Question regarding Galaxy Games 2 playback

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

thegalagaking
Button Masher
Button Masher

Question regarding Galaxy Games 2 playback

Post by thegalagaking »

I recorded a game, then went to play it back and the cursor is all over the place (desyncing?). Is there something I'm supposed to do before recording? The INP breaks every time I play it back and I'm not hitting the F10 key during playback. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Stephen Krogman
The "Real" Galaga King

Galaga - Arcade - 15,999,990
Galaga - Arcade [TGTS] - 6,815,500
Galaga - Arcade [Fast Fire] - 11,999,990 [unofficial]
Galaga - MAME - 6,800,910
Galaga - MAME - [TGTS] - 6,320,040
Galaga - MAME [Fast Fire] - 20,518,900
thegalagaking
Button Masher
Button Masher

Re: Question regarding Galaxy Games 2 playback

Post by thegalagaking »

Okay, I did some homework and this is what I was able to figure out.

Apparently, wolfmame210 as well as wolfmame200 doesn't like NVRAM. I kept deleting the folder and it kept reappearing. Then I remembered a little birdie telling me many years ago that you can trick the program by deleting the NVRAM folder and the creating a new .txt file, then rename it to NVRAM and leave off the .txt extension. The program won't be able to create a NVRAM file because it sees there's another file with the same name in the mame folder. I did all of this and then tested it by recording 2 games and then playing them both back. They played back flawless. Then I played one of them back again and hit the F10 key to fast forward through the recording and then played it back once more. It stilled played back flawless.

So for the life of me, I don't know why this has to be, but I know it works now. I would still like to know if there's another way and why this happens. Meanwhile, I had a 1st place score on one of the games that took me hours to do, only to find out it won't playback and I have to replay the game again, probably for a few more hours... ](*,)
Stephen Krogman
The "Real" Galaga King

Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

thegalagaking wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:29 am Apparently, wolfmame210 as well as wolfmame200 doesn't like NVRAM.
Nothing to do with WolfMAME, but it is true that WolfMAME .71 through .106 disregarded NVRAM by default when recording and playing back. So the problem wouldn't have manifested with them.

thegalagaking wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:29 am I would still like to know if there's another way...
You could simply delete the NVRAM file for the game before recording and playing back. I think you can also set the NVRAM file path to NUL in the .ini file or using the command line, but the dummy NVRAM file method is easier and you are already doing it. I think Barry packages record and playback batch files with each WolfMAME release now which accomplish the same thing as well.

thegalagaking wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:29 am I would still like to know... why this happens.
For a MAME recording to play back properly, the playing back machine must start in the same state as the recording machine did. This requires them to start with the same NVRAM data. The easiest way to accomplish this is for both to start out with blank (no) NVRAM.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

I use the same trick of txt file named "nvram" without extension, and it works very well.
thegalagaking wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:29 am Meanwhile, I had a 1st place score on one of the games that took me hours to do, only to find out it won't playback and I have to replay the game again, probably for a few more hours... ](*,)
What game was it ? and what score ?
(just curious)
thegalagaking
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by thegalagaking »

Hi Phil,

That game that wouldn't playback, was Super Solitaire. I replayed it the following day and managed to beat my previous score with the one that's up there now (91,850). :o I just noticed I'm down to 3rd place now. Looks like I'll be playing some more games over the next few days. :)
Stephen Krogman
The "Real" Galaga King

Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

thegalagaking wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:59 am Looks like I'll be playing some more games over the next few days. :)
Well, good luck.
I f you only manage to get 2nd place, it will be ok for me :wink: