beaminv

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

beaminv

Post by tar »

Beam invaders was released on mame 62. It is currently unavailable for submission at marp. It is a small rom ;8k. No sound. The players vessel drifts to the right. It's black and white<a relic>. Will it be on the list in the near future :?:
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

if it's in mame and it's not broken then it's proly at marp or will be if somethings broken but that's rare. what is the 8-or-less character mame name?

EDIT* oh beaminv duh... :)
-skito
kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by kranser »

It's definately called BEAMINV, and it isn't on MARP currently (I was unable to submit a score). I think it was missed by mistake! Any chance of getting it added?

Kranser.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

And what about Strikers 1945 III???
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

kranser wrote:It's definately called BEAMINV, and it isn't on MARP currently (I was unable to submit a score). I think it was missed by mistake! Any chance of getting it added?

Kranser.
I asked Pat to archive this game as I thought the going of to the left on its own was a bug. But if it isn't a bug, and really must be so, then the game should be added to the database. Sorry, about that :)
Frankie
kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by kranser »

Aren't archived games already in the database, but no scoring system is present - i.e. no points?

Or are archived games only archives of old recordings but no more can be submitted?

If the later is ture then, as one of MARP's purposes is to allow the sharing of game replays, maybe archived games should still be able to be sumitted, so that others can enjoy the recordings, just that no scoring will be available for the games in quesion.

Anyway, I don't know if it is a bug or not, it could be in the original game design so that you would need to keep either left or right pressed to stop the automatic movement.

Kranser.
diabolik
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by diabolik »

kranser wrote: If the later is ture then, as one of MARP's purposes is to allow the sharing of game replays, maybe archived games should still be able to be sumitted, so that others can enjoy the recordings, just that no scoring will be available for the games in quesion.
Sure you can submit recordings for archived games, they just don't give you any leaderboard points. Just remember to put asterisk in front of the short game name. For example *chqflag or *sbm
kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by kranser »

Ah, great! Thanks alot, that works.

Now, that only leaves the other mystery, Strikers 1945 III, where is that game in MARP?

It needs to be added either as archived (due to game play being too slow on most PCs), or as a normal entry.

Regards,
Kranser.
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

kranser wrote:Ah, great! Thanks alot, that works.

Now, that only leaves the other mystery, Strikers 1945 III, where is that game in MARP?

It needs to be added either as archived (due to game play being too slow on most PCs), or as a normal entry.

Regards,
Kranser.
I really do not believe a game being too slow on many computers is a good reason to be archived. The game works correctly, as long as you have a fast enough computer. Another good example of this would be Crusin USA, which not many can play at 100% speed currently.
kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by kranser »

I really do not believe a game being too slow on many computers is a good reason to be archived. The game works correctly, as long as you have a fast enough computer. Another good example of this would be Crusin USA, which not many can play at 100% speed currently.
Does that mean that recordings of slow games (s1945iii, Crusin, maxforce, etc...) will not be available/submittable in MARP until the average person has a computer up to speed?

Kranser.
DRN
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DRN »

I don't think there is a computer available at the moment that can play the Crusin' games at 100% unless you have a home built monster with dual processors or something. Two pentium 4 3Ghz's, that would be nice :lol:
Darren
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Dual CPUs isn't going to be any help with MAME.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

Not untill the emulation programs in mame are made multi threaded. Seems like it could be done, especially if a game uses multiple types of cpu emulators. It won't be done soon.
-skito
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

kranser wrote: Does that mean that recordings of slow games (s1945iii, Crusin, maxforce, etc...) will not be available/submittable in MARP until the average person has a computer up to speed?
no
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

kranser wrote: Does that mean that recordings of slow games (s1945iii, Crusin, maxforce, etc...) will not be available/submittable in MARP until the average person has a computer up to speed?

If you replace it to "..until someone has a computer up to speed?" I guess the answer is yes :)

They are available for upload though.. but they will be delated for slowdown when they are checked
QRS