Game of the Week

Golden Era Game of the Week
http://www.gegotw.net/

Moderators: Marco Marocco, Weehawk

seymour
Site Admin

Game of the Week

Post by seymour »

There was some discussion a while back about a game of the day, which seemed to make more sense as a game of the week.

So, to see how something like this would go, I just created this forum. It will be just for fun, for a little friendly competition between the players on MARP. There have been little mini-battles between people in the past on lots of games, and it just adds to the fun.

I haven't really thought up any special rules for it, other than to have someone pick a game for that week, and then have people play it ;)

To kick things off, let's give The Astyanax [astyanax] a try. If you don't want to upload your recording to MARP (or can't because your score doesn't beat the one you already have on MARP), just attach it (zipped, of course) in a reply to the topic for that game. I guess I'll let the informal competition go until Sat Jan 31 23:59 GMT.

Sound good? Ok :)
Last edited by seymour on Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chris Gushue
MARP IRC/Forum Maintainer
http://gushue.net
seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

Oh, and for future game selection, possibly let the "winner" of the previous week pick a game? With a limit on how many times in a row they are allowed to choose the game (so that BBH or someone like that doesn't get to pick the game every week ;)). And then maybe go with 2nd place, or a random selection of the people that have participated.

Or something like that. Again, this isn't official, so we can adjust as we go along, to whatever works best.
Chris Gushue
seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

More ideas floating around in my head...
  • Alternate weeks of playing and not playing, possibly depending on other ongoing competitions/tournaments on MARP, and interest in this format.
  • Set up some more defined, yet relaxed, rules. This is more for fun than serious competition.
  • I thought I had more ideas, but I guess that was it for now.
If this works out, I do plan on keeping track of the scores and positions and whatever other relevant data. Just for bragging rights :)
Chris Gushue
LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Re: GOTW

Post by LordGaz »

Is it possible to have Game Of The Day: Astynax actually on the MARP homepage itself or on the MARP news page? I feel it would get noticed more by newcomers and passers by that way instead of just by the regulars. Even better would be to write into the webpage script to have the game changed randomly everyday/week although I like the idea of having the highest scoring participant choose the next game but that requires outside work by an editor.

Also if no one plays a Game Of The Day that would be fine, MARP would just randomly select a new one the next day. My original idea was just to have a game mentioned on the homepage that might inspire one or two people to play and upload, not to force competition or make someone like Destructor feel obliged to prove himself on a game. Just my feelings.

Perhaps we could have a compromise between a daily and weekly game and have it biweekly, just an idea :idea:.

Gaz.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

1.Maybe points for leaderboard x2 if you get first place in selected game?

Example: 1st on MARP in game 'Rygar' is 1000 (example only :) ) and leader get 100 points. If at end of week you beat this score then you get no 100 points but 200 points.

2.Maybe all positions x2?

It's only my sugestion :wink:
seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

I don't think something like this should have anything special to do with the leaderboard at all. Which is one reason why I mentioned just attaching the .inp to a post in the forum if you didn't want to upload the recording to MARP, for whatever reason (like having an existing higher score there, or just not wanting to upload).

It's more for fun than anything else. And maybe opening up new games to people to try.

A Game of the Day would be a little too often, I think. And having it random could end up with the same game (a game and its clones) or game type multiple times in a row. Hopefully, the "winner" of the previous Game of the Week would pick something that they wouldn't necessarily get #1 on with ease, but something new to try, or a less-played game they want to give some attention to.

There probably should be something on the MARP page about the Game of the Week, though. Which game, a link to the forum topic, etc. Not a news entry like the rest, but something dynamic that is just before the news section.
Chris Gushue