Golden Era Game of the Week 4/30/05: Moon Patrol

Golden Era Game of the Week
http://www.gegotw.net/

Moderators: Marco Marocco, Weehawk

QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

I never tried the williams version much but I gave it a few tries today. It seems that it is harder than the mpatrol romset actually. There goes my chances of beating my previous score again *sigh* Seems like a curse ;) Anyway, now it is a real challenge.

Seriously though, it is more than a challenge. I can get arround 300-400k on this romset so far and it is not likely that I will try it more for this week. Maybe for the wr later on. At least I can feel safe IF (and it is a HUGE if on this romset) I get into the zone and get 3 3/4 champ course on one man :)

Oh what is the difference? So far I have only noticed that the space ships casts about twice as many bombs as they usually do.. but I can tell you that that IS the worst thing that can happen in this game..making these "not 100% sure" spots even more risky :( the other enemies seems the same though. Even those who makes holes into the ground.

Oh and according to the TG site a ref has verified my score and I used the williams romset default settings which is NOT true. I used the mpatrol romset (deca 2001) TG settings, and Mark Longridge verified it. Same as all the other scores on that list. Strange that Ir says "referee" for me and "inp" for the other.
QRS
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Need more money for more vodka, I'd presume. :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
lippsman
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

TG Moon Patrol settings

Post by lippsman »

Well.......

Take a look at this..... http://www.twingalaxies.com/index.aspx? ... 40&vi=5215

Louie
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Results:
1st: QRS
2nd: Sampras
3rd: destructor@HotTeam.pl

Some excellent play this week, and some valuable discoveries about the ROMsets.

While QRS earns the cumulative points for first place plus two bonus points, he unfortunately did not quite better his previous score and the monetary prize will go to Sampras.

The further bounty is still available, but note that, since Twin Galaxies has updated its rules to require the "mpatrolw" ROMset, and since this was most likely what Eric Ginner used to set his record of 740k, and it is not affected by the glitch discussed in this thread, I will require the Williams' Electronics version "mpatrolw" be used to claim the further bounty. The original post will be edited to reflect this.

Sampras takes second place and 4 bonus points for a total of 11.
John Cunningham (JTC)
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

The TJT wrote:John,
You need a new rule for GEGOTW: If you have submitted a score at a game, and deleted it...you still have to beat the deleted score to get gegotw price.
agreed.

I'm actually a bit confused about some of the scores Destructor was deleting though... cuz you know Parodius and Ultra Balloon sure aren't going to show up in GEGOTW anyway.

If Destructor really is deleting scores because he thinks they might show up in a tournament like this, then that's pretty sad. A great player shouldn't have to resort to pulling crap like that. And I don't think JTC intended to ever have people deleting their old recordings on MARP.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

BBH wrote:
The TJT wrote:John,
You need a new rule for GEGOTW: If you have submitted a score at a game, and deleted it...you still have to beat the deleted score to get gegotw price.
agreed.

I'm actually a bit confused about some of the scores Destructor was deleting though... cuz you know Parodius and Ultra Balloon sure aren't going to show up in GEGOTW anyway.

If Destructor really is deleting scores because he thinks they might show up in a tournament like this, then that's pretty sad. A great player shouldn't have to resort to pulling crap like that. And I don't think JTC intended to ever have people deleting their old recordings on MARP.
Problem with that is there's no quick way of checking for deleted recordings.

And you're right...of the scores des deleted, the only ones I saw that might have been GEGOTW material were Wizard of War and Spectar, and I probably wouldn't have used them any time soon because they were used in DECA last year.

Destructor is nuts, what can I say?
Weehawk wrote:Bear in mind, if I suspected a player was deleting good recordings just on the chance that they might be used for GEGOTW at some point, I could deliberately avoid those games, just out of spite.
John Cunningham (JTC)
sampras
Button Masher
Button Masher

Re: Golden Era Game of the Week 4/30/05: Moon Patrol

Post by sampras »

Weehawk wrote:Golden Era Game of the Week

I will allow the use of WolfMAME .78 for the further bounty only.
I don't understand if for the further bounty is only allowed WolfMAME .78.

Sorry for the stupid question but english is not my best language :D

Ciao Sampras
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

sampras wrote:

Sorry for the stupid question but english is not my best language :D

Ciao Sampras
You may use WolfMAME .78

You may use WolfMAME .95

Momentarily, you will probably be able to use WolfMAME .96 (Barry is compiling)
John Cunningham (JTC)
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

sampras wrote:

You can use wolf 0.78 or the most recent wolfmame release for the further bounty. However, wolf 0.78 was not accepted for GEGOTW, but that's over now. Incidently, you might not be able to use wolf 0.78 anyway since it's an older rom version.
Aurcade - Find the coin-op games you want to play!
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

The_Pro wrote:Incidently, you might not be able to use wolf 0.78 anyway since it's an older rom version.
It was only an extra PROM added to each of the sets. Exactly what the PROM contains, I'm not sure, but I'd doubt it'd have a big impact on the way the game runs.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

mahlemiut wrote:
The_Pro wrote:Incidently, you might not be able to use wolf 0.78 anyway since it's an older rom version.
It was only an extra PROM added to each of the sets. Exactly what the PROM contains, I'm not sure, but I'd doubt it'd have a big impact on the way the game runs.
And the MAME that didn't use it would ignore it anyway, yes?
John Cunningham (JTC)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

The TJT wrote:Hehe.
--------

John, look at uploads, up section.

Des deleting good first places...Xybots, Pacmania etc classics, only classics? This guy thinks that rules are for finding holes, shame.

Des, I have plenty of 1sts at true classics, but still it seems very rare that my games are picked. If they were chosen for gegotw, I could beat myself in a week at most of them, apart from few. Should I delete trackfld recording because it might be chosen for gegotw...No way!
gegotw price.
Sorry, but I don't have time for example for next 4,5 hours inp on Kyros or other marathon games.
And second point: I hide some of my scores before view.

And next point. Player1 has score 2mln on game "game". Game "game" is in GEGOTW and 100$ is for win. Player1 made 1,9mln, player2 and next players made about 100k. And player1 don't win 100$. He made 1,8mln more than other players. For me this is not good.

About Further Bounty.
John did you thought about some bonus points for Further Bounty?
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

destructor wrote: Sorry, but I don't have time for example for next 4,5 hours inp on Kyros or other marathon games.
Kyros is not going to be a GEGOTW game. And even if it was (which it won't, trust me), the usual marathon rules of one hour would apply.
And second point: I hide some of my scores before view.
Why? You're not interested in good sportsmanship?

You're a great player but I really have lost a lot of respect for you.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

destructor wrote:About Further Bounty.
What? People need to be bribed to take my $250?
John Cunningham (JTC)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Weehawk wrote:
destructor wrote:About Further Bounty.
What? People need to be bribed to take my $250?
No :) I thought about 2 points for example, not about 100 points :) Never mind.
BBH wrote:Why? You're not interested in good sportsmanship?
Yes, I'm interesting. If someone want to watch my inps I can send it by e-mail for example.
BBH wrote:You're a great player but I really have lost a lot of respect for you
I'm sorry.