Golden Era Game of the Week

See introduction here

The Game: Zoo Keeper

romname: zookeep

Screenshot:
(click to see current MARP scores)

Reward: $50 (usd)

Deadline for submission to MARP: September 2, 2005 2359 hours GMT

Further Bounty: $250 (usd) for exceeding 100 million points by November 30, 2005.

Additionally, I will reward the highest scoring single jump in a recording submitted this week as follows: 8 million points = $25, 15 million points = $50, 30 million points = $100. In case of a tie, the player who winds up submitting the higher score for the week will get the prize. If you are in contention for the jump award please mention in your description when you submit how high your jump was. I will try to keep posted on this forum the highest jump so far with a link to the recording. If you make a recording with a high jump, but already have a recording submitted which scores higher overall, you may of course delete the higher recording and submit the lower recording with the higher jump, make sure it gets acknowledged by me, and then resubmit the higher recording.

The 100 million for the further bounty may seems like a lot, and well over the known record, but given the huge point values possible for jumps in this game, I don't think it's too outlandish.

As I've mentioned previously in these competitions, these games where you control a little slow-moving Mario type guy are not really my cup of tea. Had some connection problems and didn't get a chance to play at all this week, unfortunately. I would have liked to have tried to get a feel for the game a little bit. A lot of world-class players seem to be fond of it.

Interesting threads about the game:

http://www.twingalaxies.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4112

http://www.twingalaxies.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5651

http://www.twingalaxies.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5649

Starcade video of the game here:

http://www.jmpc.com/Starcade/Starimages ... Keeper.mov

Article on the game with the story of its development:

http://www.dadgum.com/giantlist/archive/zookeeper.html

Another page devoted to it:

http://www.digitpress.com/reviews/zookeeper.htm

Use WolfMAME .99

"On Deck" game: Kick Man
John Cunningham (JTC)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Remember, that Zookeper is in TG Bounties too ;)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

destructor wrote:Remember, that Zookeper is in TG Bounties too ;)
On the contrary, I forgot all about that. Let's see:
RMRUCZEK wrote:Bounty (4a) – Zookeeper (set 1)(Bounty Prize: $150.00) for arcade/MAME ROMset = “ZOOKEEP” Challenge Rating – 4.5 (out of 5) Challenge: Be the first player to successfully capture a 30 million-point jump onto videotape or a MAME INP file Rules and Settings – Novice animal speed = “39”, expert animal speed = “30”, three (3) starting lives, extras awarded after each successful completion of an escalator stage Bounty Prize - $150.00 (see bounty “4a”) Bounty Payable Date – ninety (90) days after mailing postmark of successful accomplishment Special Note – this is the ultimate achievement for this title…jumping every animal at once. To date, a 15 million-point jump has been verified, one animal short of the maximum. Rumour has it that years back this feat has been done by at least one player, but no one ever captured proof of these historic achievements, and so no 30 million-point jump has ever been accomplished. And I want to see it happen !!

Bounty (4b) – Zookeeper (set 1)(Bounty Prize: $1,000.00) for arcade/MAME ROMset = “ZOOKEEP” Challenge Rating – 9 (out of 5 !!) Challenge: Be the first player to successfully capture TWO (2) 30 million-point jumps onto videotape or a MAME INP file Rules and Settings – Novice animal speed = “39”, expert animal speed = “30”, three (3) starting lives, extras awarded after each successful completion of an escalator stage Bounty Prize - Special Bounty Payable Date – beginning with ninety (90) days after mailing postmark of successful accomplishment, bounty, two (2) equal installments of $500.00 each will be awarded to the extraordinary player who manages to pull this off.

Special Note – if someone manages to pull this “bounty” off before the single jump “bounty”, then Bounty “4a” becomes null and void effective immediately. However, if Bounty “4a” is accomplished at any point in the year, then Bounty “4b” is still in effect until Dec31/05. So that there is no misunderstanding, the same performance CANNOT be submitted for both bounty prizes.
Looks like basically he's offering $150 for an inp with a 30 million point jump and $1,000 for an inp with two 30 million point jumps, actually he's not clear that the two have to be in the same inp or game, but that must be what he means I think.

Anyway, he'll probably require WolfMAME .78, and I'm not going to go that far backwards. They're dragging there asses inexcusably on this and I'm not going to encourage them. If he would accept WolfMAME .98 however, I'd be happy to do the same so people could try to kill two birds with one stone.
John Cunningham (JTC)
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

yes, he requires 0.78 for bounty submissions.

I likely won't even play in this but would rather play in 0.78 if I play it.

TG is looking into adopting a newer version of wolfmame...but given the handful of versions just the past month we are wondering whether to wait for 0.100 and if that looks good adopt that.

we are taking our time on this because the next wolfmame adopted might be one we stick with for a long time.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Looks like Robert Griffin has kicked us off with a submission of 3.5 million.

Highest jumps I saw were two of 500k.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Robert Griffin
Button Masher
Button Masher

Fun Zoo Keeper bounties

Post by Robert Griffin »

Hello all,
I’d like to offer a couple of bounties for this Zoo Keeper contest. Nothing big, just a couple of “for fun” bounties. :)

1 = $15 – To the first person who can beat my personal best of 66,000 by the end of the Snake board (the second board), without any preexisting deaths. In other words: if you can get to the end of the Snake board without dying first, and your score totals 67,000 or better, you win the bounty. :wink:

2 = $15 – To the first person who can end the Rhino board (the first stage the Rhino’s appear on) with 7 or more consecutive Rhinos being tallied at the end of the stage. To clarify: when the stage ends and it tallies the points for the captured animals, the VERY LAST 7 IN A ROW must be Rhinos. Example: Snake-Rhino-Snake-Camel-Elephant-Snake-Rhino-Rhino-Rhino-Rhino-Rhino-Rhino-Rhino. My best is 6 in a row. :D

That’s it.

Send any qualifying .inp’s to rogrif@safeco.com

If and when someone claims the bounty, I will post it on this site and no further submissions will be accepted.

Winners will be paid within 72 hours via PayPal.

Thanks,
Robert*
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

interesting.

man, 66k on snake? wow.

I had 1 million after the first moose level one game. :P
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Sunday's bonus points go to Robert Griffin
John Cunningham (JTC)
flop
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by flop »

What happened to Roberts Score? it looks like it's been reset to 0.

Cheers
Flop
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

It looks like Robert tried to zero and delete all of his recordings at MARP, not just Zookeeper. No idea why.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

flop wrote:What happened to Roberts Score? it looks like it's been reset to 0.
For reasons of his own not related to MARP or GEGOTW rules, Robert wishes to remove the recording he submitted Saturday night from display.

It was a valid submission, but now cannot be eligible for GEGOTW. Today's bonus points are up for grabs.

Robert indicated he may submit another recording if he has time, and I hope he does.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Tuesday's bonus points to Donald.

Didn't catch what his highest jump was, but obviously wasn't in the 8 million range.

John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

And with Robert's latest submission we see a 1 million point jump at 402,550.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Thursday's bonus points to Robert Griffin.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Results:
1st: Robert Griffin 2,794,250
2nd: BBH 1,525,900
3rd: Don Hayes 1,468,250

Robert takes first plus 4 bonus for 14 total.

Don takes third and 2 bonus for 7 total.

A little surprised there weren't stronger submissions on this one.

Congrats to Robert in his first GEGOTW win. PM me your Paypal address.

Don't forget about the further bounty.

http://www.gegotw.net/news.html
John Cunningham (JTC)