Post by Weehawk »

Golden Era Game of the Week

See introduction here

The Game: Gorf

romname: gorf

Reward: $100 (usd)

Deadline for submission to MARP: July 2, 2004 2359 hours GMT

Further Bounties: $250 for exceeding 653,990 by October 1, 2004

Comments: Thought I'd go for another well-known classic again this week. I don't remember hating this one this much in the arcades. I just can't get past how slooooooow the ship is.

The record for the arcade machine is held by Todd Rogers, and Walter Day himself has recorded a score of 140k+ on the title. Let's see what someone can do in MAME on it.

Use WolfMAME .83
John Cunningham (JTC)
dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

I just can't get past how slooooooow the ship is.
Yes, compared to the real arcade machine this is really sluggish. And the real arcade machine is sluggish to begin with!

Just wanted to clarify this as well, the game doesn't appear to give out the bonus man that it's supposed to after mission 5 so all scores will be three ships only, correct?
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

Uploading the sample bug version of Gorf. I think Wolf83 is suffering from emulation speed bug. I don't remember playing at arcade where the galaxian level the enemy ship move very very slow than normal mode. Sluggish version... I think not.

I think AlphaMame 62 or M35tg3 might work. Less buggy version?

Btw, The sound must be off while recording. The game may desync on later level if the sound nor samples is on. I'm not quite sure if it still works on Wolf83.

Good Luck!

NotMan
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Absolutely, this game is not giving same kind of LOADS of extra men, as I got at Las Vegas playing the original machine. (I could see Walters face, when he said that "he is good at gorf":) Also Ron C did say that he tested with original arcade and mame...and came to conclusion that mame ship is much slower.

just for 250 dollars(the best movie alltime) you can forget, extra ships and ship speed is not even close Todds play.

I think I must beat me 8)
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

That is weird! You can change the dip switch to mission 5 to no bonus. That will give you free ship on mission 5. So, I don't know if that game give more free ship every 5 mission or something that I miss. I think the dip switch are screwed up.

Btw, the game suffer from the sound emulation which slow down the game not emulation bug. Tried with sound on and sound off! Got the same result.

Hey TJT! Why don't you try to beat your own score! Heh! Heh!
Thanks to Ron C. for confirming the difference between arcade version and mame version.

I think that I'll probably will play on M35tg3 which I prefer the original color (Lt blue screen on the first level) than modified color (cyan) Ugh! I must be blind playing on the cyan on the first level.

I'll let John decide what he want to do about this game. I don't think anybody could rack up over 100k without bonus ship and slowdown?

Later,

NotMan
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

NotMan wrote: Hey TJT! Why don't you try to beat your own score! Heh! Heh!
I definitely will...but that guy is so hard to beat..allmost not human, eh heheh eh...

Will try later, now I have MASSIVE hangover creeping in, shuuu! shuuu!
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

I guess have to watch my own inp to remember the game. Now being quite drunk...not even passing first flagship.... So lesson of the day is, don't be drunk when play Gorf. Last time played the game at classic gaming expo 2001, ummm June? It was hot there though!!! (insert sweating smiley here)

TJT

Tac Scan 840 000, mame
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Note well:

1) I have tried several earlier versions and find the sluggishness of the ship not improved, so I see no reason as yet to stray from WolfMAME .83

2) Sluggishness also seems not to be improved by playing without sound, and my own test recordings seem to play back properly with sound, but feel free to play without sound if you prefer. Remember playback by myself or someone I trust will be required.

3) The dipswitch settings on this game are backwards. Setting the "Bonus Life" dipswitch to "Mission 5" (the default) gives no extra ship. This is currently the setting used for MARP regulation play, and we will use for this week's challenge. Setting the "Bonus Life" dipswitch to "none" gives you an extra ship (not loads, just the one) after the first flagship is destroyed. You may use this setting if trying for the further bounty, and it may be submittable to MARP at some time in the future if the MAME team fixes the dipswitch problem. (the default should be to give the extra ship).
John Cunningham (JTC)
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

TJT
Tac Scan 840 000, mame
840k on Tac-Scan? No way! I got to see this recording. It nearly impossible to pass the beyond 10th warp tunnel (wormhole?) without having 2 or 3 side-split and lots of reserve ships. Oh! I see that TJT is using the spinner, now instead of joystick/keyboard. Ughh! It's been over 5 years ago, since that l played that game.

TJT
Now being quite drunk...not even passing first flagship.... So lesson of the day is, don't be drunk when play Gorf.
Heh! Heh! Maybe you shouldn't do it on Galaga, either. I prefer to do the drunk version on Donkey Kong or Ms. Pacman Turbo while playing drunk.

Back to Gorf. I need more practice before I could reach 30k.

Later...

NotMan
sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by sawys »

Hi John !
This post just to told you that i made a record on MARP for the GEGOTW on gorf.
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Looks like recordings made with -nosound are faring better on playback.

Strongly recommend it.

Sticking with WolfMAME .83 for now.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

a quick search of gorf in playbackabilty states samples might be required/not required as well...
-skito
Todd Rogers
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Todd Rogers »

Greetings,all
Ok how do i get started ill try and make a stab at this weeks challange of GORF. This game has no real patterns but it does however have some methods of game play that youll want to use.
TIPS:
The first wave is the Space Invaders try and shoot ALL the bottom invaders but the last one on the left then work you way back to the right hand side and pick the invaders off as they move to the right. A good game when you do this method your invaders will never make it to go back to the left.
The second wave the Laser Blast Shoot the Laser ships first this way they cannot corner you on either of the sides. Be aware that the enemy ships at times disappear when they over lap and if you are flying your ship around and didn't notice them disappear you'll blow up if you hit them. Never run into the point value after you shoot an enemy because youll blow up again on any wave.

The third wave the Galaxians shoot from the right hand side middle and work your way to the right. make sure in this wave you move about freely because you again do not want to get trapped in the corner. As you float around the field shoot at random and you'll hit more so there are less to swarm you.

The fourth wave Space Warp is easy but hard if you don't know what to do try to go up and to the center you shoot as quick as possiable in this wave because the enemies appear from the center as they circle you you avoid the fire balls and move in the opposite direction of the enemy so they cannot corner you between them and the fire balls. Again shoot at random till you kill them and automatically go back to the center as before and back away accordingly.You can use this wave in the later stages as a resting board because its the only wave that you can just let the enemy spiral around you and just avoid the fireballs.

The Fifth and final wave the Mother Ship always go off center to the right and shoot thru the force shield and maybe with luck you can do a 2 shot kill. Other wise after you miss rapid fire on your way back to the left clearing away the force shield so you can better shoot the ship. You can use this wave as a point wave you either shoot as fast as you can to finish the wave or shoot the ships to milk for points.

Back to wave one but you are on the next level of difficulty so good luck in making some great scores.

Todd Mr Activision Rogers
May you always know how to use your JoyStick
Twin Galaxies Atari, Intellivision & Game Cube Referee
http://www.beatthechamp.com
http://www.twingalaxies.com
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Gorf = ONE BIG BUG.
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

tjt wrote:Do you think my flag ship tactic is SEXY?
i am trying not to think about it .

your score will fall .
all hail a supreme gorfian blah , blah .
gorfians conquer another galaxy .
bad move space general .