRB_MetroidTeam wrote:
destructor wrote:You know what I think about TG scores.
I don't know! What? Can you to summarize it?
He doesn't trust scores listed by TG because they choose to keep secret the method of play, etc...
bmclean wrote:
LN2 wrote:Also, is there a way at MARP to submit an inp but not have it publically available?
No. MARP isn't for pussies too afraid to lose to show how they do anything.
John Cunningham (JTC)
welby1
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by welby1 »

tg doesn't hide the methods, but not everything is available for public review, plus older records were eyes only verification; exactly why they now require videotaping(usually there isn't a ref available). There is a lot of work and expense involved in transferring their video archives to computer database, but it is my understanding that they do want to do it someday???
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

welby1 wrote:tg doesn't hide the methods
I didn't say they hid them. I said they kept them secret. They don't reveal anything like that without the player's permission.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Thursday's bonus points to Don Hayes.

Can't decide if I think he's shrewd for waiting until 25 seconds were left so destructor couldn't respond, or foolish for giving away how close he is to the further bounty for a measly two bonus points.

Ah the drama...
John Cunningham (JTC)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

I watched Don's inp. I don't know why Don didn't beat 194900, this was very easy. On last stage where Don was dead he should only stay and take 'small robots', nothing more.

[EDIT]
Link to my further bounty inp:
http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/b/1/b/dt ... olf100.zip
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Results:
1st: destructor 144,040
2nd: Don Hayes 87,930

destructor takes first and 4 bonus points for a total of 14.

Don takes second and 2 bonus for 9.

5 points for third place go unclaimed.

http://www.gegotw.net/news.html
John Cunningham (JTC)