ARCA project, arcade world record list (pdf document)

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

francoisadt1
Button Masher
Button Masher

Re: ARCA project, arcade world record list (pdf document)

Post by francoisadt1 »

Hi Ghemant

Thanks for your reply.

Using nr.60 Gauntlet as an example. How will one go about get the information for Top3 of the LOV list.
Pac-Man, Galaga and Donkey Kong?

Let's tackle the Asian score boards.

What are the process you did follow (and one of us need to follow) to gather:
- where the game score are kept (links to sites)
- who the custodian is of the information
- Get the Game information
- Get the score of the applicable game
- Settings of a game played
- Strategies used to play the game from the gamer or witnesses?

How do you get hold of the person(s)? What are the sites links you have used?

Regards
Francois du Toit
francoisadt1
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by francoisadt1 »

Hi Ghemant

Thanks for your reply.

Using nr.60 Gauntlet as an example. How will one go about get the information for Top3 of the LOV list.

Regards
Francois du Toit
toto64
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by toto64 »

Wow! You even faked the date of that screenshot. You're literaly a blob wearing human skin.
Novice
The greatest info supplyer

Post by Novice »

toto64 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:39 am Wow! You even faked the date of that screenshot. You're literaly a blob wearing human skin.
DEFCON=2

everything I want to know about you is "what was your name?" that's all.
DEFence CONdition
WAR 1<< >>7 PEACE
GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by GHEMANT »

toto64 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:39 am Wow! You even faked the date of that screenshot. You're literaly a blob wearing human skin.
You are a troll. French maybe. From now on you will be considered as a spammer and you will never receive any consideration again. Furthermore, you will soon find out what your alternative identities are, because toto64 is just an alternative nickname.
GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by GHEMANT »

francoisadt1 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:31 pm

I paste a part of the text of the Arca which is important to underline:

