See introduction here

The Game: Woodpecker

romname: woodpek

Screenshot:
Image(click to see current MARP scores)

Reward: $25 (usd)

Deadline for submission to MARP: June 3, 2005 2359 hours GMT

Further Bounty: none

Just looking for a platform game that hasn't been done to death.

Somebody figure out what the "B" and the "E" stand for.

Use WolfMAME .96

"On Deck" game: Solar Quest
John Cunningham (JTC)
lippsman
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

The E

Post by lippsman »

The E is for energy when you eat the cheese. That little greenish/blue square. You can go a killin' when you eat it. I'm guessing the B is for Bird power. I've never seen it not be full yet. Although, I've only gotten to level 3.

Louie
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

I know for what is B bar. I didn't have time for test this game early.

Does it not issue strange that game has one joystick only and has no one button or second controller? Yes it's strange, cabinet with stick placed somewhere on panel (on middle?) and no button.

B bar is similiar to bomb bar in Air Buster. Yes, this B bar is for bomb.
This is MAME bug. Game should have 1 button - bomb button. MAME developers set adress this button to Service Mode. Game don't have Service Mode.
When you play and press F2 (set Service Mode to ON) you use bomb, and B bar change color to gray and next decrease. You can't throw next bomb until bar will be green again.
For throw next bomb you must press F2 two times, because you must first set key value to OFF and next to ON. It should be automatically set to OFF after throwing bomb I think, but because it's set as Service Mode button you must manually set to OFF (maybe Barry can fast change it for us?).

When you press fire button enemies fly out from stage for a moment.
And this is why scores on MARP are low, because finish level 3 or 4 without this bomb is impossible (without life lose).

Then configure Service Mode key as fire button and good luck in this week.
Last edited by destructor on Sat May 28, 2005 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lippsman
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Info

Post by lippsman »

Thanks for the info Destructor.

Weehawk. Maybe the game should be changed since it really doesn't work completely.

It makes since to have something to gain an advantage. The bomb that is. Sometimes you are on one of the red houses and you are just trapped there until time runs out.

Louie
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

We don't must change game. Signal from F2 key is written to inp file. You must only 2 times press fire button. This is not big problem because you must wait so for fill out B bar before throwing next bomb.
Game looks interesting.
lippsman
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

well

Post by lippsman »

It doesn't bother me at all. I can adapt. But this is info that maybe everyone may not have. It would be an unfair advantage. Yes I know that everyone playing the GEGOTW probably reads this thread. But it's not a huge deal. The game just started.

So I guess you have a good score already. You don't want to lose that $25 bucks. :lol:

Well at least this time you didn't have to erase a score to get a chance to win the money. [-X

Louie
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: well

Post by destructor »

lippsman wrote:So I guess you have a good score already. You don't want to lose that $25 bucks. :lol:
No, I never play on this game early. I didn't play on any game from GEGOTW early, maybe a bit on 1942, mpatrol and centipede but without big results (results were almost null :D)
:wink:
lippsman wrote:Yes I know that everyone playing the GEGOTW probably reads this thread.
Everyone playing the GEGOTW must read this thread because no info about it in TV on BBC Channel :lol:
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

destructor wrote:This is MAME bug. Game should have 1 button - bomb button. MAME developers set adress this button to Service Mode. Game don't have Service Mode.
When you play and press F2 (set Service Mode to ON) you use bomb, and B bar change color to gray and next decrease. You can't throw next bomb until bar will be green again.
For throw next bomb you must press F2 two times, because you must first set key value to OFF and next to ON. It should be automatically set to OFF after throwing bomb I think, but because it's set as Service Mode button you must manually set to OFF (maybe Barry can fast change it for us?).
How in God's name did you figure this out?

And I don't seem to be able to remap the Service mode button to something other than F2. How are you doing it? When I change it using the "Input (general)" => "Other Controls" menus, it still recognizes the F2 button and not the one I specify.
John Cunningham (JTC)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Yes, I check it, and can't reconfigure Service key (MAME bug?). We must use F2 key for bomb.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Uses the same inputs as Naughty Mouse. Makes me wonder if even the DIP switches will do what they claim...
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

No scores for sunday bonus points? 8O I don't play in saturday and sunday because no time.
Today I tested game. Game is marathonable.

PS. Be careful when press F2 key for bomb. Don't press F1 key by mistake - it's cheat.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Tuesday...destructor...bonus...yawn
John Cunningham (JTC)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

I think that can be the end 'yawn' :D I see score from excellent player - NotMan 8)

EDIT

Thursday's bonus points for me.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Results:
1st: destructor@HotTeam.pl
2nd: NotMan
3rd: Phil Lamat

And 4 bonus points to destructor. (nobody submitted in time for Sunday's)

http://www.gegotw.net/news.html
John Cunningham (JTC)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

High score on stage 3, NotMan.
I have inp with high score on stage 1:
Attachments
woodpek_stage1.zip
stage 1 woodpek wolf96u1
(4.72 KiB) Downloaded 334 times