Golden Era Game of the Week 11/6/04: Popeye

Golden Era Game of the Week
http://www.gegotw.net/

Moderators: Marco Marocco, Weehawk

dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

I'm also strongly considering some sort of procedure much like what MJS proposed for WCC purposes in this post:

viewtopic.php?p=31687#31687

I've thought about doing it one week just for experimental purposes. My one misgiving is that it makes the entry of initials painfully dangerous. Some games can be tricky on the initial entry screen and I'd hate to see a great performance get disqualified because of a mistake there.
One potential problem I see with this sort of system: what happens if someone happens to be on a great game that stradles the time period where the required initials change? There would be no way for the player to know what initials should be entered.

I'd suggest not changing something like this for the rest of the current GEGOTW challenges (ie, the next five weeks or so). If you're going to start a new set of GEGOTW after the new year, that would be the time to implement it. This also allows a few weeks to really discuss and consider all the options.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Results:
1st: Greg Erway
2nd Sawys@jvrm.net

8O

Guess everybody else hated it too....

Even a token submission like mine would have been worth 5 points to somebody.

Hope nobody was confused about their relation to GMT changing when they went off Daylight Saving Time. GMT doesn't change.
Last edited by Weehawk on Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
John Cunningham (JTC)
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

sawys@jvrm.net also submitted a score. :)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

JoeyL21988 wrote:sawys@jvrm.net also submitted a score. :)
Oops....I forgot to watch that one.

And Greg barely beat him!

I'll edit later when I can confirm it.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Ian Sutton
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Ian Sutton »

I actually recorded an ok score for this but forgot to upload it. I downloaded the open beta for World of Warcraft and let's just say you tend to lose track of time. Lucky for me Donald didn't submit a score. :)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Ian Sutton wrote:I actually recorded an ok score for this but forgot to upload it. I downloaded the open beta for World of Warcraft and let's just say you tend to lose track of time. Lucky for me Donald didn't submit a score. :)
I'm afraid to ask what you would consider an "OK" score.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Ian Sutton
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Ian Sutton »

Weehawk wrote:
Ian Sutton wrote:I actually recorded an ok score for this but forgot to upload it. I downloaded the open beta for World of Warcraft and let's just say you tend to lose track of time. Lucky for me Donald didn't submit a score. :)
I'm afraid to ask what you would consider an "OK" score.
Nothing spectacular, just 104k. Doh!
dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

Guess everybody else hated it too....
Well, I do dislike the game somewhat but it is better than Ghosts and Goblins and a few others I could name :).

Unfortunately, I had almost no time to play this week and I wasn't near my gaming computer for most of the day today, especially around the submission deadline. After seeing Greg and Sawys' scores I figured Ian would put in *something* which would make my upload moot anyways. I think my high last night was a rather pathetic 11K.