"Japanese score monitoring system - The Japanese method of gathering hi-scores is much different from the American one and can be considered as the most accurate ever conceived, although it's not exempt from flaws. At first, only Japanese original versions are used, as we said they often differ in the score system from US or World. It's opportune to underline that on the Nipponese market no other version has ever been present, only in the last years some MAMEcabs appeared, on which anyhow eventual new records are not accepted. For the realization of records, the default conditions are adopted for all games, exception made for some few special cases which request particular variations (see Meikyu Jima); this regulations or eventual following modifies on the score monitoring are from time to time proclaimed on the Arcadia magazine. All rankings are intended to be for single player, although in rare occasions a ranking for two players in cooperation has been considered (Tough Turf, 1941, 1943, Kyukyoku Tiger 2 etc.). The rules have been meticolously estabilished by the conduct of the magazines Gamest (1986~1999) and Arcadia (1999~present) with an apposite professional staff designated for the occasion, that possesses all the information related to games obtained directly from the software houses. This fact doesn't though prevent the discovery of possible invalidating patterns even after many many years after the launch of a game, such to make necessary the exclusion of the title from the score gathering. Games affected by these problems are in fact excluded from the gathering. This may happen with the launch of the game or in the moment of the identification of an infinite pattern (similar cases have been registered even after twenty years like for Daioh or Battle Garegga). There are specific regulations for some titles that present minor troubles, at times of casual nature (like Sengoku). As Japan is the birthplace where arcade games are produced, the knowledge of the software can be considered almost absolute, and this allows to manage at best any sort of problem that, incidentally, usually seem to be unknown to the rest of the globe and still today, in many cases, are not known. The only really negative aspect of the score monitoring system in Japan is instead represented by control panels. These turn out to be heavily modified, with autofire, synchronizer or multi-frequency devices, mapped buttons, macros etc., that helps the player in obtaining scores optimized to the highest skill. This process of panels manipulation developed since the end of the 80s and it deepened year after year, until our time. Not all the records use or need such manipulations. Usually, but of course not always, the application of these methods doesn't lead to an effective increase of the score but simply guarantees an energy saving for the player, so to allow to execute several consecutive tries in the same day without decreasing in quality of performances. The phenomenon is so widespread and well-estabilished that there's no way to identify who makes use of it or not, except when that is specified in the comment associated with the score. The scores generated with these devices often are not separated, but in rare occasions distinguished rankings have been instituted. This practice, furthermore widespread in China and adjacent countries, is the only thing that makes the Nipponese score gathering system imperfect. It must be said that often the same player asks for determined modifies or frequency of the control panel directly to the game center manager. These are requests that managers easily accept, as keener players are considered a real investment, because for the realization of a record they are disposed to invest capitals in a range of 100.000~1.000.000 yen (a single game costs 100 yen). Then, it is necessary to complete the game, or better said, if in the database an all clear score is already present, next record must be necessarily superior and including the completion of the game. Only titles considered are the ones distributed in the Japanese territory from 1985/86, that is when Gamest began to operate. Games conceived in Japan, but distributed only in foreign countries, are not considered. For marathonable or subject to infinite loops titles, the first player only that reaches ten milion points is registered, it isn't considered as well the sum of points in dynamic counter stop (games in which counter resets after reaching its maximum). All records published on the magazines are identified as top of Japan and never claimed as world records, also there aren't comparisons with (or mentions to) scores outside of the Nipponese territory. The huge number of players involved (dozens of thousands), together with the number of game centers present in the country (the highest in the world) and the greatest level of competition matured since the beginnings of arcade era, makes the quality of Japanese records so elevated than in any other country of the world. Obviously this doesn't make it impossible to beat Japanese records, especially with the possibility of studying the games through advanced featured of emulators, that nowadays allow studies which are even more analyzed of what could be done in a game center. The Nipponese system for the monitoring of scores is the one that most of all reaches the concept of world record, exception made for the input boards manipulation context, that alter, in a soft or less soft way, depending on the game, the player's performances, compared to a title traditionally played. A negative aspect of the Japanese database is about its capacity of being consulted. We're talking in fact of a data archive that can not be consulted, as it's transcribed exclusively in Japanese language and not published via Web. Also, it can be of use only by possessing all the number of Gamest, Arcadia magazines, JHA (208 issues + 168 issues + 49 issues for now), there isn't in fact any special summarize of the entire archive. A closed database, then, to the only Nipponese enthusiasts of the record, that makes the archive, like it always have been, precluded to the users of the rest of the world. A last note is about records that can be recovered through the web. The database of Arcadia considers only the gathering of scores that took place in game centers. Any result, even if real and visionable, but made in private or with an emulator, won't be considered. Players who realize scores registered with emulators are not compelled to submit to Arcadia rules, so eventual scores regained from the web that should beat those of Arcadia must be evaluated with extreme care. To move yourself through the world of arcade records is not easy at all. Everybody can confirm a final score by watching a MAME replay or a video, but you must have a deepened knowledge of regulations and specific games in order to determine if the used techniques are or aren't legit or anyhow comparable with other releavant known results. Without the confirmation of a presence really expert in the theme, it may happen to claim scores as valid when instead they are not. Without a person who confirms these data and who is an expert in this stuff, you could make important mistakes. Some scores might be listed as real, whereas they are not. Several case studies of this type were discussed on Marp, as well as the supposed world record of 988.000 points in Legend of Hero Tonma, made by Pac, a spanish player. This record was then declared as incomparable with the previous japanese score of 977.400 points. In fact the spanish player (Pac) consciously made a leeching till to the end of the time, and he didn't finished the game."

All my work is based on japanese arcade official database. We know well that conceptually the "world record" does not exist, because each country uses different rules and above all there are different versions of the games. The Italian community has chosen to follow the Japanese database because we share a large part of its philosophy.
To know all Gamest / Arcadia high score database, you must know japanese language and have the physical copies of the magazines (376 issues). For JHA you can follow them:

- https://wiki.denfaminicogamer.jp/highscore/
- http://www.jha-arcade.com/
- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 2114507025
Gamest, Arcadia, JHA staff. I study Gamest magazine from 1997. During my long experience I understand many rules. I want to specify that I am Italian, I speak lousy English, and Japan is very distant both geographically and as a language barrier. I spent many years understanding the rules of the record publishing system, but certainly a Japanese user would be able to explain it better than me.
99.9% of the games are played with default settings, but attention, default in japanese version which is often different from others (US or European versions). To discover the settings, you must find the dip switch sheet of the original jap PCB.

Few informations publicly filters from players. Personally, since 2002 I started looking for Japanese players through social networks (mixi, twitter, discord, site etc.), by contacting them directly and asking them for informations. With great patience you can capture photos and videos.
Last edited by GHEMANT on Thu May 07, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by GHEMANT »

The ARCA project is not just the document you can read. There is an archive where data is stored.

I have many folder with informations and documents.

