Emulating other systems?

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

seymour
Site Admin

Emulating other systems?

Post by seymour »

I'm sure that many of you play other systems besides MAME, the classics like nes/gb/sega/snes/etc, on to more obscure ones. I've always been into emulation, and it's just so easy these days compared to 20+ years ago between the hardware and software available. Fond memories of Nesticle back in the day!

So - what is everybody's setup for games like that? Currently I've been using Retroarch on my laptop, with my Buffalo SNES style USB controller. And last night I ordered a LDK Landscape handheld after a weekend of researching and watching dozens of videos on different Chinese handhelds available. I considered holding out until May (at the least) for the Odroid Go Advance with its much better performance, but most of what I'd be playing will work just fine on the LDK and it's way cheaper. Can't wait!
Chris Gushue
MARP IRC/Forum Maintainer
http://gushue.net
mahlemiut
Editor

Re: Emulating other systems?

Post by mahlemiut »

I mostly just use MAME for everything (including computer/console stuff), although I have Mednafen, VICE, Dolphin and PCSX2 installed, too.
I only have Retroarch installed for the auto-translation service it has, but since Retroarch is just a frontend with a collection of other emulator cores, I'd rather just use the relevant emulator.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
seymour
Site Admin

Re: Emulating other systems?

Post by seymour »

I enjoy having a frontend that's controller... controlled :) And looks nice. Retroarch isn't necessarily the nicest looking or with the best controls (hope you dont hit left/right while scrolling through a big list, or want to quickly search), but it's a nice option. At least there are others that look better with some work (emulationstation, etc).

Trimming down a pile of ROMs to just a few hundred good ones takes some work!
Chris Gushue
MARP IRC/Forum Maintainer
http://gushue.net