Post by Weehawk »

Golden Era Game of the Week

See introduction here.

The Game: Beezer

romname: beezer

Reward: $25 (usd)

Deadline for submission to MARP: June 25, 2004 2359 hours GMT

Further Bounties: none

Comments: Apparently this game was produced only as a conversion kit for existing Galaxian or Pac-Man machines, and is pretty rare.

I wanted a lesser-known game this week, and I'm a sucker for anything that's different. Sort of an interesting game, but I found the control to be pretty poor.

The recording that I will upload is just the second I bothered to record after playing a few times to try to figure out how things work.

Trapping the bees seems sort of pointless to me until you get down to the last one. Once a trap is done there is not much more chance to trap more bees. For the most part I just waited for the queen to come out and lay an egg. Once you collect the egg you have some time to go after the bees and kill them. If you don't get all of them you can wait for another queen to come out and lay another egg, but if you get killed, all the bees for that level are regenerated.

Also, there apparently is bug in the game that will limit play. If there are nine bees on the screen and an egg hatches, the game resets.

Any method of scoring points will be acceptable for this challenge. In case anyone finds an infinite leech I will limit play to one hour. Only the score after 216,000 frames will count.

Use WolfMAME .83
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

This game apparently suffers from the .63 bug.

Destructor's 81,300 only plays back for me if I force my computer into what I call the "tainted" mode.

This also explains why he couldn't play my recording.

Feel free to use Alphamame .62 for this game. This should allow more people to play your recording. Also it may be required for MARP submissions in future.

You can get it here:
http://mahlemiut.marpirc.net/alphamame-062-3.zip
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Results:
1st: destructor@HotTeam.pl

That was simple.

And his mastery of the game was really pretty astounding considering he'd probably never played the game before last week.
John Cunningham (JTC)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

I before this week didn't play on beezer. In this week I play about 20-30 times. Game is very easy and can be marathonable.