Image 1: I save original dip switch sheet settings to understand the correct settings to use (often mame have wrong settings). Is necessary for me know the correct infos to explain to Italian players what settings to use.

image 2: these are the total folder in Arca project.
Attachments
Immagine2 (FILEminimizer).jpg
Immagine2 (FILEminimizer).jpg (129 KiB) Viewed 15361 times
Immagine1 (FILEminimizer).jpg
Immagine1 (FILEminimizer).jpg (125.67 KiB) Viewed 15361 times
GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by GHEMANT »

I must have all the existing original material to be able to describe the correct names of the enemies and techniques in the document. To do this I collect the scans of the instruction cards and flyers of each game in the project (image 3).

I collect all photo/videos about the japanese high score database (image 4).
Attachments
Immagine4 (FILEminimizer).jpg
Immagine4 (FILEminimizer).jpg (147.83 KiB) Viewed 15360 times
Immagine3 (FILEminimizer).jpg
Immagine3 (FILEminimizer).jpg (127.08 KiB) Viewed 15360 times
GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by GHEMANT »

all italian top scores are archivied in special winrar packages that contain everything you need to view every game immediately, including comments and photos.
Attachments
Immagine5.gif
Immagine5.gif (137.67 KiB) Viewed 15360 times
PG3
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by PG3 »

Haggars are 3 at the beginning of stage 4. :)
http://replay.marpirc.net/r/captcomm
GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by GHEMANT »

PG3 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:35 am Haggars are 3 at the beginning of stage 4. :)
http://replay.marpirc.net/r/captcomm
I updated the data in the document. Thanks!
toto64
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by toto64 »

You talk about it here: https://twitter.com/Gemant_ZBL/status/9 ... 1569156102 and here: http://www.neogeofans.com/leforum/showp ... tcount=641, coincidentally after i showed you the post.

You are a lying sack of shit.
GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by GHEMANT »

toto64 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:32 am You talk about it here: https://twitter.com/Gemant_ZBL/status/9 ... 1569156102 and here: http://www.neogeofans.com/leforum/showp ... tcount=641, coincidentally after i showed you the post.

You are a lying sack of shit.
I have been registered on Twitter since May 2017, so I could not expose news before that date. But this photo shows that I spoke about it already in 2017, 1 year earlier than you say.

I hope you are banned forever from Marp, you are a virus.

Now you can go back to your normal job, which is to sell drugs.

toto64 Image
Attachments
Immagine1.png
Immagine1.png (345.05 KiB) Viewed 15134 times
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

Okay... I have to say this. And when I say "I have", I really have to. I could say much more but I'll stick to the essential.
As a public team-mate of Gemant, I do not approve of this behavior of his (i.e.: the insults).
And also I don't really approve that NObody else ever said a word about it in these days, like it's all permitted. (Just a shy attempt from Novice that encourages to not feed the troll)

I do understand the facts. I can read, I have read, demonstrating facts and replying to accuses is one thing.
I do understand that probably I'm not the best person in place to talk about behavior, since the Internet doesn't forget and doesn't forgive, there are posts of mine in this forum where I haven't been the kindest of persons to a Greek fellow we all probably know by this point (to whom I can even apologize now, sorry fellow for the harshest words, although apologies don't erase strong disagreements). Even though let's be honest, I haven't been "that" heavy and even if there are different interpretations of "heavy", this has happened years ago and that's certainly not a mistake I would repeat in the current day.
Beside all these understandings, obviously nobody forced you to reply to offense with offense. This is the part I do not approve, publicly (and privately).
I do not fear replies like "and I do not approve that you play sh**** games all the time, Giro", I guess it's okay if you think that but it doesn't matter. Even because I do have my simple reasons to play any game, but it doesn't hide what's happening here. So please spare me replies unless you have a magical explanation of how these are the appropriate replies of a 44 years old man.

It's a simple concept, defend yourself if you want to but a little bit more politely, please.
toto64
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by toto64 »

You used Photoshop to modify the creation date: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqN9Clu ... =emb_title

Again this is created with the help of Photoshop as this TWEET DOES NOT EXIST: Where is the link? Fucking troll rat!

On the other hand, this document proves that you had no clue about this pattern as of January 20th of 2018: https://www.mameretroavengers.com/wp-co ... 180120.pdf
Then the second link in my previous post proves that i informed another player at the same time as well.

January 20th 2018: Unknown pattern
April 2018: Known pattern but not the author
2020: The author