I personally never cared for it.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

dbh wrote:
Literally can't stand to play this one.
Then why did you pick it??? :roll:
If I avoided games that I didn't like, an awful lot would be unavailable for the competition, including some of the most popular ever.

Some games have fooled me. I never cared for Crystal Castles, but sort of got into it when I played it for a week for this challenge. I almost wanted to continue to try to get better....I said almost.

Others have been worse to try to play seriously than I would have imagined from playing them on rare occasions just to see what they were like. Elevator Action for example.

This one was just unbearable. I'd rather chew tinfoil than play it, but it's a classic. Someone must have liked it. Eric Ginner must not have hated it too much. He scored 800k on it.

If some of the top players have trouble with it, so be it. Maybe it will give someone else a chance.

Bottom line is: I want to have variety in the games used, even if it means using some games I don't like myself.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Ian Sutton
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Ian Sutton »

I sorta concur with you guys. It may have something to do with the fact that I never much liked Popeye the character, or that Olive Oyl just doesn't do it for me. She's no Betty Rubble! Still I'll give it a go.
LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by LordGaz »

This game is cool, used to play it down the pier between games of Mr Do! and Hypersports ;). Didn't get very good at it though.

Gaz
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

again John kills me...a great friend of mine and I had a vicious competition at this game back in the 80s.

I can't remember my high score but do remember getting to the 4th loop.
Ian Sutton
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Ian Sutton »

Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Tentative plans for the last 5 weeks:

Tommi had mentioned to me that he was interested in QB3 and I asked him to him report if he discovered any major glitches in the game. He did not, and it wasn't hard for him to guess that I was considering it for GEGOTW purposes.

I thought since he knows I ought to tell everyone else, and while I'm at it I might as well let everybody know that I've pretty much decided on what the last five games are going to be.

After Popeye will come Guzzler, Gravitar, Bullfight, QB3, but I think I will keep the last game a secret until the announcement. Bear in mind these are subject to change at any time for any reason, or for no reason at all. :wink:

I'm also strongly considering some sort of procedure much like what MJS proposed for WCC purposes in this post:

viewtopic.php?p=31687#31687

I've thought about doing it one week just for experimental purposes. My one misgiving is that it makes the entry of initials painfully dangerous. Some games can be tricky on the initial entry screen and I'd hate to see a great performance get disqualified because of a mistake there.

I'd be interested to hear what others think of the idea.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

that's a good idea. But, isn't it still a suspect for last minute submissions, if you take the last coded initials and make the recording with it but withhold it till the last minute those initials are acceptable.

I was tossing around the idea of forcing multiple recordings, each having a dead line (say once every other day or every third day), and the better average score would win out over the max best score. This would not only dissuade last minute submissions (since even if you had the best score at the last minute you're average would be harder to increase at the last submision), it would also prevent potential cheating on one excellent recording when the cheater can't actually play for average. But it has the disadvantage of requiring multiple games and multiple deadlines (not unlike the issues with entering the intials code wrong.)
-skito
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

I often do mistake when enter initials because:
1. My hands tremble when I do mega-score
2. In analog games sometimes enter initials is impossible especially when use keyboard
3. In some games is impossible use backspace for delete wrong previous letter

Games can be without initials because:
1. Last moment recordings can be without initials because I use ESC during play
2. I have 255 lives and I don't have time to kill all left lives and next enter initials

viewtopic.php?p=31687#31687
Stupid idea, more than stupid.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Chad wrote:that's a good idea. But, isn't it still a suspect for last minute submissions, if you take the last coded initials and make the recording with it but withhold it till the last minute those initials are acceptable.
Say Monday's initials are "MON"...you would have to submit that on Monday for it to be legal. Say Friday's initials are "FRI"...you wouldn't know until Friday that those were going to be the initials required, so you couldn't record in advance.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

yes but still for FRI you could record it early friday but not submit it till the last second... better but not perfect.
-skito
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

destructor wrote:Games can be without initials because:
1. Last moment recordings can be without initials because I use ESC during play
2. I have 255 lives and I don't have time to kill all left lives and next enter initials
Well, I think we'd be avoiding a situation like that in GEGOTW anyway.
destructor wrote:Stupid idea, more than stupid.
Oh well, if I decide to try it you won't be required to participate. :wink:
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Chad wrote:yes but still for FRI you could record it early friday but not submit it till the last second... better but not perfect.
And if I were that concerned about that I could issue two sets of initials a day, or a set every hour...however tight I wanted to go to the trouble of making it.
John Cunningham (JTC)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Weehawk wrote: I thought since TJT knows about qb3 I ought to tell everyone else
Damn, can't you keep a secret ;)
Weehawk wrote: , and while I'm at it I might as well let everybody know that I've pretty much decided on what the last five games are going to be.
Interesting, that will give more time to practice on a game, if u skip ones you don't like. Which is kind of cool.
Des wrote:I often do mistake when enter initials because:
1. My hands tremble when I do mega-score
Wellcome to humankind :)